God hates figs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: God hates figs
(15-01-2015 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 05:54 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race "

You do realize that even if I give you 2 billion people who follow Jesus in some way (which is VERY generous), that over 2/3 of the planet do not? That is not the hallmark of a central figure. Also keep in mind that most of the laws and concepts that the bible contains were thought of by other people long before.

Who in history was a mainstay of 3/3rds of the human race? We call that person(s) in the Bible the coming Christ and the coming Antichrist! Even when Romans ruled the world it was their known world and the Chinese emperors were enlarging the borders of their empires then...

Anything else from my post? The main point wasn't to boast that Jesus won a popularity contest (far from it, even most Americans really don't follow His teachings) but to point out that 2,000 years after this non-traveling non-author SPOKE, He has a good following.
Allegedly spoke dip shit.

Also so what? 2500 years later the writings of Sun Tzu are still studied and adopted by nearly every single military power in the world. The fact that 2000 years later a collection of people are still gullible enough to believe a clearly exaggerated if not out and out fabricated story are not a mark in the positive column for anyone.

The Egyptian gods lasted for over 3000 years and were, like yours, clearly fictional. They only really truly eroded for good due to the oppressive and intolerant barbarism of Christianity at the time.

You're religion is not special princess.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
16-01-2015, 05:47 PM
(16-01-2015 03:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 03:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  If, as you say, most self-identified Christians don't follow his teachings, then he has a tiny following.

And that's why it is distressing to hear your frequent cry of No True Scotsman. Clearly you don't understand my definitions or terms:

I understand your definitions perfectly fine - you still do not understand what the fallacy you commit is.

Quote:As I've pointed out on a number of threads, I think there are hundreds of millions of true Christians worldwide. And I think if everyone's candle was snuffed, perhaps several billion people would be saved. I also think there are more in Heaven then in Hell right now.

My God is a loving and merciful God.

Then your god is not the one described in the Bible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2015, 06:09 PM
(16-01-2015 03:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 12:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  For the love of fucking shit, as far as ANYBODY knows (and can show), that's all just as 'factual' as Santa Claus living at the North Pole you stupid, incredulous cunt... Facepalm'

The penultimate creator of reality made a savior who's very existence is just as plausible as every other man made myth! I'm not impressed. It's a very silly god who creates reason and demands faith, and it's a very evil one who does so under the unverifiable threat of eternal torture.

Perhaps, then, you will do an exercise for me. I have my opinions but want to hear yours. Read what you wrote, please, and then explain Jesus's popularity. If Jesus was a contemporary of the Roman pantheon, and their stories are all much the same or equally plausible or implausible... PS. Don't waste my time or yours saying "Constantine made everyone BELIEVE in Jesus" or something equally weird.

Because some at TTA are fond of saying there are many thousands of gods, religions and religious sects. So in your opinion, not mine, how did Jesus make the top three or top five or whatever the ranking?

Macdonalds sell the most hamburgers.

Yet their product is shit.

Christianity is big business, just like Macdonalds. Big power, big money, big advertising.

It sells fodder for the stupid, the gullible and the brainwashed.

You think you're special, yet you're just another consumer.

You dream about about your big reward, heaven, something your church never has to deliver, and surrender your brain, time and your dollars to that same church. Along the way you fail to enjoy the only heaven you will ever have... the one on earth right here, right now.

Christianity, just like McDonald's, is toxic shit.
[+] 7 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-01-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 06:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-01-2015 03:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Who in history was a mainstay of 3/3rds of the human race? We call that person(s) in the Bible the coming Christ and the coming Antichrist! Even when Romans ruled the world it was their known world and the Chinese emperors were enlarging the borders of their empires then...

Anything else from my post? The main point wasn't to boast that Jesus won a popularity contest (far from it, even most Americans really don't follow His teachings) but to point out that 2,000 years after this non-traveling non-author SPOKE, He has a good following.

If, as you say, most self-identified Christians don't follow his teachings, then he has a tiny following.

HEY HEY, OVER HERE, OVER HERE! Big Grin

[Image: bear.gif]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-01-2015, 06:20 PM
(15-01-2015 05:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post" ???????

Did someone drop their laptop?

Just appreciating someone having a go at the question. Thumbsup

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
16-01-2015, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 01:10 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(16-01-2015 03:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 12:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  For the love of fucking shit, as far as ANYBODY knows (and can show), that's all just as 'factual' as Santa Claus living at the North Pole you stupid, incredulous cunt... Facepalm'

The penultimate creator of reality made a savior who's very existence is just as plausible as every other man made myth! I'm not impressed. It's a very silly god who creates reason and demands faith, and it's a very evil one who does so under the unverifiable threat of eternal torture.

Perhaps, then, you will do an exercise for me. I have my opinions but want to hear yours. Read what you wrote, please, and then explain Jesus's popularity. If Jesus was a contemporary of the Roman pantheon, and their stories are all much the same or equally plausible or implausible... PS. Don't waste my time or yours saying "Constantine made everyone BELIEVE in Jesus" or something equally weird.

Because some at TTA are fond of saying there are many thousands of gods, religions and religious sects. So in your opinion, not mine, how did Jesus make the top three or top five or whatever the ranking?

The success of the Christian faith didn't pick up until centuries after Jesus' supposed life and death, and required nothing more than a belief that it happened; it didn't actually have to happen to explain either the origin or the success of the faith. Look at all of the world's other religions, all of which you would consider false religions. Just like Christianity, none of them require any miracles to explain their success. It also demonstrates that religions based entirely upon fiction and false pretenses can become very successful, which is a point in favor of the mundane and fictitious origins of Christianity rather than divine intervention.

If merely making it into the 'top three' is enough for you, then it's tacit admission that there are at least two other false religions that can successfully complete with the your one true religion of the one true god; and yet he cannot be bothered to make it abundantly clear to everyone on the planet which one is the correct one, even with the fate of our eternal souls hanging in the balance.

And you actually believe that? You don't know shit about evaluating evidence and probability. So now is the point when you rely on the holy spirit or some other entirely personal, subjective, and wholly unverifiable claim to knowledge bullshit. So let me stop you with a preemptive fuck you before you go there. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2015, 12:17 AM
(16-01-2015 06:20 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 05:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post" ???????

Did someone drop their laptop?

Just appreciating someone having a go at the question. Thumbsup

You are forgiven
17-01-2015, 12:22 AM
(16-01-2015 10:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 03:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Perhaps, then, you will do an exercise for me. I have my opinions but want to hear yours. Read what you wrote, please, and then explain Jesus's popularity. If Jesus was a contemporary of the Roman pantheon, and their stories are all much the same or equally plausible or implausible... PS. Don't waste my time or yours saying "Constantine made everyone BELIEVE in Jesus" or something equally weird.

The success of the Christian faith didn't pick up until centuries after Jesus' supposed life and death, and required nothing more than a belief that it happened; it didn't actually have to happen to explain either the origin or the success of the faith. Look at all of the world's other religions, all of which you would consider false religions. Just like Christianity, none of them require any miracles to explain their success. It also demonstrates that religions based entirely upon fiction and false pretenses can become very successful, which is a point in favor of the mundane and fictitious origins of Christianity rather than divine intervention.

If merely making it into the 'top three' is enough for you, then it's tacit admission that there are at least two other false religions that can successfully complete with the your one true religion of the one true god; and yet he cannot be bothered to make it abundantly clear to everyone on the planet which one is the correct one, even with the fate of our eternal souls hanging in the balance.

And you actually believe that? You don't know shit about evaluating evidence and probability. So now is the point when rely on the holy spirit or some other entirely personal, subject, and wholly unverifiable claim to knowledge bullshit. So let me stop you with a preemptive fuck you before you go there. Drinking Beverage

Bravo!

It is very obvious you, good sir, actually know something about the history of the origins of Christianity, whereas the Q continuum character knows only what he's been told in church.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
17-01-2015, 01:01 AM
(17-01-2015 12:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 10:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The success of the Christian faith didn't pick up until centuries after Jesus' supposed life and death, and required nothing more than a belief that it happened; it didn't actually have to happen to explain either the origin or the success of the faith. Look at all of the world's other religions, all of which you would consider false religions. Just like Christianity, none of them require any miracles to explain their success. It also demonstrates that religions based entirely upon fiction and false pretenses can become very successful, which is a point in favor of the mundane and fictitious origins of Christianity rather than divine intervention.

And you actually believe that? You don't know shit about evaluating evidence and probability. So now is the point when rely on the holy spirit or some other entirely personal, subject, and wholly unverifiable claim to knowledge bullshit. So let me stop you with a preemptive fuck you before you go there. Drinking Beverage

Bravo!

It is very obvious you, good sir, actually know something about the history of the origins of Christianity, whereas the Q continuum character knows only what he's been told in church.

You simply cannot argue that "Christianity is true because it's successful" without also finding yourself arguing that every other successful religion is true, and to do otherwise is special pleading. But "Miracles!" they'll cry. "So What?" I'll ask.

"Christianity is successful because of miracles and is therefore true." Well, what about Hinduism and Islam? Either they too are also backed by legitimate miracles, or miracles simply are not required for have a successful religion. Also anybody who argues they have the one and only true faith needs to show how it's any more probable that their faith is not false, given that even assuming their claims are true, then all other religions throughout history are all false. That's a huge body of evidence in favors of 'this is all man made bullshit', so what makes your bullshit the exception?

I've yet to see a given reason that didn't rely on special pleading. All of Q's reasons have fallen on special pleading. Hell, he still doesn't even understand how he's committing the No True Scotsman fallacy, so I have little hope he'll understand statistical probability or the evaluation of evidence any time soon. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2015, 04:55 PM
(04-01-2015 05:32 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I was just pondering that bit of the babble where our hero gets mad at a fig tree for being out of season and curses it never to bear fruit again. I think I'm remembering that right.

If he had the power to do that, why not have him make it bear fruit instantaneously? That would be a much more positive story and just as nicely unverifiable.

Was the idea to make him out to be tantrum prone?
It's bad enough to arrive to spread your message 2000 years before mass communication but He was also constipated and figs were out of season.

Sapere aude