God is Existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: God is Existence
(23-12-2012 10:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 10:15 AM)lmbarre Wrote:  What warrant do you have that god is non-existence when existence exists?
Non-existence exists as well, doesn't it? Consider

Jokes aside, if your god is synonymous with "existence", why do you call it "god" and not "existence"? And more importantly, for what reason would you want to worship it?
Because Nothingness exists as a concept.

I call Existence God(dess) because it is the best description of the nature of Existence with its incomprehensible vastness and complexity.

I do not worship Existence. I am a theistic, secular humanist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I define god as a conscious entity that created the universe and watches over the affairs of man, then punishes or rewards his creations based on their actions during their short and usually painful existence. So I don't believe in god and am justified in doing so.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
23-12-2012, 12:51 PM
When has God actually proven itself directly to you?

Or are you relying solely on information received from parties such as priests, parents or anyone else who has learned about god from someone else?

You aren't selling belief, you are regurgitating someone else's

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
23-12-2012, 12:51 PM
When has God actually proven itself directly to you?

Or are you relying solely on information received from parties such as priests, parents or anyone else who has learned about god from someone else?

You aren't selling your own belief, you are regurgitating someone else's

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
23-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Considering the concept of god has been around for thousands of years, who HASN'T picked up their ideas from other humans?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
23-12-2012, 01:15 PM
It's meaningless to say God is existence. What is existence? It's like a question of what is truth ? Everyone can recognize truth. If I told you I was an actual dog you'd know this not to be true. But what is truth? Corresponding to external reality? Are we 100% sure of external reality ? What about infinity ? Does it exist ? It exists as a concept in mathematics. You can make useful calculations with it. Do calculus. Does it *exist* ? There's nothing in nature that we've ever observed that is infinite. So existence is not well defined. Saying God is existence means as much as saying God is a cucumber.
23-12-2012, 01:35 PM
(23-12-2012 11:47 AM)lmbarre Wrote:  Because Nothingness exists as a concept.

I call Existence God(dess) because it is the best description of the nature of Existence with its incomprehensible vastness and complexity.

I do not worship Existence. I am a theistic, secular humanist.
Using a term that, in most cases, refers to a (conscious) being to describe the nature of existence seems to be misleading at best. With that said, why do you think that "god(dess)" is the best description for the nature of existence? I think that calling it "incomprehensible vast and complex" hits the nail on its head already.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
23-12-2012, 06:19 PM
(23-12-2012 01:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Considering the concept of god has been around for thousands of years, who HASN'T picked up their ideas from other humans?
me me me

---------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge can be given, Understanding must be earned
[+] 1 user Likes Andrew_Njonjo's post
23-12-2012, 08:55 PM
(23-12-2012 06:19 PM)Andrew_Njonjo Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 01:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Considering the concept of god has been around for thousands of years, who HASN'T picked up their ideas from other humans?
me me me
That's impossible. You picked up the English language.
24-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Do you "hate" Allah, Imbarre? Do you "hate" the Easter Bunny? Santa Claus? Orcs?

Why would anyone hate something non-existent? While it may be true that we hate what religion does to people, hating an imaginary being itself is like being sad about spilling the milk you never bought or being happy about the lottery that you might have won if you bought a ticket.

And all this nonsense about God existing because existence exists would make absolutely anything existent if you posited that it created existence. If we believed that Allah created everything, and our evidence of that was that "everything exists", would that convince you that Allah is real? Of course not, because it doesn't make sense unless you already believe the conclusion. Try harder, Imbarre.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post