God hates figs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: God hates figs
All,

Such anger is not befitting of you, since I was merely responding to questions put to me regarding the popularity of Christian beliefs. I'm not interested in creating either a popularity argument or fallacy at TTA.

I already realize that rather than arguing why Christianity is popular, I could more easily describe the near-universality of theism (all cultures, all times, most people) and still not "win".

Just remember that an argument being fed here is one I hear from Christians often, "Man, those atheists seem pissed off all the time." If you're sure of your position, then gently correcting me or people like me should be all that is required. I'm not a troll, I'm here to do two things, teach and learn. Period. Could we count proselytize as my third reason? Sure, but I'm not expecting to come here to add many adherents to the faith!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2015, 04:20 PM
(20-01-2015 11:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Such anger is not befitting of you, since I was merely responding to questions put to me regarding the popularity of Christian beliefs. I'm not interested in creating either a popularity argument or fallacy at TTA.

Any anger expressed is most likely at your unrelenting (and unwarranted) condescension and your persistent twisting of argument.

Quote:I already realize that rather than arguing why Christianity is popular, I could more easily describe the near-universality of theism (all cultures, all times, most people) and still not "win".

Argumentum Ad Populum? Until 1859, belief in a creator had some intellectual respectability. Not so much now.

Quote:Just remember that an argument being fed here is one I hear from Christians often, "Man, those atheists seem pissed off all the time." If you're sure of your position, then gently correcting me or people like me should be all that is required.

That has no history of success. People like you persist in your annoying delusions.

Quote: I'm not a troll, I'm here to do two things, teach and learn.

You appear to have accomplished neither.

Quote:Period. Could we count proselytize as my third reason? Sure, but I'm not expecting to come here to add many adherents to the faith!

I would be gobsmacked if you added even one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-01-2015, 11:05 PM

I already realize that rather than arguing why Christianity is popular, I could more easily describe the near-universality of theism (all cultures, all times, most people) and still not "win".

Just remember that an argument being fed here is one I hear from Christians often, "Man, those atheists seem pissed off all the time." If you're sure of your position, then gently correcting me or people like me should be all that is required. I'm not a troll, I'm here to do two things, teach and learn. Period. Could we count proselytize as my third reason? Sure, but I'm not expecting to come here to add many adherents to the faith!

"I'm here to do two things, teach and learn."

I like giving opinions. Ask me a question.
22-01-2015, 03:34 PM
(20-01-2015 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Any anger expressed is most likely at your unrelenting (and unwarranted) condescension and your persistent twisting of argument.

Quote:I already realize that rather than arguing why Christianity is popular, I could more easily describe the near-universality of theism (all cultures, all times, most people) and still not "win".

Argumentum Ad Populum? Until 1859, belief in a creator had some intellectual respectability. Not so much now.

Quote:Just remember that an argument being fed here is one I hear from Christians often, "Man, those atheists seem pissed off all the time." If you're sure of your position, then gently correcting me or people like me should be all that is required.

That has no history of success. People like you persist in your annoying delusions.

Quote: I'm not a troll, I'm here to do two things, teach and learn.

You appear to have accomplished neither.

Quote:Period. Could we count proselytize as my third reason? Sure, but I'm not expecting to come here to add many adherents to the faith!

I would be gobsmacked if you added even one.

Please read my posts with care before commenting. It says multiple times in the post I'm NOT making an ad populum argument.

And get ready to feel gobsmacked. I'm here because it's fun to be here.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.