God-guided evolution......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 04:56 PM
RE: God-guided evolution......
(29-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Aliza

You don't get to call your myths true and expect that everyone will accept it. I care not for your religion but that does not mean I won't speak against things that sounds bad to me.

My beef is with specific quote not Judaism in general, even if I despise religion.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

But they don't expect everyone to accept their beliefs. Their beliefs are what they follow *within their own culture.* And Aliza also said that they will often readjust their beliefs to fit into science and the modern world, as Judaism is a religion that was meant to grow with the times.

They don't expect everyone to follow their beliefs? That's good. Still their beliefs aren't truth*.

*Yes, yes spiritual truth whatever that means.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 05:01 PM
(29-11-2016 04:53 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  But you took the quote out of context.
If you say so.

Divining The Truth from "Holy Texts" or proclamations of priests never was something that I were good in.

They go out of their way in the article to say this is not history. This is a book of (a) or *our* truth--meaning a book of our legacy, of our culture.

So right out of the gate, they say this is not an account of history--this is an account of *our* culture, of *our* heritage, of *our* truth (i.e what we as a Jewish people believe). As such, the word "truth" is used in terms of the Jewish belief system as it pertains *to them."
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 05:03 PM
(29-11-2016 04:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  But they don't expect everyone to accept their beliefs. Their beliefs are what they follow *within their own culture.* And Aliza also said that they will often readjust their beliefs to fit into science and the modern world, as Judaism is a religion that was meant to grow with the times.

They don't expect everyone to follow their beliefs? That's good. Still their beliefs aren't truth*.

A spiritual truth is also known as a tenet. A tenet is defined as a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 05:06 PM
(29-11-2016 05:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:53 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  If you say so.

Divining The Truth from "Holy Texts" or proclamations of priests never was something that I were good in.

They go out of their way in the article to say this is not history. This is a book of (a) or *our* truth--meaning a book of our legacy, of our culture.

So in short this is book about (among other things) history. Not truth, history.

I don't agree with your interpretation.

Quote: So right out of the gate, they say this is not an account of history--this is an account of *our* culture, of *our* heritage, of *our* truth (i.e what we as a Jewish people believe). As such, the word "truth" is used in terms of the Jewish belief system as it pertains *to them."

For me using the word truth in regard to book of myth smacks of arrogance and wanting to feel special. I already wrote my piece though, no sense in repeating myself.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 05:10 PM
(29-11-2016 05:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  They don't expect everyone to follow their beliefs? That's good. Still their beliefs aren't truth*.

A spiritual truth is also known as a tenet. A tenet is defined as a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy.
For me spiritual truth is just a woo term used to hide pretensions for having the real, non spiritual truth. Like: our book show us The Truth [science happen] well it was just alegory hiding the deeper, underlying truth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 05:16 PM
(29-11-2016 05:06 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  They go out of their way in the article to say this is not history. This is a book of (a) or *our* truth--meaning a book of our legacy, of our culture.

So in short this is book about (among other things) history. Not truth, history.

Quote: So right out of the gate, they say this is not an account of history--this is an account of *our* culture, of *our* heritage, of *our* truth (i.e what we as a Jewish people believe). As such, the word "truth" is used in terms of the Jewish belief system as it pertains *to them."

For me using the word truth in regard to book of myth smacks of arrogance and wanting to feel special. I already wrote my piece though, no sense in repeating myself.

It's not my interpretation, it is what the article says. It's not a history book. Have you read the Torah or the Bible/OT? They are not history books. They have much more to do with the culture of the Jewish people than with anything else.
29-11-2016, 05:17 PM
(29-11-2016 05:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  A spiritual truth is also known as a tenet. A tenet is defined as a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy.
For me spiritual truth is just a woo term used to hide pretensions for having the real, non spiritual truth. Like: our book show us The Truth [science happen] well it was just alegory hiding the deeper, underlying truth.

I understand your not liking the word-but people use that word to describe their beliefs.
29-11-2016, 05:18 PM
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:06 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So in short this is book about (among other things) history. Not truth, history.

It's not my interpretation, it is what the article says. It's not a history book. Have you read the Torah or the Bible/OT? They are not history books. They have much more to do with the culture of the Jewish people than with anything else.

I don't accept the claim that Torah is truth. There isn't much more to say that I didn't already said.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-11-2016, 05:19 PM
(29-11-2016 05:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  For me spiritual truth is just a woo term used to hide pretensions for having the real, non spiritual truth. Like: our book show us The Truth [science happen] well it was just alegory hiding the deeper, underlying truth.

I understand your not liking the word-but people use that word to describe their beliefs.
It's their right to do so just as it is mine to not agree with such take.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-11-2016, 05:20 PM
(29-11-2016 05:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It's not my interpretation, it is what the article says. It's not a history book. Have you read the Torah or the Bible/OT? They are not history books. They have much more to do with the culture of the Jewish people than with anything else.

I don't accept the claim that Torah is truth. There isn't much more to say that I didn't already said.

No one (including the Jewish people) said you had to.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post