God is Dead - Now what?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2011, 01:49 AM
RE: God is Dead - Now what?
(08-02-2011 06:52 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  Can going to church make you feel socially good and uplifting, sure! Doesn't make religion any more real though! I wish we could convert churches into community centers, places to play sports, senior centers (old people sit at home bored too much), places to play music (church acoustics are often unrivaled), I think there could be many great uses for churches and people could get together and socialize in their common interests.

I'd love to see that. The main obstacle is how to make it work without the money that religion cons out of it's victims' pockets.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2011, 03:18 AM
RE: God is Dead - Now what?
I posted something similar once on facebook, aka the World's Biggest Bathroom Stall, and after digging back about a year I found it:

"I propose my alternative to religion. Most people at the core aren't attached to the religious or god part of it, they just feel comforted by tradition. They like the big church where people are nice to each other or how an official funeral led by a man reading a goodbye mantra feels like a proper act to lay the memory of a loved to rest. I say we replace religious organizations and all the bigotry, discrimination, and fear driven guilt that comes with it... with a "do good" organization. Collectives of humans focused on doing good for humanity not because of threat of eternal punishment, but because they genuinely want others to be happy. You can't kill in the name of a charity-esque organization because they have no superstitions that promises afterlife. You can still have the big church buildings but without the "appointed voice of goodness" telling everyone what to do."

To which, in normal FB fashion, the response was:

"Brian: "Do good" community service organization does not move the hearts of men. God does.
Some men will kill for an ideology, how many men will die for God?
Religion also built beautiful cathedrals, inspired countless great works of Art, inspired men to do untold charity. The atrocities committed in the name of God are testament to man's nature.
If you abolished religion tomorrow people would (and currently do) find alternate avenues to abuse and malign one another.
The answer is to retain the good and dispense with the bad as with anything in life."

Annnnnd my response:

"Well that's what boggles my mind. Why is it that another human doing a good deed for you for the sole purpose of improving the quality of your life is less moving than a parent in the sky who doesn't acknowledge your deeds, regardless of good or bad? And for the countless works of art inspired by religion, there are countless works of art destroyed by religion through irrationality and countless brilliant minds silenced by the righteous fist."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply