God-guided evolution......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: God-guided evolution......
Bucky Ball Wrote:God said (to himself) the reason Adam was not to eat the apple was that Adam would become immortal, "like us". He said NOTHING like you claim.
You just made this up. There is no such claim in the book of Genesis.

Bucky Ball Wrote:There are no gaps in Evolution. You don't know anything about it.
I didn't say that there are gaps in evolution. You say that I said this. But you are WRONG.

Bucky Ball Wrote:You could buy into anything ...
And your point is....?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2017, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 02:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-02-2017 11:53 PM)port_of_call Wrote:  
jason197754 Wrote:How would you respond to someone who believes both in God and in evolution???

Think about the monkey-humans we used to be. If you believe in both evolution and God, then we can already assume you don't take the Bible literally. So, make 100% of the Bible metaphor. Now you have to invent a story that aligns the Biblical metaphor with the story of evolution.

That story could describe monkey-humans who one day wake up with the conscious ability to know God. This could be your new Adam and Eve.

This might work for you, but you have to admit that it's a story you made up. You might start to wonder if the many creation stories found in each of the world religions were also stories someone made up.

All of the creation myths are fictions including the scientific ones. It's just that science-based myths have enough explanatory power to be called theories. We understand how things could kinda sorta be this way if the story holds true. All of them are weird, but the scientific ones are the weirdest of them all. Reconciling theism with evolution doesn't seem hard, reconciling the various religious creation myths against the scientific ones is more strained but think I could still do it. You got a lot of flexibility with myths to draw parallels. Yes

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-02-2017, 03:21 PM
(26-02-2017 01:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Bucky Ball Wrote:God said (to himself) the reason Adam was not to eat the apple was that Adam would become immortal, "like us". He said NOTHING like you claim.
You just made this up. There is no such claim in the book of Genesis.

Genesis 3:22- And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Genesis 3:23- Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

(26-02-2017 01:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Bucky Ball Wrote:There are no gaps in Evolution. You don't know anything about it.
I didn't say that there are gaps in evolution. You say that I said this. But you are WRONG.

From post 109:

(26-02-2017 09:05 AM)Alla Wrote:  So, I can believe in God, in Genesis creation story and in evolution. But there are gaps in creation story meaning there are gaps in the book of Genesis, and there are gaps in evolution theory.

Caught you lying again, and also every post you make validates you are a liar after saying you wouldn't post here again. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
26-02-2017, 03:29 PM
(26-02-2017 01:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:How do you decide what's to be taken literally vs metaphorically?
You don't because you can't unless it is revealed by God (if we assume that He is real).
And now we're back around the circle again to where we started. One must assume god exists, and that he talks to people, and then divine the difference between your own thoughts / imagination and the voice of god.

I wasn't asking the question from that perspective or with those assumptions though. I was making the point that interpretation of anything -- not just scripture, but what you're reading right now, any prose or speech -- is subjective and prone to misunderstanding. So we need a way to minimize that. If you start with scripture then you're starting with a lot of metaphor and hyperbole-laden vagueness that is characteristic of holy books generally, and you end up with people arriving at many different conclusions from the exact same text. Each one of them convinced they have it right. Each one claiming, directly or indirectly, that god revealed it to them.

It is often said that holy books are "timeless" but what they really are is sufficiently vague to serve as good templates. People see in them what they want / need to see because their pattern-matching brain "finds" what they seek for.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
26-02-2017, 03:45 PM
mordant Wrote:And now we're back around the circle again to where we started. One must assume god exists, and that he talks to people, and then divine the difference between your own thoughts / imagination and the voice of god.
I agree.
My point is this:
1) if there is no way to know what is symbolic and what is metaphorical we shouldn't even try to interpret books of the Bible.
2) if I don't try to interpret the Bible at all I can believe in God, in Genesis creation story and in theory of evolution.
P.S. LDS Doctrine allows me to do this. So far LDS interpretation of creation story doesn't require me to deny theory of evolution.

26-02-2017, 03:56 PM
(26-02-2017 03:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:And now we're back around the circle again to where we started. One must assume god exists, and that he talks to people, and then divine the difference between your own thoughts / imagination and the voice of god.
I agree.
My point is this:
1) if there is no way to know what is symbolic and what is metaphorical we shouldn't even try to interpret books of the Bible.
2) if I don't try to interpret the Bible at all I can believe in God, in Genesis creation story and in theory of evolution.
P.S. LDS Doctrine allows me to do this. So far LDS interpretation of creation story doesn't require me to deny theory of evolution.
What value does the Bible have for you? Do you read it? Appeal to it? Ignore it? Is your faith based on what you feel god says to you alone? If so, how do you manage to remain a member of any church? Sooner or later "god" is going to disagree with the creed you are following.
26-02-2017, 04:03 PM
TheInquisition Wrote:Genesis 3:22- And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
Genesis 3:23- Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
OK, where does it say that THE REASON WHY God told Adam not to eat the fruit (BTW, there is no mention of any apples) was because Adam would become "like one of us" immortal.
May be Adam was already immortal.
God told Adam "do not eat the fruit, you will die the same day you eat the fruit". Adam ate the fruit and he died the same day. To be more exact Adam died the moment he bit the fruit.

TheInquisition Wrote:Caught you lying again, and also every post you make validates you are a liar after saying you wouldn't post here again. Drinking Beverage
Check again. I didn't say that evolution has gaps. I said that the THEORY of evolution has gaps.

Define word "liar" Smile

26-02-2017, 04:12 PM
mordant Wrote:What value does the Bible have for you?
I believe it has some value. I believe there is truth in it.
mordant Wrote:Do you read it?

Yes.
mordant Wrote:Is your faith based on what you feel god says to you alone?
No. It wouldn't be enough for me. I would constantly ask myself: "is this God talking to me(giving me thoughts)? or this is just my own thoughts?"

26-02-2017, 04:32 PM
(26-02-2017 01:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  You just made this up. There is no such claim in the book of Genesis.

Too bad for you, there is, (and you are NO Biblical scholar).
Genesis 3:22 : "See. The man has become like one us US, knowing both good and evil. Therefore he must not be allowed to put out his hand, and take fruit from the tree of life ALSO, and thus eat of it, and LIVE FOREVER."

Obviously, you know NOTHING about the Bible.

Quote: I didn't say that there are gaps in evolution. You say that I said this. But you are WRONG.

Too bad for you. You DID say EXACTLY that.
(26-02-2017 09:05 AM)Alla Wrote:  So, I can believe in God, in Genesis creation story and in evolution. But there are gaps in creation story meaning there are gaps in the book of Genesis, and there are gaps in evolution theory.

Bucky Ball Wrote:You could buy into anything ...
And your point is....?

My point is, that the fool who buys the nonsense of Mormonism could literally buy into ANY garbage ANYONE makes up. You are totally gullible and have no capacity for judgement, AT ALL.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Bucky Ball Wrote:Too bad for you, there is, (and you are NO Biblical scholar).
Scholars-shmolars.
What do they know?

Bucky Ball Wrote:Genesis 3:22 : "See. The man has become like one us US, knowing both good and evil. Therefore he must not be allowed to put out his hand, and take fruit from the tree of life ALSO, and thus eat of it, and LIVE FOREVER."
From this verse we learn:
1)Adam became like one of them knowing good and evil.
2)Adam was not allowed ANY MORE to eat from the tree of life and live forever.
Nothing about any reasons.

Question.
1)was Adam allowed to eat from the tree of life before he ate from the tree of knowledge? The book of Genesis says "yes, FREELY". So Adam was allowed to be like one of them and live FOREVER(to be immortal). No need of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Conclusion: God didn't tell Adam not to eat from the tree of knowledge so Adam would become immortal like one of them and live forever.

Oh, scholars-shmolars. They always make up stuff.