God hates figs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 02:59 PM
RE: God hates figs
(14-01-2015 05:54 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race "

You do realize that even if I give you 2 billion people who follow Jesus in some way (which is VERY generous), that over 2/3 of the planet do not? That is not the hallmark of a central figure. Also keep in mind that most of the laws and concepts that the bible contains were thought of by other people long before.

Who in history was a mainstay of 3/3rds of the human race? We call that person(s) in the Bible the coming Christ and the coming Antichrist! Even when Romans ruled the world it was their known world and the Chinese emperors were enlarging the borders of their empires then...

Anything else from my post? The main point wasn't to boast that Jesus won a popularity contest (far from it, even most Americans really don't follow His teachings) but to point out that 2,000 years after this non-traveling non-author SPOKE, He has a good following.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 03:27 PM
(15-01-2015 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 05:54 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race "

You do realize that even if I give you 2 billion people who follow Jesus in some way (which is VERY generous), that over 2/3 of the planet do not? That is not the hallmark of a central figure. Also keep in mind that most of the laws and concepts that the bible contains were thought of by other people long before.

Who in history was a mainstay of 3/3rds of the human race? We call that person(s) in the Bible the coming Christ and the coming Antichrist! Even when Romans ruled the world it was their known world and the Chinese emperors were enlarging the borders of their empires then...

Anything else from my post? The main point wasn't to boast that Jesus won a popularity contest (far from it, even most Americans really don't follow His teachings) but to point out that 2,000 years after this non-traveling non-author SPOKE, He has a good following.

If, as you say, most self-identified Christians don't follow his teachings, then he has a tiny following.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-01-2015, 03:32 PM
So the Beatles were the anti-christ?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I love me some Fig Newtons.
15-01-2015, 05:58 PM
(08-01-2015 10:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 05:32 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I was just pondering that bit of the babble where our hero gets mad at a fig tree for being out of season and curses it never to bear fruit again. I think I'm remembering that right.

If he had the power to do that, why not have him make it bear fruit instantaneously? That would be a much more positive story and just as nicely unverifiable.

Was the idea to make him out to be tantrum prone?

The fig tree represents Israel. Israel had a quickly closing window to trust their Messiah before the cross and resurrection, just as the tree was cursed (the disciples, like those here, were also like "Why did He curse a TREE?") and then was withered by the following day.

The other lesson from the tree is this from Matthew 24: "32 Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."

When Israel, after Jesus's advent, is not only a Jewish nation but begins to move spiritually toward Jesus as Messiah, Jesus's return will be near.

I realize I gave "spiritual" answers to what looks like a joke thread but since you asked a Bible question, I wanted to answer from the scriptures.

"1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post" ???????

Did someone drop their laptop?
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-01-2015, 12:17 AM
(14-01-2015 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Do you want to know what would have made Jesus a far better communicator of his own words?

1 - Being an author.
2 - Inventing the printing press.

That he apparently didn't do either is quite telling. Drinking Beverage

"Au contraire, mon frère!"

1 and 2 and the popularity of Jesus are together to be taken as astonishing:

He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty when public opinion turned against him

He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself

He was only thirty three

His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend

Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life

For the love of fucking shit, as far as ANYBODY knows (and can show), that's all just as 'factual' as Santa Claus living at the North Pole you stupid, incredulous cunt... Facepalm'

The penultimate creator of reality made a savior who's very existence is just as plausible as every other man made myth! I'm not impressed. It's a very silly god who creates reason and demands faith, and it's a very evil one who does so under the unverifiable threat of eternal torture.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2015, 03:34 PM
(15-01-2015 03:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Who in history was a mainstay of 3/3rds of the human race? We call that person(s) in the Bible the coming Christ and the coming Antichrist! Even when Romans ruled the world it was their known world and the Chinese emperors were enlarging the borders of their empires then...

If, as you say, most self-identified Christians don't follow his teachings, then he has a tiny following.

And that's why it is distressing to hear your frequent cry of No True Scotsman. Clearly you don't understand my definitions or terms:

As I've pointed out on a number of threads, I think there are hundreds of millions of true Christians worldwide. And I think if everyone's candle was snuffed, perhaps several billion people would be saved. I also think there are more in Heaven then in Hell right now.

My God is a loving and merciful God.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
16-01-2015, 03:36 PM
(16-01-2015 12:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "Au contraire, mon frère!"

1 and 2 and the popularity of Jesus are together to be taken as astonishing:

He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty when public opinion turned against him

He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself

He was only thirty three

His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend

Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life

For the love of fucking shit, as far as ANYBODY knows (and can show), that's all just as 'factual' as Santa Claus living at the North Pole you stupid, incredulous cunt... Facepalm'

The penultimate creator of reality made a savior who's very existence is just as plausible as every other man made myth! I'm not impressed. It's a very silly god who creates reason and demands faith, and it's a very evil one who does so under the unverifiable threat of eternal torture.

Perhaps, then, you will do an exercise for me. I have my opinions but want to hear yours. Read what you wrote, please, and then explain Jesus's popularity. If Jesus was a contemporary of the Roman pantheon, and their stories are all much the same or equally plausible or implausible... PS. Don't waste my time or yours saying "Constantine made everyone BELIEVE in Jesus" or something equally weird.

Because some at TTA are fond of saying there are many thousands of gods, religions and religious sects. So in your opinion, not mine, how did Jesus make the top three or top five or whatever the ranking?

16-01-2015, 03:52 PM
(16-01-2015 03:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My God is a loving and merciful God.

...that created hell and sends people there on a regular basis for the only reason that they did not love him enough.

Do you nut-jobs know what merciful means? Look up what it means to have mercy and to have love for someone. One of the greatest wonders to my hears is hearing the faithful utter these words and not flinch at the obvious nonsense. That and the "have an open mind" drivel.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
16-01-2015, 04:18 PM
(16-01-2015 03:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 12:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  For the love of fucking shit, as far as ANYBODY knows (and can show), that's all just as 'factual' as Santa Claus living at the North Pole you stupid, incredulous cunt... Facepalm'

Perhaps, then, you will do an exercise for me. I have my opinions but want to hear yours. Read what you wrote, please, and then explain Jesus's popularity. If Jesus was a contemporary of the Roman pantheon, and their stories are all much the same or equally plausible or implausible... PS. Don't waste my time or yours saying "Constantine made everyone BELIEVE in Jesus" or something equally weird.

Because some at TTA are fond of saying there are many thousands of gods, religions and religious sects. So in your opinion, not mine, how did Jesus make the top three or top five or whatever the ranking?

Define why historically significant situations are "weird?" It's true Rome through Constantine was shifted to start embracing Christianity and they began to see the power in it. It's simply easier to preach to worship 1 set god opposed to factored pantheons since areas at times idolize some over others in that case. Also a singular deity that they can tell people he preaches(since most couldn't read it was all what they're told) forgiveness and kindness and it sounds kindly... but over time that Rome took that in, their vast influence spread by sometimes good modes like trade and sometimes force via conquest.

And the same pretty much applies for Mohammed but a bit different in the exact details. He also just was apart of people taking some religious control of an area and spreading first through trade and then war over centuries. This also applies via Lao Tzu or the Bhudda as they were men with followers that wrote down their sayings and spread across the lands over centuries via expansive culture and government force.

It's mainly the same and Jesus's impact isn't more significant than Mohammads/Buddhas. The major reason you find Jesus to be more impacting is where you happened to grow up. Jesus spread further because Rome took over Europe specifically.. and it would of been mainly just there but those pesky Europeans happened to colonize globally and brought the spread of Christianity to a bunch of areas in Africa and all up and down the Americas. There is nothing more profound about Jesus than his alternatives.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post