"God is Good" - Giving gods undeserved credit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 06:43 PM
RE: "God is Good" - Giving gods undeserved credit
I wasthat christian and still don't understand the ridiculous thought process of ignoring all the horrible god allows/ignores, yet give him all the credit for the good.

[Image: 10013971_10153923918995023_1730165696_n.jpg]

When a loved one dies even after intense prayers, why does this not occur to them?

[Image: 10382993_464562607013508_1455065072620982146_n.jpg]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 11:00 PM
(10-09-2014 06:43 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  When a loved one dies even after intense prayers, why does this not occur to them?

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, one of my aunts had cancer. I prayed for her several times daily for months that God would heal her. One of my teachers even commented to my parents that I was "a little prayer warrior."

She died.

I had absolute faith in God at the time. My whole life I'd been told this was the real God, he answered prayer, he loved me and he could do anything. No one ever tried to explain to me how she could die after I had prayed so much. Probably because as adults they took the hit-and-miss nature of prayer for granted and didn't realize I actually expected God to heal her. I don't remember what actually went through my head at the time, but I still remember that prayer going unanswered 30 years later, so it had to have made a strong impression.

I occasionally see memes from from people like Stormie Omartian that suggest if God isn't responding to your prayer that it might be because you don't have enough faith. Pray like you believe it's already been given to you. When ever I see or hear things like that I remember God letting down when I was a little boy praying for my aunt. I never had more faith than I did back then, so that wasn't the problem.

Now I know it was because there was nobody listening.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Something bad happens = free will

Something good happens = God is great

Pretty good setup.
11-09-2014, 06:22 AM
(10-09-2014 09:37 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Meanwhile, I'm thinking "underestimate God? If anything, I overestimate Him!" For one thing, her loving heavenly father could have picked her up off the floor so she didn't have to lie in a pool of her own blood for 10 hours. Or, I don't know, prevented the fall in the first place? If a human dad knew his daughter busted her head open falling in the bathroom and left her there all night we'd call child protective services. But God, the only one who knew what happened, get's praised because she didn't die. He didn't even prevent the muscle atrophy that contributed to the following succession of falls!

God only "makes sense" to believers when they only view small facets of him at a time. This is why when a skeptic points out some ugly or uncomfortable truth, they start changing the subject. They try to discuss some other facet of God where the criticism won't work, and hope you don't realize they just pulled a non sequitur.
19-09-2014, 02:24 PM
(10-09-2014 09:37 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  A friend's Grandma has fallen several times recently. The first time she hit her head very hard and was laying on her bathroom floor bleeding all night. After the most recent fall she went into the hospital and it looked like she probably wouldn't make it much longer. However, her recovery has surpassed initial expectations even if she is still confined to a hospital bed.

What did Grandma have to say about this? "People underestimate what God can do!" Then the choir joins in with variations on the "praise the Lord" theme and "our God can do anything."

Update:

"Family and friends: Grandma fell again at 1:00 a.m. and fractured the other side of her pelvis. Her blood pressure and oxygen are extremely low. She had refused to move or eat for several days."

Well...so much for underestimating God.

I have a feeling the "God has a new angel" post is not too far away. Although it seems kind of mean of him to beat her up before taking her home.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson