God hates figs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: God hates figs
(05-01-2015 01:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  Glad he isn't planning to visit me - I love the fig tree in my garden. If anyone came here and threw a tantrum and withered my fig, I'd have to sick my dogs on him.

Just keep an eye out for a smooth talking hippie wandering around in sandals who has a grudge against that evil tree.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 10:46 PM
In other news...

God Hates Shrimp!

[Image: generik.jpg]

[Image: daily_show_11-14-2006.jpg]

[Image: GHJ.png]

[Image: i-e4ea902e687278eb21166e896f9db068-cthul...dates.jpeg]

[Image: 5072911220_033636c353_z.jpg]

[Image: 200911301120.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Uh-oh! You have a Punstar.
07-01-2015, 09:13 PM
(04-01-2015 05:32 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I was just pondering that bit of the babble where our hero gets mad at a fig tree for being out of season and curses it never to bear fruit again. I think I'm remembering that right.

If he had the power to do that, why not have him make it bear fruit instantaneously? That would be a much more positive story and just as nicely unverifiable.

Was the idea to make him out to be tantrum prone?

To you I would say...

You just couldn't resist saying "God Hates Figs." Tongue
08-01-2015, 10:37 AM
(04-01-2015 05:32 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I was just pondering that bit of the babble where our hero gets mad at a fig tree for being out of season and curses it never to bear fruit again. I think I'm remembering that right.

If he had the power to do that, why not have him make it bear fruit instantaneously? That would be a much more positive story and just as nicely unverifiable.

The fig tree represents Israel. Israel had a quickly closing window to trust their Messiah before the cross and resurrection, just as the tree was cursed (the disciples, like those here, were also like "Why did He curse a TREE?") and then was withered by the following day.

The other lesson from the tree is this from Matthew 24: "32 Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."

When Israel, after Jesus's advent, is not only a Jewish nation but begins to move spiritually toward Jesus as Messiah, Jesus's return will be near.

I realize I gave "spiritual" answers to what looks like a joke thread but since you asked a Bible question, I wanted to answer from the scriptures.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
08-01-2015, 10:46 AM
(08-01-2015 10:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

The fig tree represents Israel. Israel had a quickly closing window to trust their Messiah before the cross and resurrection, just as the tree was cursed (the disciples, like those here, were also like "Why did He curse a TREE?") and then was withered by the following day.

The other lesson from the tree is this from Matthew 24: "32 Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."

When Israel, after Jesus's advent, is not only a Jewish nation but begins to move spiritually toward Jesus as Messiah, Jesus's return will be near.

I realize I gave "spiritual" answers to what looks like a joke thread but since you asked a Bible question, I wanted to answer from the scriptures.

One has to question the wisdom behind couching your teaching in metaphor when your followers were as slow on the uptake as Jesus' disciples appear to have been. After having to both explain and often repeat his teachings over and over again ad nausea, one has to wonder if obfuscating his point was the best tactic for retention and understating.

Or the whole story is allegorical and part of a narrative device to make a fictional Jesus look good and sell the point the author was trying to make.

I know which one seems more credible to me. Thumbsup

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-01-2015, 10:52 AM
I didn't respond because it was mainly joke... I've not heard that crazy semi-prophetic interpretation of Israel before.

I always thought it was simply about people having false exteriors... since Jesus rails against it all the time, like when he tells people not to pray in public.

I thought the unfruitful tree despite the leaves looking to the foolish him as time for the ripe season represented people proclaiming and appearing religious on the outside but deep down aren't actually truthful. I don't know if I came to this on my own or picked it up somewhere but I've thought it for years.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-01-2015, 10:59 AM
My reply to both of you is that what is credible to me is the Bible teaching that the gospels would contain parables and mysteries that would be understood by born again people with God's spirit. We evangelicals find the gospels consistent in the disciples being rather dense about spiritual truths prior to Pentecost. That's why Jesus says, "NOW learn the lesson from the fig tree..."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 07:57 PM
The slow disciples make sense, you see it all the time in TV shows there's a character who doesn't get it so that the plot has to be explained for the benefit of the audience who don't get it.

Withering the tree makes more sense if it's meant as an metaphor although I'm not sure about it representing the signs of his impending return. As a straight-forward demonstration of his super powers I still think making it fruitful would have been better.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
(07-01-2015 09:13 PM)Waif Wrote:  You just couldn't resist saying "God Hates Figs." Tongue

This also true. Smile

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks