God is Existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: God is Existence
(21-12-2012 01:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 01:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... I'll defend anyone who is attacked unfairly.

Unfounded claims against someone are no way to start an argument or debate.
"God is metaphysical."

Hmmmmmmm Consider
I should have said, "God is a metaphysical claim."

My wording isn't always the greatest.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2012, 01:41 PM
(21-12-2012 01:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... I'll defend anyone who is attacked unfairly.

Unfounded claims against someone are no way to start an argument or debate.
Preach it, brother. Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-12-2012, 01:46 PM
God is Existence
(21-12-2012 01:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Both ideasonscribe and kingschosen are defending atheists against a theist newcomer? Consider

[Image: 29631249.jpg]

It's a Christmas miracle!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
21-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(21-12-2012 01:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's a Christmas miracle!
Either that, or it's a sign that the world will end today after all. Rolleyes

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
21-12-2012, 01:57 PM
(21-12-2012 07:37 AM)lmbarre Wrote:  Most atheists hate God by denial of God's existence. They wallow in darkness, unable even to attempt to explain the how and why of God as Existence. Why is there something rather than nothing? This is why they so often "diss" God and theists. God exists because Existence is God

Pantheist
A few questions for you:

1) You ask why there is something rather than nothing and apparently answer with "because of God". Well why is there God rather than nothing?

2) If existence IS God, how is this different from atheism? By that I mean at least most atheists believe in existence. So what would be the difference between existence without God and existence with God (which you say is existence itself)? Either way, there is existence. What's God's contribution or influence on existence?

3) What is existence? (Yes, I'm serious. No good philosopher would attempt to leave that question unanswered.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
21-12-2012, 02:15 PM
^What Impulse said.

If God is existence, and most of us do believe we exist, why do you need to call it "god"? Why not say "existence"?

Other than that, as I see it, atheists are sometimes willing to answer a question they don't know the answer to with "I don't know." That's the honest way to answer a question, if you don't know the answer. The difference is many theists claim to know all the answers, so there is no need to search further. Atheists, on the other hand, can admit they don't know, but may know in the future.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
21-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I exist.
Therefore, I am god.

Oooo, this opens all kinds of doors.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-12-2012, 08:00 PM
(21-12-2012 02:15 PM)amyb Wrote:  ^What Impulse said.

If God is existence, and most of us do believe we exist, why do you need to call it "god"? Why not say "existence"?
Thank you for phrasing that so much more eloquently than I did. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-12-2012, 08:01 PM
(21-12-2012 05:57 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I exist.
Therefore, I am god.

Oooo, this opens all kinds of doors.
Bowing

... wait a minute... Dodgy
Tongue

22-12-2012, 02:58 PM
(21-12-2012 07:37 AM)lmbarre Wrote:  Most atheists hate God by denial of God's existence. They wallow in darkness, unable even to attempt to explain the how and why of God as Existence. Why is there something rather than nothing? This is why they so often "diss" God and theists. God exists because Existence is God

Pantheist
I know you've been challenged, rebuked, and called out by dozens of posters for posting this. I'm responding to you not because I believe my words will somehow reach you, which would be very arrogant of me to believe, but because I once harbored a similar view as you do.

Let's start with your presentation. You immediately started with an unfounded assumption. Do you know most atheists? Keep in mind, there are hundreds of millions of atheists in the world. How many have you personally met? Even if you've been debating with hundreds of atheists, be it in person or online, those numbers are still nowhere near the majority. What this means is you're speaking out of ignorance, which makes us question the validity of your words.

Your next sentence worsens your already questionable reputation. What makes you think atheists wallow in darkness? And how does this prove the existence of God?

Which brings me to my next question: what is your definition of God? If it's just existence, perhaps you should realize everyone has a different interpretation of the word God than you do. You're also not making any sense. We already have a word for existence, let alone an understanding for it. So claiming God is existence strikes me more as a sign of desperation on your part. To illustrate further why your beliefs here are incredibly flawed, I'm going to adopt your warped view of existence and start claiming Santa Claus is existence. Odin is existence. Zeus is existence. I'm existence. Do you see a pattern here? Not all these views can be right, but all these views can be wrong. Remember that.

If you think Superman is real, comics are historical events,
and a bite from a radioactive spider will give you superpowers,
congratulations! You're on the same playing field as a theist.
[+] 8 users Like TomS's post