God helps an atheist, but shuns one of his children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 09:10 PM
God helps an atheist, but shuns one of his children
I graduated from law school in May and took the Florida Bar on July 24-25, 2012. I graduated from a Catholic law school, and two of my friends who are hard core Catholics came to me while we were studying for the Bar to tell me that they found a prayer...and they were told that all who recite this prayer pass the Bar. They tried to persuade me to recite the prayer with them, and worried for me when politely shunned their offer to ask their Iron Age God for help.

Today we received the results for the Florida Bar, and I passed. One of my two friends passed, but the other one failed. I talked to him today and all he could say was that God must have had a special plan for him, because otherwise he would have passed. He also insisted that God clearly sent me a message by letting me pass, and that this message was that I should repent and accept God into my heart, because if it wasn't for him I would have failed the Bar.

Sadly, this made me realize the extent to which Christians excuse their God when he doesn't answer their prayers. When they get what they prayed for, God is clearly great. When God fails them, it was all part of God's greater plan. God can't do any wrong in their eyes. How can anyone reason with that kind of logic?Huh

As for what plan the jealous and murderous Iron Age God Jehovah may have with me, I do not know. Maybe when the pain of having failed the Bar passes, I should ask my friend for details as to what that plan may be. Is Jehovah rewarding me for turning three of my friends into agnostics or atheists over the past 2 years? Is he rewarding me for that time when I debated with the school chaplain and made him look like a fool by refuting his doctrine with science? Or perhaps Jehovah is rewarding me for attending atheist gatherings here in Florida. Whatever the reason may be, thank you Jehovah for letting me pass while ignoring the prayers of your children all around the world, and for letting them starve to death or suffer horrible illnesses while you were too busy helping me pass the Florida Bar. With a God like you, who needs religion?

Here is the prayer in question:

Dear God,
Please grant me the serenity to accept the things I do not know;
Wisdom to answer the questions to the best I can; and
Courage to execute and be disciplined through the conclusion.
Marching one section at a time;
Enjoying one second at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to success on the Bar;
Taking, as He did, this sinful bar exam as it is, not as I would have it; --> So the Florida Bar us sinful? I wonder what passage in the Bible this comes from.
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in my choice of this professional career and supremely happy with Him.
Forever in the next.

I wish for a chance to use my knowledge, power, and talent to serve others.
I pledge that I have done my best and I leave no regret behind.
--> Sounds like bargaining with Jehovah to let one pass the Bar in exchange for promising to be good.
Please bless me and all those who deserve to pass the bar. --> So my Christian friend was not worthy of passing the Bar? Maybe Jehovah was asleep or helping Tebow win a football game when my friend said the prayer. God can't multitask.
Amen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 12:41 AM
RE: God helps an atheist, but shuns one of his children
Hehe...yep, that's about right. There's always an excuse.

Congrats on passing Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
19-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Tell your friend god has a plan, and he needs to stop screwing it up with his prayers. Tongue
Congrats on the bar !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Prayer is 100% effective. If it's answered then god obviously wanted it. If he didn't he's just being "mysterious"....

That logic drives me nuts.

"Well he just has a plan for me that's all." uh huh... a plan you say...
19-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Wow. lol
Congratulations on passing the Bar!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2012, 11:32 AM
(18-09-2012 09:10 PM)Ozzie Wrote:  they were told that all who recite this prayer pass the Bar.

They obviously didn't know what Jesus said about prayer.

Quote:And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
(Matthew 6:7 ESV)

They weren't praying in the way Jesus commanded to it isn't surprising that their prayers didn't do them any good.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2012, 11:44 AM
(19-09-2012 11:32 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 09:10 PM)Ozzie Wrote:  they were told that all who recite this prayer pass the Bar.

They obviously didn't know what Jesus said about prayer.

Quote:And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
(Matthew 6:7 ESV)

They weren't praying in the way Jesus commanded to it isn't surprising that their prayers didn't do them any good.

But one of them did pass the bar

[Image: sigvacachica.png]