God doesn't need logic...we couldn't understand it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2014, 10:25 PM
RE: God doesn't need logic...we couldn't understand it
(11-01-2014 09:49 PM)BracesForImpact Wrote:  The problem is this. The very moment any believer starts to defend god, using any number of (horrible) apologetics, or the moment they start describing any attribute, characteristic, or desire of god, they are using logic. By their own very argument, this may now be safely discarded.

Yes.

If the ultimate endpoint is "God is unknowable" then it is the height of incoherence to get there by knowing things about God along the way.

But then, most of the time all that apologetics nonsense is only to reassure believers (who believe for subjective personal reasons if not cultural inertia!) with a veneer of reason. Certainly it doesn't stand up on its own!

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014, 11:34 PM
(11-01-2014 07:45 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So my best friend and I got into a discussion via facebook after my post basically explaining Matt Dilihunty's God/Mafia Boss comparison. He basically responded with the whole..If you could understand God's logic he wouldn't be much of a God would he. What????

So his god is incomprehensible and, by most measures, insane. Why is he trying to have a rational discussion about a deity(?) that he can't comprehend?
12-01-2014, 11:43 PM
If his god is incomprehensible, by what measure does he determine that his god is good? Consider

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-01-2014, 12:06 AM
(11-01-2014 07:45 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So my best friend and I got into a discussion via facebook after my post basically explaining Matt Dilihunty's God/Mafia Boss comparison. He basically responded with the whole..If you could understand God's logic he wouldn't be much of a God would he. What????

Why is this God just given a pass on this. He's not accountable for the logic in his messages, his actions, his tyranny?

The big stand point I had to make was this: If anything your God should be more accountable for the logic in his actions and words than anyone because of course he is all knowing and all powerful. He should be able to make it clear what he wants and be able to convey it to even the lowest common denominator.

I dunno I just don't see how anyone can accept this so blindly anymore its really disheartening especially when it's someone like this friend that I've known since pre k.

The thing is they don't accept it blindly.... When they resort to that tactic, you've touched a nerve and brought them face to face with real logic and shown his illogical their beliefs are.

I would respond by pointing out that they (the theists) are being hypocritical by on one hand claiming to know what God wants of humans, and on the other hand saying he is unfathomable...

Really, just the fact there are so many conflicting ideas all over the world, about who this God fella is, and what he wants shows that its got no basis in fact.

If there were any factual basis for any of it, the religious disagreements around the world could be settled through a scientific process. But since there is nothing but conjecture, religions inevitably end up fighting like children.

How many millennia have humans been knocking the shit out of each other over religion? Surely by now, some of these religious leaders would have realized that the argument is never, ever going to be settled?

What was the definition of insanity again?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Funny. If God's logic is "not understandable," then why are so many people absolutely sure on what this God wants and what I'm supposed to do about it?

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
13-01-2014, 10:28 AM
people cant even define this god.. what is with christians having different sects, different views and all say that THEY know who god is and wants..