God-guided evolution......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: God-guided evolution......
(26-02-2017 07:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 07:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No one here cares what you believe.
You know nothing about the Bible, or Evolution, or anything else, for that matter.
You are SO uneducated, you said Jesus was Yahweh.
You can't say what the gaps are in the Theory of Evolution.
Bucky Ball Wrote:God said (to himself) the reason Adam was not to eat the apple was that Adam would become immortal, "like us".
It doesn't make any sense. Adam could FREELY eat from the tree of life and live forever(to be immortal).
Genesis doesn't claim what you say. You just made it up.

And you are a liar. I quoted Genesis, and it's very clear what it says.
You wish it didn't. It does.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-02-2017, 10:44 PM
(26-02-2017 01:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  
port_of_call Wrote:If we were all there existing in some spiritual form before we were born, and chose to reject any relationship with God, then it doesn't seem necessary for there to be an Adam and Eve. We are all Man and Woman, Adam and Eve.
why? please, explain.
Because there would be no need for a "time" when monkey-human Adam and Eve "woke up" to eat the apple. The critical disobedience happened long before they were born.

port_of_call Wrote:That's pretty much how I used to think about creation when I was a Christian. I thought that if I was Adam (or Eve... or both) then I was in the Garden every day either inviting a relationship with God or rejecting God by saying "I don't want you, I just want your stuff." I'm someone who carries a strong sense of wonder and I live in a beautiful place close to nature. So I had lots of opportunities to worry about whether I was "hoarding" the stuff of creation for myself and rejecting a relationship with the one who made it.
OK. Why did you think that? Any particular reason?
Because I felt a lack of the relationship I was supposed to have/feel with God.

port_of_call Wrote:The church told me the way to a relationship with God was through prayer, fasting, and sacraments. These things are actually okay at cultivating relationships with other humans, so I found a way to not worry too much as long as I kept participating.
why would you need prayer, fasting and sacrament in cultivating relationship with humans? why do you say it is ok?
Any kind of positive shared experience cultivates human relationships.

port_of_call Wrote:I always had trouble with prayer. There were just too many other interesting things to do
So, you didn't care about personal relationship with God. Correct?
No, I wanted a personal relationship quite a lot. I thought it would be exciting to communicate with my Creator and ask the big questions "why am I here?" "what is the meaning of life?" etc. But private prayer felt too much like talking to myself for me to feel comfortable with it. I was much better at corporate prayer. I now know that I enjoyed corporate prayer because it helped me get to know other humans.
[+] 1 user Likes port_of_call's post
26-02-2017, 11:48 PM
(26-02-2017 05:48 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 04:12 PM)Alla Wrote:  I believe it has some value. I believe there is truth in it.

Yes.
Well I am confused. You say you can't interpret the Bible or determine when it's being literal and figurative and yet you read it and believe it has some value despite that you can't determine what it means.
Hi mordant. I assume there is no prohibition against bringing science into these kinds of discussions. Tell me, is the automatic assumption here that God must be the biblical one? Is Creationism the default assumption for God?

Mystic
The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it. Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD), Meditations
26-02-2017, 11:59 PM
1) I don't offer my interpretation of creation story
2) nobody can understand it(the story) unless God reveals true understanding.
3) no, Bucky Ball, there is no such quote in Genesis: "God said (to himself) the reason Adam was not to eat the apple was that Adam would become immortal, "like us"."
4) Genesis claims that Adam could eat freely from the tree of life. Genesis claims that those who eat from tree of life can live forever(be immortal.
5) If Adam could eat from the tree of life freely and live forever, why do you make up that God said to himself: the reason Adam was to eat the apple(sorry, fruit) was that Adam would become immortal?
6) You have no clue what creation story is about because God didn't explain it to you

7) Nobody can respond to me while I believe in creation story, in God and theory of evolution.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
27-02-2017, 12:01 AM
(26-02-2017 11:48 PM)MysticPhD Wrote:  ...
Hi mordant. I assume there is no prohibition against bringing science into these kinds of discussions. Tell me, is the automatic assumption here that God must be the biblical one? Is Creationism the default assumption for God?

Welcome to TTA.

Very few things are prohibited here.

For most of us the automatic assumption is that god is a comfort blanket.

Use protective clothing when you attempt to remove it.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Bucky Ball Wrote:You have no education in Religion or Biblical Studies, yet here you are, telling people how they HAVE to understand things "correctly".
Thanks God, I have no education in religious or Biblical Studies. If I did then I would have to make my own understanding and believe it is true.

27-02-2017, 12:09 AM
(26-02-2017 11:48 PM)MysticPhD Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 05:48 PM)mordant Wrote:  Well I am confused. You say you can't interpret the Bible or determine when it's being literal and figurative and yet you read it and believe it has some value despite that you can't determine what it means.

Most of the talk here is about the biblical God, just because we mainly have Christians and ex-Christians here.

I always try and bring science into everything, and religion folds like a bitch every time!

Although evolution-savvy religious guys don't believe in "creationism" any more, they still generally subscribe to some situation where their boss guy created everything by magic. Just not 6,000 years ago.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2017, 12:13 AM
port_of_call Wrote:Because there would be no need for a "time" when monkey-human Adam and Eve "woke up" to eat the apple. The critical disobedience happened long before they were born.
I agree. If they disobeyed while being spirits they wouldn't have monkey-human physical bodies.
They disobeyed after they got those monkey-human physical bodies.

port_of_call Wrote:No, I wanted a personal relationship quite a lot. I thought it would be exciting to communicate with my Creator and ask the big questions "why am I here?" "what is the meaning of life?" etc. But private prayer felt too much like talking to myself for me to feel comfortable with it. I was much better at corporate prayer. I now know that I enjoyed corporate prayer because it helped me get to know other humans.
Thanks for the answer.

27-02-2017, 12:16 AM
Robvalue Wrote:Although evolution-savvy religious guys don't believe in "creationism" any more, they still generally subscribe to some situation where their boss guy created everything by magic. Just not 6,000 years ago.
I don't believe that biblical God created everything by magic.
BTW, even the Bible doesn't claim such thing.

27-02-2017, 12:19 AM
The bible says he spoke, and stuff appeared. I know theists don't use the word "magic" specifically. But from an outside point of view, it sounds no different.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post