God-guided evolution......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 04:26 PM
RE: God-guided evolution......
(29-11-2016 04:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Jennybee

I still don't like sound of this. Saying that it is about truth as spiritual term is just woo for me. It's even worse than I previously thought - we have special truth just for us.

But in the end I care not about what Jews believe as long as it does not have impact on my life.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

All religions have a special set of spiritual truths or tenets or beliefs (any word you would like to use) just for themselves. That is how religions function.

I think it is better that their religion is just for themselves, rather than meant *for all.* The problem with Christianity is that they can't keep their excitement for Jesus in their pants so it infiltrates all of society, science, other people's lifestyles. You do not find that with Judaism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 04:34 PM
(29-11-2016 04:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Jennybee

I still don't like sound of this. Saying that it is about truth as spiritual term is just woo for me. It's even worse than I previously thought - we have special truth just for us.

But in the end I care not about what Jews believe as long as it does not have impact on my life.

So if we were trying to sell you on our truth, then that would be bad. But we're worse because we're not trying to convince you? You're fine doing your thing, and we're also fine doing our thing ...and this is bad?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
29-11-2016, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 04:44 PM by Szuchow.)
@Jennybee

I would use word fairy tales. Fairy tales they (believers) dishonestly seek to call the truth in effort to feel special - it's no small thing to have creator of universe share the truth or a truth with you and your fellows.

Again I don't care for Judaism. It may be better than Christianity but it still is religion a thing that I held in contempt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 04:43 PM
@Aliza

You don't get to call your myths true and expect that everyone will accept it. I care not for your religion but that does not mean I won't speak against things that sounds bad to me.

My beef is with specific quote not Judaism in general, even if I despise religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 04:47 PM
(29-11-2016 04:38 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Jennybee

I would use word fairy tales. Fairy tales they dishonestly seek to call the truth in effort to feel special - it's no small thing to have creator of universe share the truth or a truth with you and your fellows.

Again I don't care for Judaism. It may be better than Christianity but it still is religion a thing that I held in contempt.

Their beliefs are not dishonest to them--to them it is part of their culture, legacy, identity, who they are as people.

I don't care for religion myself, but I do respect people doing things to honor their own heritage, out of their own free will, without it infringing on the lives of anyone else. If it doesn't impact me or the world around me and it makes them happy, then who cares?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 04:48 PM
(29-11-2016 04:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Aliza

You don't get to call your myths true and expect that everyone will accept it. I care not for your religion but that does not mean I won't speak against things that sounds bad to me.

My beef is with specific quote not Judaism in general, even if I despise religion.

I don't think Judaism asks anyone to believe or accept our Torah. Why would we?
29-11-2016, 04:50 PM

But they don't expect everyone to accept their beliefs. Their beliefs are what they follow *within their own culture.* And Aliza also said that they will often readjust their beliefs to fit into science and the modern world, as Judaism is a religion that was meant to grow with the times.
(29-11-2016 04:48 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

I don't think Judaism asks anyone to believe or accept our Torah. Why would we?
I hate to sound rude but I don't care about what Judaism asks. I only took issue with one specific quote which I think is nonsensical.

Mikhail Bakunin.

I would use word fairy tales. Fairy tales they (believers) dishonestly seek to call the truth in effort to feel special - it's no small thing to have creator of universe share the truth or a truth with you and your fellows.

But you took the quote out of context.
29-11-2016, 04:53 PM
(29-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

But you took the quote out of context.
If you say so.

Divining The Truth from "Holy Texts" or proclamations of priests never was something that I were good in.

Mikhail Bakunin.