God is Great!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 07:50 AM
God is Great!
Hi all. Sorry for the provocative title. Angel

My name is James and although I've always questioned the religion with which I was indoctrinated, I only recently adopted the "atheist" title in the last year or so. I was raised Roman Catholic, but my family was not too heavily into it. We were a typical NY Italian family that only prayed on Thanksgiving and went to church for funerals and whatnot.

Having been raised in Brooklyn, I was exposed to many different cultures, ethnicities, and religious faiths of all kinds. Seeds of doubt were planted very early when I'd find myself with friends playing GI Joes one minute, and suddenly have to stop because one of my friends had to go kneel in the corner and pray. If this is a covenant of God, wouldn't it be required of us all? Strange, but I'm just a kid, so back to GI Joes for me.

Most of my life I proclaimed to be catholic, but simply just didn't think much about it. I would imagine this is the case for most people. Live your life, pray sporadically and insincerely, go to church when it's convenient, etc... Even though my 'faith' was always lackluster, never did I think I'd one day consider myself atheist.

About 2 years ago, I decided to pursue the "truth". I was a believer in God, but given my upbringing and environment, it was obvious to me that structured religions were man-made and based on varying interpretations of one universal truth. I was convinced that this 'truth' can only be found within some sort of common ground of the world's religions. I was determined to find this common ground.

Long story short... The only common ground I ever found was that they all believe in intangible things that were clearly the product of the human imagination. It became increasingly obvious that not only were the religions themselves nothing more than cultural mythologies and folklore, but the idea of supreme beings in general. These ideas were clearly just early attempts to explain what cannot be explained. I've given this its due diligence and the research is ongoing and never-ending. Every new piece of information I pursue only helps fortify my conclusion that atheism is the only truly objective and honest position.

I'd like to personally thank Seth for the work he does. As entertaining and satisfying as the more heavy-handed atheist activists are, Seth's subtle and sensible approach has had the most profound affect on my attitude towards this entire endeavor. It's thoughts of Seth that keep me tranquil in my demeanor when interacting with others on the subject. Thank you Seth. /misty-eyed handshake

I was even inspired to make a song about atheism. It might not be your bag as far as genre (hip hop), but I think most of you would agree with the content. If you can spare a few minutes take a listen. The YouTube link is in my signature.

Anyway, that's the gist of my story. Thank you for taking a look. I look forward to many insightful and meaningful discussions on this forum.

James G

JhaeL - This Atheist (Original Atheism Rap)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: God is Great!
Welcome. Thumbsup

The Secret War on Space, that NASA Doesn't want you to know about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FqBE3JzE...5iV4rgm6dg
25-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-08-2014, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2014 08:53 AM by Brian37.)
You just earned a plug on my FB page and a thread at Rational Responders!

The only thing missing from your rap song are barbecue kittens.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Hello. Smile

Much cheers to all
25-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Ciao James, benvenuto!
25-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Welcome along.

Now, which God was great ?

Oh...the one that created Malaria ! Thats the one.

...and the one who made special fungi to infest crops such as wheat, Barley & Rye giving people the grace & gift of Ergot poisoning.
Yeh, the toxin that makes prolonged excruciating burning pain, followed by swelling, gangrene and eventually the legs, arms and testicles (if you have them) fall off. Of course whilst this is happening God adds some convulsions, Diarrhea and mental confusion & delirium for good measure.

Oh...and this God is soooooo....Great - that the toxic alkaloids even passes into mothers milk to give the Ergot gift to the Baby so baby now also gets to feel Gods Grace, Mercy, Kindness and Love.

Oh, Lo, How I miss worshiping God.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
25-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Thank you for the welcome everybody. And thanks for the FB plug Brian, that's very appreciated. Thumbsup

JhaeL - This Atheist (Original Atheism Rap)