God gets mad a Saul for not killing everyone? How do people defend this ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 08:52 AM
God gets mad a Saul for not killing everyone? How do people defend this ?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...amuel%2015
God tells Saul to go kill all the Amelekites- men, women, children, infants, sheep... Etc
Saul kills all the people except the king- who he later murders.
God gets pissed when he finds out that Saul didn't kill the king and some livestock.
The passage says that god regretted making Saul the king. Besides justifying genocide, how do people explain how god could regret anything? It goes against the basic concept of knowing all. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 09:02 AM
RE: God gets mad a Saul for not killing everyone? How do people defend this ?
(19-08-2014 08:52 AM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...amuel%2015
God tells Saul to go kill all the Amelekites- men, women, children, infants, sheep... Etc
God gets pissed when he finds out that Saul didn't kill the king and some livestock.
The passage says that god regretted making Saul the king. Besides justifying genocide, how do people explain how god could regret anything? It goes against the basic concept of knowing all. Thanks

Just look up William Lane Craig, the go-to guy for genocide apologetics. Drinking Beverage

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2012/...-genocide/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2013/...homophobe/

"There is one important aspect of my answer that I would change, however. I have come to appreciate as a result of a closer reading of the biblical text that God’s command to Israel was not primarily to exterminate the Canaanites but to drive them out of the land. It was the land that was (and remains today!) paramount in the minds of these Ancient Near Eastern peoples. The Canaanite tribal kingdoms which occupied the land were to be destroyed as nation states, not as individuals. The judgment of God upon these tribal groups, which had become so incredibly debauched by that time, is that they were being divested of their land. Canaan was being given over to Israel, whom God had now brought out of Egypt. If the Canaanite tribes, seeing the armies of Israel, had simply chosen to flee, no one would have been killed at all. There was no command to pursue and hunt down the Canaanite peoples.

It is therefore completely misleading to characterize God’s command to Israel as a command to commit genocide. Rather it was first and foremost a command to drive the tribes out of the land and to occupy it. Only those who remained behind were to be utterly exterminated. There may have been no non-combatants killed at all. That makes sense of why there is no record of the killing of women and children, such as I had vividly imagined. Such scenes may have never taken place, since it was the soldiers who remained to fight. It is also why there were plenty of Canaanite people around after the conquest of the land, as the biblical record attests.

No one had to die in this whole affair. Of course, that fact doesn’t affect the moral question concerning the command that God gave, as explained above. But I stand by my previous answer of how God could have commanded the killing of any Canaanites who attempted to remain behind in the land." -WLC

Yep, he's one of those Divine Command Theory fucked in the head sadists...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-08-2014, 09:36 AM
To answer your question: It's all bullshit as evidenced by the contradictions.
19-08-2014, 10:09 AM
It's only offensive if it's true Wink.
19-08-2014, 12:17 PM
William Lane Craig is a fool for trying to prove Christianity with logic. Logic leads you to deism.

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I always wanted to know why this so-called "all-knowing god" was so surprised when Saul fucked up....or David banged Bathsheba. Shouldn't he have known how all that would turn out?

How can 'god' be surprised when his plans turn to shit?

I never get an answer to that from the jesus freaks.

I wonder why?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-08-2014, 12:24 AM
(19-08-2014 12:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  William Lane Craig is a fool for trying to prove Christianity with logic. Logic leads you to deism.

Assumptions lead you to belief in the supernatural, not just logic. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-08-2014, 12:39 AM
(19-08-2014 08:52 AM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  God tells Saul to go kill all the Amelekites- men, women, children, infants, sheep... Etc
Isn't this a retelling of the story (in the Book of Numbers, I think) where Moses was angry because his captains had not killed all the Midianites?

Sapere aude
20-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Gotta give apologetic's a little credit for being able to come up with bullshit on the fly. I think they should have a service where you pay them to have them create alibi's for you.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
20-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist:

[Image: Better-Call-Saul.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post