"God has a plan for you"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 10:26 PM
"God has a plan for you"
I have always been a very angry person. I yell when inconvenient things happen to me (how dare this happen to ME?) I scoff when I am disrespected (do you know who I AM?). I fume when others don't see things the way I see them (this is how I view things and so you are a moron for having a different opinion). And it's taken me a while to realize that this is largely due to how I was raised. I was raised Christian and was told over and over again that "God has a plan for me." I was convinced that I could personally speak to God to alter world events through prayer. And this whole "God made this world for me" attitude filled me with a pretentious self-importance that I'm just now recognizing. When I discarded God and religions, I kept the "I am the center of the universe" pretense, but didn't realize it. I failed to see how insignificant I was in this ball of chaotic madness that is life.

And who was my savior to lead me from the pompous pedestal of Christianity? The always humbling, often enlightening Marcus Aurelius.

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.

Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.

When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...

Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will, and selfishness – all of them due to the offenders’ ignorance of what is good or evil.

All this anger I live with exists only in the brain. I alone am capable of making myself happy or miserable, depending on how I choose to react to life's random events. I should stop choosing to be angry at everything and just enjoy life for the sake of life. I will honestly try and work on this from now on.

And finally...

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Buddy Christ's post
22-05-2012, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2012 11:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: "God has a plan for you"
I best read me some Marcus.
He's sittin on the shelf, but he's a little dusty. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Man. I was hopin this was like gonna tell me what gods plan for me was. Big let down.

Back to trying to figure it out for myself I guess. Lame.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2012, 12:02 AM
(22-05-2012 11:14 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Man. I was hopin this was like gonna tell me what gods plan for me was. Big let down.

I can help you with that. According to the Bible, God's plan for you is to grovel before him, praising him and asking his forgiveness. Then he plans for you to die, so that you can continue praising him for all eternity as he sits on his throne.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
23-05-2012, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2012 03:37 AM by ahoy.)
get outta my way... find that motherfucking truth yourself!
-a Buddhist master when got drunk : )
23-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.

This is something that became clear to me a long time ago, when I was in the dumps for some time. I don't think it was clinical depression, but I felt badly and without any energy or zest for life. One day I was standing in the kitchen thinking about how crappy everything was and it came to me that obviously I would be feeling badly if I spent my time standing there thinking bad thoughts.

So I stopped, I purposefully thought about other things whenever I caught myself thinking glum thoughts, and I would also go and do something positive.

This proved to be a cure for me, to this day I won't spend time on bad thoughts.

I never knew Aurelius said this, smart man.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-05-2012, 10:03 AM
(23-05-2012 12:02 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 11:14 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Man. I was hopin this was like gonna tell me what gods plan for me was. Big let down.

I can help you with that. According to the Bible, God's plan for you is to grovel before him, praising him and asking his forgiveness. Then he plans for you to die, so that you can continue praising him for all eternity as he sits on his throne.
Thank fuck, I thought I was going to die without ever knowing.
Also I'm glad that I don't have to become a doctor or something equally boring.
Big question though, do I have to wear pants whilst grovelling? I prefer to grovel sans pants.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2012, 10:42 AM
(23-05-2012 10:03 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Big question though, do I have to wear pants whilst grovelling? I prefer to grovel sans pants.
I think pants-less groveling would be required. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-06-2012, 04:55 AM
The only thing I use from the bible, that I to revise is....

"Do not hate them for they know not what they do"

I apply this to honest theists, who believe in god, but never questioned their own beliefs.

It seems to me that humans in general, love one another.

When absurd ideas poison their minds, they do things that are harmful to one another, with out realizing the impact.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-06-2012, 05:02 AM
God has a plan for me. And then the theists keep screwing it up with their prayers. Damn.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche