God hidden in plain sight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 12:03 PM
RE: God hidden in plain sight
(20-03-2017 10:55 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  Unless, as I've had carefully explained to me, he doesn't want us to *know*, he wants our faith--belief without, or in contradiction of, evidence. That's why he buried fake dinosaur fossils in the ground, and projects a movie of galaxies millions of light years away, and...well, everything else. Apparently he's a con man.

At a point, it's truly amazing people don't realize they're rationalizing.

Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2017, 04:10 PM
When I use my own power to pick up something, doesn't that negate the concept of an all powerful god ?

If a god had all the power, then I wouldn't be able to exist, nor lift anything.

My own existence proves an all powerful god cannot exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-03-2017, 04:17 PM
(20-03-2017 10:59 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 10:55 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  Unless, as I've had carefully explained to me, he doesn't want us to *know*, he wants our faith--belief without, or in contradiction of, evidence. That's why he buried fake dinosaur fossils in the ground, and projects a movie of galaxies millions of light years away, and...well, everything else. Apparently he's a con man.
Gods list of creation:

1. Create life, the universe and everything
2. cover it up, because I don't want people to know it was me
3. ?????
4. Total worship from your creations regardless, because that makes total sense.

5. Prophet

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-03-2017, 04:20 PM
(20-03-2017 04:10 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  My own existence proves an all powerful god cannot exist.

Yes, unless you go for the pantheistic God concept, which means your power (existence, consciousness, etc.) are just a part of God's.

However, then you have to find some rationalization of why you (and we) remain unaware of the connection. The idea quickly becomes too complicated to defend.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
20-03-2017, 04:44 PM
(19-03-2017 11:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 11:14 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I didn't see it at first either. Somebody's pareidolia has gone full-frontal Freudian though.

I know you can see it too. Dodgy

[Image: Cloud%20images_zpsrbphgpzt.jpg]

I never said I couldn't. I just didn't see it until you pointed it out. Unsurprisingly, we appear to have different interpretations. Congratulations, you've started a holy war.

[Image: AllMighty%20Member_zpsw3isovgy.jpeg]

Given the clouds in question I have to say that this is a far more persuasive argument for Zeus or Thor than any of the Abrahamic deities.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
20-03-2017, 05:09 PM
(20-03-2017 04:10 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When I use my own power to pick up something, doesn't that negate the concept of an all powerful god ?

If a god had all the power, then I wouldn't be able to exist, nor lift anything.

My own existence proves an all powerful god cannot exist.
There are many good arguments against the standard tri-omni deity, but I don't believe this is one of them.

Omnipotence has not been presented as "possessing all power" like some sort of celestial hoarder, but rather being "capable of doing anything without limitations or dependence on other entities". It also suggests "more powerful than any other entity".

Energy is needed to do work so having full control of all energy does not preclude allocating some of it to the machinery of existence and the beings who occupy it. All that's needed to maintain the claim of omnipotence is that those created beings / things exist at the pleasure of the omnipotent deity.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-03-2017, 05:42 PM
(20-03-2017 04:44 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 11:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I know you can see it too. Dodgy

[Image: Cloud%20images_zpsrbphgpzt.jpg]

I never said I couldn't. I just didn't see it until you pointed it out. Unsurprisingly, we appear to have different interpretations. Congratulations, you've started a holy war.

[Image: AllMighty%20Member_zpsw3isovgy.jpeg]

Given the clouds in question I have to say that this is a far more persuasive argument for Zeus or Thor than any of the Abrahamic deities.

Jews don't believe that G-d has any parts at all.

... But Thor sure does! Drooling
20-03-2017, 06:32 PM
God hidden in plain sight
(19-03-2017 07:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Walking the dog today, I had an interesting thought: supposing that God really exists and is all around us. The problem is that our little human brains cannot perceive or comprehend His existence, kind of like trying to teach physics to a dog.

If that's the case then we don't have to worry about it. My dog doesn't worry about me watching physics YouTube videos. I won't worry about God thinking about magical shit.

Speaking of physics, this channel is the shiznit.

Try this video out.
https://youtu.be/ev9zrt__lec
21-03-2017, 12:41 AM
It's very hard to make an argument for a "God" that makes any actual difference.

That's the thing: I don't care. Many theists I've talked to seem utterly unable to grasp this. They could pull their God out their pocket and stick it in my face, and I'd shrug my shoulders. Sure, I'd try and talk to it. I'd be curious. But the idea that I'd just start worshipping it or taking orders is laughable. If it has something sensible to say, it's welcome to say it, anytime.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
21-03-2017, 01:00 AM
(21-03-2017 12:41 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's very hard to make an argument for a "God" that makes any actual difference.

That's the thing: I don't care. Many theists I've talked to seem utterly unable to grasp this. They could pull their God out their pocket and stick it in my face, and I'd shrug my shoulders. Sure, I'd try and talk to it. I'd be curious. But the idea that I'd just start worshipping it or taking orders is laughable. If it has something sensible to say, it's welcome to say it, anytime.

Agreed.

If said god made a believable threat of eternal torture for not making a passable show of worshiping it, I might have a stop and think about it.

Requiring genuine worship would be a deal-breaker, of course, since I couldn't actually love something so awful that it would do the worship-or-eternal-torture thing. But it might be able to extort reluctant bowing out of me with a nasty enough threat. Maybe.

... probably not.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post