God hidden in plain sight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 01:18 AM
RE: God hidden in plain sight
Sure, it could threaten me. But I've no guarantee that it's going to keep its word. Something that shows up and starts issuing threats of damnation isn't exactly earning my trust. So I'd just tell it to fuck off. It's not like I can stop it doing whatever it wants anyway so I might as well stick to my guns.

Of course it could just mind-control me and make it worship it, if that's all it wants.

This is a pretty pathetic, small minded "God" we'd be talking about, which is why I have such a hard time taking any of the religious versions seriously. Anything that actually showed up would be nothing like any of them, in all probability.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2017, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017 03:05 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(21-03-2017 12:41 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's very hard to make an argument for a "God" that makes any actual difference.

That's the thing: I don't care. Many theists I've talked to seem utterly unable to grasp this. They could pull their God out their pocket and stick it in my face, and I'd shrug my shoulders. Sure, I'd try and talk to it. I'd be curious. But the idea that I'd just start worshipping it or taking orders is laughable. If it has something sensible to say, it's welcome to say it, anytime.

I like the idea of a pocket-God -- very convenient. Hobo

One point theists miss or articulate poorly: The have not only to demonstrate that their God exists, but that it is worthy of worship. Typically it isn't.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
21-03-2017, 03:56 AM
If God(s) does/do exist, good stuff. But why does that mean I have to drop to my knee's for an almighty being to hear me praise them? Sounds almighty insecure if you ask me.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
21-03-2017, 04:43 AM
Yeah... it sounds like someone who has to have a parent figure in charge. Fighting your way out of religion seems to me like a second "growing up". It's hard for me to know what that's like, having never been under the spell.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
21-03-2017, 05:36 AM
If something desires or demands worship, then it's not worthy of worship.

God is not Justin Beiber, and we are not a bunch of pre-teen girls. Laughat

There's an idea, if this god wants worship, just become a famous rock star, why create all of the goofy religious crap around the desire to be worshiped?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-03-2017, 05:59 AM
(19-03-2017 07:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Walking the dog today, I had an interesting thought: supposing that God really exists and is all around us. The problem is that our little human brains cannot perceive or comprehend His existence, kind of like trying to teach physics to a dog.
Welcome to theism, brother. Heart
21-03-2017, 06:03 AM
theBorg:

[The contents of this message are hidden because theBorg is on your ignore list.] Laughat
21-03-2017, 06:15 AM
(21-03-2017 05:36 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  If something desires or demands worship, then it's not worthy of worship.

> Interestingly, if a human ruler behaved in this manner, Christians would rightfully label him a tyrant. But their God gets a free pass. Go figure. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
21-03-2017, 06:20 AM
(21-03-2017 06:15 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 05:36 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  If something desires or demands worship, then it's not worthy of worship.

> Interestingly, if a human ruler behaved in this manner, Christians would rightfully label him a tyrant. But their God gets a free pass. Go figure. Facepalm

In a possibly slightly different topic, but do those who worship god(s) act the same around a human ruler?

I know if a human ruler "demanded" my worship, they'd get about as much worship as I give anybody else....zero Laugh out load I'm British, and like the Queen, but I don't worship her or the royal family. If she appeared on TV and demanded I worship her, I'd tell them to go swivel lol.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
21-03-2017, 06:47 AM
(21-03-2017 06:20 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 06:15 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Interestingly, if a human ruler behaved in this manner, Christians would rightfully label him a tyrant. But their God gets a free pass. Go figure. Facepalm

In a possibly slightly different topic, but do those who worship god(s) act the same around a human ruler?

I know if a human ruler "demanded" my worship, they'd get about as much worship as I give anybody else....zero Laugh out load I'm British, and like the Queen, but I don't worship her or the royal family. If she appeared on TV and demanded I worship her, I'd tell them to go swivel lol.

The only people I would be most inclined to worship would be my parents. I never have and they never demanded that, and that's one of the reasons I respect them, because they don't make ridiculous and childish demands.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post