God is Beyond Our Comprehension

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2011, 01:07 PM
God is Beyond Our Comprehension
If I'm arguing with a theist and they say that God is above logic and the laws of the universe, how do I reply?

I said it was impossible.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2011, 01:38 PM
RE: God is Beyond Our Comprehension
I'd ask them how they know this about their god if he is, indeed, beyond our comprehension Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
16-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Superman is above logic and the laws universe. Does this make him real?

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
16-04-2011, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2011 03:41 PM by Observer.)
try this...
The "brawl" (Smile) stops at 1:13 from there it gets interesting for you.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
16-04-2011, 05:14 PM
It's really the only way to combat that statement. They tell you that so you tell them, "then you don't know god?". When they state they do know god you then tell them it can't be beyond human understanding then. Like the video suggested if they bring up some silly thing like faith just ask them again do they know? If they state they feel it but can't describe it then you say, "then god is beyond understanding and you don't know god".

Suggestions like feelings can be dissuaded with many ideas my favorite being the phantom limb syndrome. People who lose appendages often feel that they are still there even having noticeable pain though there is no appendage. Their mind believes completely that there is an appendage, but it's observably false.

I do feel that the world can be viewed in many ways, but what reality should be determined as in these conversations is the plane of existence where entities meet each other. No one entity determines what is reality. They can determine anything while on their own, but when interacting with others it is impossible for one to determine the world in which this takes place.

If someone is stubborn on this point end your argument by saying that you believe in things that you understand, and an important part of being able to understand them is that you are able to truly discern the good from the bad. If you were to simply believe in anything then you wouldn't be able to be sure it was good. Many ideas look great on paper but are horrible in practice. As long as they want to debate ideas vs physics you're not going to bother. There is no way to compare the two.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-04-2011, 04:37 AM
I thought this over for a while...

You could also ask why he has to invent an new logic to explain the previous one. That's not really a solution...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-04-2011, 11:53 AM
"God is not beyond "our" understanding, I understand perfectly that he does not exist."

"If he truly is "beyond our understanding" then why is it so many theists say they know him intimately?"

"How does it make sense to devote your life to an entity than cannot be understood?"

"If you want to put faith into something beyond your understanding, would you like to invest in my new leprechaun farming business? I guarantee a 1623% return on your investment within the first two weeks."

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
17-04-2011, 12:11 PM
(17-04-2011 11:53 AM)Michael Wrote:  I guarantee a 1623% return on your investment within the first two weeks."
/*off topic/ warning... do not insert an exact due date into your scheme. /off topic*/

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
17-04-2011, 08:31 PM
say after the rapture =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.