God for President

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2012, 09:40 AM
God for President
Watching the republican convention last night I was disgusted and how God is such a huge selling point for the republican party. In the past I considered myself a "republican" but the more I hear them tout God as the personal buddy of the USA and their party the more I have to distance myself. The fact that they also use these beliefs to make policy decisions like gay marriage is frightening.

How do they not see that believing in a supernatural being that has their particular best interest in mind blows me away. And to think a man wearing magic underwear could be one of the most powerful men in the world freaks me out.

I feel like we are moving backwards not forward.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like free2011's post
31-08-2012, 08:49 PM
RE: God for President
(31-08-2012 09:40 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Watching the republican convention last night I was disgusted and how God is such a huge selling point for the republican party. In the past I considered myself a "republican" but the more I hear them tout God as the personal buddy of the USA and their party the more I have to distance myself. The fact that they also use these beliefs to make policy decisions like gay marriage is frightening.

How do they not see that believing in a supernatural being that has their particular best interest in mind blows me away. And to think a man wearing magic underwear could be one of the most powerful men in the world freaks me out.

Yeah, I cringe too when I hear them mention god. I noticed however that Romney uses the word "creator" rather than god. I would like it better if they all did that.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
31-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I couldn't hear anything but crowds chanting America so I stopped watching. I have to keep being reminded only the GOP wants America to exist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-08-2012, 09:17 PM
(31-08-2012 08:49 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 09:40 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Watching the republican convention last night I was disgusted and how God is such a huge selling point for the republican party. In the past I considered myself a "republican" but the more I hear them tout God as the personal buddy of the USA and their party the more I have to distance myself. The fact that they also use these beliefs to make policy decisions like gay marriage is frightening.

Yeah, I cringe too when I hear them mention god. I noticed however that Romney uses the word "creator" rather than god. I would like it better if they all did that.

Creator sounds odd to me though. Almost like they are trying to hide what they believe and be generic enough to make it seem like they are "just the same as you" (where "you" is whoever hears it). Creator could be "god" or it could be an alien overlord they believe did it. Or it could be anything, including a supernova of a massive star system that scattered "god the species" all over the universe making everyone in its image (I wrote a small "book" on that back in the 90s actually).

In any event, the thought that a person who can send military personnel to their deaths, or "push the button" and destroy the planet saying "well, god's in control in the end" is a scary thought--or not. It's scary because we see what god apparently does when he can push the button. It's not because, well, apparently the so-called god doesn't care to discipline people or even show he exists now, so we're probably safe from "god"--crazy people with an itchy trigger finger on the other hand doing what they think "god" wants....
31-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I really hate it when religion comes up in politics, so I can't really watch the republicans without rolling my eyes. It makes me want to move badly.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
31-08-2012, 09:30 PM
(31-08-2012 09:17 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 08:49 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Yeah, I cringe too when I hear them mention god. I noticed however that Romney uses the word "creator" rather than god. I would like it better if they all did that.

Creator sounds odd to me though. Almost like they are trying to hide what they believe and be generic enough to make it seem like they are "just the same as you" (where "you" is whoever hears it). Creator could be "god" or it could be an alien overlord they believe did it. Or it could be anything, including a supernova of a massive star system that scattered "god the species" all over the universe making everyone in its image (I wrote a small "book" on that back in the 90s actually).

In any event, the thought that a person who can send military personnel to their deaths, or "push the button" and destroy the planet saying "well, god's in control in the end" is a scary thought--or not. It's scary because we see what god apparently does when he can push the button. It's not because, well, apparently the so-called god doesn't care to discipline people or even show he exists now, so we're probably safe from "god"--crazy people with an itchy trigger finger on the other hand doing what they think "god" wants....

There are those that like to act like that is what they mean when they say creator instead of God.. but if you mention that the term creator in the Declaration of Independence could mean something in that sense, they deny that instantly and resort to stating it means God. I know Rick Santorum was in that camp.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Didn't youz guyz create a concept a while back... something to do with separating church from state?
When did that go out of fashion?

You should have written it down somewhere so you could remember it.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2012, 03:41 AM
The point these GOPers are generally trying to make is that our rights don't come from the government. They are then left needing to say where they do come from, and they generally then say "God", which ends up coming across in the ways you describe. If they would stick to the Declaration of Independence's notion of our creator endowing us with unalienable rights, it would leave open to everyone to identify their creator as they see fit (eg the Big Bang for me). Romney may stay away from the "god" word in certain instances because Mormon's believe in multiple gods, or he may be trying to broaden his message.

As for the "magic underwear" , the mormon garments are no odder than catholic's drinking the blood of christ or other bizarro features of other religions.
01-09-2012, 04:02 AM
(31-08-2012 09:21 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I really hate it when religion comes up in politics, so I can't really watch the republicans without rolling my eyes. It makes me want to move badly.

This is what I cannot stand. Why move away when you have the opportunity to remove the problem.
It's not as though atheism is on a decline in the U.S.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
01-09-2012, 06:39 AM
(01-09-2012 03:41 AM)Jeff Wrote:  The point these GOPers are generally trying to make is that our rights don't come from the government. They are then left needing to say where they do come from, and they generally then say "God", which ends up coming across in the ways you describe. If they would stick to the Declaration of Independence's notion of our creator endowing us with unalienable rights, it would leave open to everyone to identify their creator as they see fit (eg the Big Bang for me). Romney may stay away from the "god" word in certain instances because Mormon's believe in multiple gods, or he may be trying to broaden his message.

As for the "magic underwear" , the mormon garments are no odder than catholic's drinking the blood of christ or other bizarro features of other religions.

Except many people on the right believe the founders were all Christians (they weren't) and that the Constitution is based on Christianity or the Ten Commandments (it isn't).

They can't identify with a group of Enlightenment gentlemen composing a secular definition of government and so need to pervert those ideas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user