God hates figs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 11:32 PM
RE: God hates figs
(09-01-2015 10:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My reply to both of you is that what is credible to me is the Bible teaching that the gospels would contain parables and mysteries that would be understood by born again people with God's spirit. We evangelicals find the gospels consistent in the disciples being rather dense about spiritual truths prior to Pentecost. That's why Jesus says, "NOW learn the lesson from the fig tree..."

Right. Because "I'm special and you're not" is a great heuristic for finding objective... anything... Facepalm

Isn't it great how physics and mathematics don't give a flying fuck if you think you are special or not? They just sort of work, and when asked, can provided proofs and evidence?

Why does the more I learn about religion, the more it seems like a bunch of avant-garde film critic assholes who think there is some special meaning that they (and only they) can suss out of Werner Herzog films or some other such nonsense.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-01-2015, 03:58 PM
(09-01-2015 11:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 10:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My reply to both of you is that what is credible to me is the Bible teaching that the gospels would contain parables and mysteries that would be understood by born again people with God's spirit. We evangelicals find the gospels consistent in the disciples being rather dense about spiritual truths prior to Pentecost. That's why Jesus says, "NOW learn the lesson from the fig tree..."

Right. Because "I'm special and you're not" is a great heuristic for finding objective... anything... Facepalm

Isn't it great how physics and mathematics don't give a flying fuck if you think you are special or not? They just sort of work, and when asked, can provided proofs and evidence?

Why does the more I learn about religion, the more it seems like a bunch of avant-garde film critic assholes who think there is some special meaning that they (and only they) can suss out of Werner Herzog films or some other such nonsense.

I think it's a stretch to make up stuff as you go as opposed to bothering to turn the page to read where Jesus said, "NOW LEARN THE LESSON FROM THE FIG TREE..." then actually reading and pondering said lesson! Remember, this thread, and many others at TTA, ask questions of the Bible that the Bible itself answers, and often in close proximity (a few verses down the page) from the questions themselves...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 04:19 PM
(12-01-2015 03:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 11:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Right. Because "I'm special and you're not" is a great heuristic for finding objective... anything... Facepalm

I think it's a stretch to make up stuff as you go as opposed to bothering to turn the page to read where Jesus said, "NOW LEARN THE LESSON FROM THE FIG TREE..." then actually reading and pondering said lesson! Remember, this thread, and many others at TTA, ask questions of the Bible that the Bible itself answers, and often in close proximity (a few verses down the page) from the questions themselves...

That element is not the issue... It actually reads that ANYONE should be able to learn the lesson of the fig tree if it was so eloquent by Jesus. Your indication is that real born again christians would be able to understand without conflict... another failure of your noticing to be making this special pleading for the special christians that "get it."

How is it you seem to consistently not get what aspects of your posts people are having the problems with?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-01-2015, 08:08 PM
(04-01-2015 05:35 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Low blood sugar.

He then went into the marketplace and flipped a bunch of tables, and ppl were all "jesus Christ, here eat something." And he was all "FUCK YO TABLES!"

Finally, someone said, "Here Jesus, have a fig, you are not yourself when you are hungry."
[+] 5 users Like Barbara Blackcinder's post
12-01-2015, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 08:12 PM by Barbara Blackcinder.)
nevermind
13-01-2015, 10:57 AM
(12-01-2015 04:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 03:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think it's a stretch to make up stuff as you go as opposed to bothering to turn the page to read where Jesus said, "NOW LEARN THE LESSON FROM THE FIG TREE..." then actually reading and pondering said lesson! Remember, this thread, and many others at TTA, ask questions of the Bible that the Bible itself answers, and often in close proximity (a few verses down the page) from the questions themselves...

That element is not the issue... It actually reads that ANYONE should be able to learn the lesson of the fig tree if it was so eloquent by Jesus. Your indication is that real born again christians would be able to understand without conflict... another failure of your noticing to be making this special pleading for the special christians that "get it."

How is it you seem to consistently not get what aspects of your posts people are having the problems with?

I get what you're saying. I reiterate - there are over a billion professing Christians of every stripe. A significant plurality of this group are born again - hundreds of millions in my estimation - and understand a lot of the Bible without conflict. The Bible itself, however, says it is meaty stuff even for born agains... "Show yourself acceptable, someone who rightly divides the Word... He who continues in my Word as my disciple will be free, and if the Son set you free you will be free indeed... some twist some of Paul's writings, which are hard to decipher, and so destroy themselves..."

It sounds like you have an issue with the fact that of a large crowd, a large number within totaling millions has a lot of the truth... Jesus Himself spoke of wide and narrow paths to truth and life...

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
13-01-2015, 03:35 PM
(12-01-2015 08:08 PM)Barbara Blackcinder Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 05:35 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Low blood sugar.

He then went into the marketplace and flipped a bunch of tables, and ppl were all "jesus Christ, here eat something." And he was all "FUCK YO TABLES!"

Finally, someone said, "Here Jesus, have a fig, you are not yourself when you are hungry."

The Snickers commercial! I like it. Very cute. And I appreciate a little gentle humor like this so much more than people ripping on god and god's people... I'm giving you some props for this one.

13-01-2015, 10:23 PM
(13-01-2015 10:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 04:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That element is not the issue... It actually reads that ANYONE should be able to learn the lesson of the fig tree if it was so eloquent by Jesus. Your indication is that real born again christians would be able to understand without conflict... another failure of your noticing to be making this special pleading for the special christians that "get it."

I get what you're saying. I reiterate - there are over a billion professing Christians of every stripe. A significant plurality of this group are born again - hundreds of millions in my estimation - and understand a lot of the Bible without conflict. The Bible itself, however, says it is meaty stuff even for born agains... "Show yourself acceptable, someone who rightly divides the Word... He who continues in my Word as my disciple will be free, and if the Son set you free you will be free indeed... some twist some of Paul's writings, which are hard to decipher, and so destroy themselves..."

It sounds like you have an issue with the fact that of a large crowd, a large number within totaling millions has a lot of the truth... Jesus Himself spoke of wide and narrow paths to truth and life...

Thanks.

Do you want to know what would have made Jesus a far better communicator of his own words?

1 - Being an author.
2 - Inventing the printing press.

That he apparently didn't do either is quite telling. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-01-2015, 11:05 AM
(13-01-2015 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 10:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I get what you're saying. I reiterate - there are over a billion professing Christians of every stripe. A significant plurality of this group are born again - hundreds of millions in my estimation - and understand a lot of the Bible without conflict. The Bible itself, however, says it is meaty stuff even for born agains... "Show yourself acceptable, someone who rightly divides the Word... He who continues in my Word as my disciple will be free, and if the Son set you free you will be free indeed... some twist some of Paul's writings, which are hard to decipher, and so destroy themselves..."

Thanks.

Do you want to know what would have made Jesus a far better communicator of his own words?

1 - Being an author.
2 - Inventing the printing press.

That he apparently didn't do either is quite telling. Drinking Beverage

"Au contraire, mon frère!"

1 and 2 and the popularity of Jesus are together to be taken as astonishing:

He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty when public opinion turned against him

He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself

He was only thirty three

His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend

Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life

14-01-2015, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 06:08 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
"Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race "

You do realize that even if I give you 2 billion people who follow Jesus in some way (which is VERY generous), that over 2/3 of the planet do not? That is not the hallmark of a central figure. Also keep in mind that most of the laws and concepts that the bible contains were thought of by other people long before.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post