God is Imaginary and Non-Existent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 01:58 AM
God is Imaginary and Non-Existent
People define god using imaginary and non-existent terms.

He is outside the universe. (The universe is where existent things exist. Being outside of exisistence is classified as non-existent.)
All knowing (We have to use our imagination to try and understand this concept.)
Only in our imagination can we attempt to envision the infinite. And this is where god is defined, in our imagination.

We imagine that the warm feeling some of us feel while in a spiritual state is god.
We imagine that a god is watching over us.

If you ever listen to any of William Lane Craig's speeches, you will hear him use the word imagination quite often when referring to god. "It was hard for me to imagine that the creator of the entire universe loved me."
He would then go to say something like "Take a moment and imagine it for yourselves. Do you feel that warmth when you imagine this concept ? That's god right there."

When you think of all the ways god is defined, you begin to see the patterns of imagination and non-existence clearly at work.
This is why I so often describe god as imaginary, because the concept so clearly is.

What are your thoughts ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 05:43 AM
RE: God is Imaginary and Non-Existent
If God lived in South Park's Imaginationland, I would think he would be on the other side of the wall.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2013, 06:15 AM
When I was a christian, I imagined that god is the silence. Because he never spoke. Blush

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post
05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
That's my point. It's our imagination that guides us into thinking that some action or non-action is god's handy work.

I found my keys. Thank you god. People imagine that god helps them to do mundane tasks.
I made a touchdown. Thank you god. People imagine that god aides them in sports and other activities in life.

That is where god is found, in the realm of the imagination.

God is everywhere because you imagine him to be everywhere. He has all the traits that you can imagine, even the ones that contradict each other.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
05-02-2013, 08:06 AM
And I have major contempt for that imaginary being for disrupting my life and screwing up my future. But I digress.

Yes, there is a whole lot of imagination when it comes to this god and what it is supposed to be doing. Though the christian will staunchly say "it IS god", . . . in reality, you have to imagine that the bible passages you are reading is "god's message to you in your time of need". You have to imagine that god is speaking to you when you pray, and "he will speak to you in that still small voice". . .

You have to imagine why you were not healed, when you [and many other "prayer warriors"] prayed SO hard for it, . . . only to rationalize it with "god wants me to learn some sort of lesson". You have to imagine the actions of this god who allows the unjust to prevail and the sincere christian take it up the ass with no reason. . . . but that "god doesn't go against a person's will". . . . . or some other BS.

There is a really good reason why a person has to do all this imagining. It is the "grown up" version of imaginary friend, but only worse. Actual grown ups should know better.
05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
It gets lonely, adulthood. And it's humiliating to be at the mercy of things like biology, luck and weather. We like control, so we imagine an entity that can be persuaded or bribed to change biology, luck and the weather. The fact that this never actually works is explained away by sin. So, we still don't control our fate, but now it's because we're bad-ass, not because we're helpless. And there's somebody to complain at, who has to listen.
(Ever consider that? God is the only entity in the universe of free will who isn't allowed to hang up!)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

God is the fundamental monistic consciousness. That's all we can really say about Him. This is no doubt a limiting term, but it's all we can deal with given the parameters of our intellect. His personality is all our personalities and His Word is Jesus Christ.

Therefore, it's not the existence of God that is in question, it's the true existence of everything else. Everything is "of" God's substance, so is anything really real?

A dream is a model for what I'm talking about. In a dream, the only thing that is really real is your mind. Everything in the dream is made from that fundamental monistic substance, that is your mind. So, the question is not do "you" exist, but does anything else in the dream exist?

And this brings us to an even more ironic situation. All these atheist vs. theist debates are pointless, because all we are really debating is the existence of the only thing that does exist.

In my forum, when it is fully operational, the main way I will defeat atheism is to show that atheists really do believe in God. Everyone believes in God. The atheism is just a pretense for something else.
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
(05-02-2013 09:50 AM)Egor Wrote:  God is the fundamental monistic consciousness. That's all we can really say about Him. This is no doubt a limiting term, but it's all we can deal with given the parameters of our intellect. His personality is all our personalities and His Word is Jesus Christ.

Meaningless blather.

Quote:Therefore, it's not the existence of God that is in question, it's the true existence of everything else. Everything is "of" God's substance, so is anything really real?

Maybe if we drooped you off a tall building, you could describe the reality of the sidewalk to us.
No, you couldn't, because you'd be really dead.

Quote:A dream is a model for what I'm talking about. In a dream, the only thing that is really real is your mind. Everything in the dream is made from that fundamental monistic substance, that is your mind. So, the question is not do "you" exist, but does anything else in the dream exist?

What is this monistic substance? Do you have evidence that physics and chemistry have it all wrong?

Quote:And this brings us to an even more ironic situation. All these atheist vs. theist debates are pointless, because all we are really debating is the existence of the only thing that does exist.

No, they are not pointless. It is the argument between reason and non-reason.

Quote:In my forum, when it is fully operational, the main way I will defeat atheism is to show that atheists really do believe in God. Everyone believes in God. The atheism is just a pretense for something else.

No, I don't believe in any gods. That is not a pretense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Joseph Smith figured out god's true message years ago:

The celestial kingdom itself is subdivided into three "heavens or degrees". Only those individuals who are sealed in celestial marriage to a spouse in a temple while alive (or after death by proxy) will be permitted to enter into the highest degree of celestial kingdom. These individuals will eventually become "exalted" and will be permitted to live "the kind of life God lives" as literal gods and goddesses, as Doctrine and Covenants 132 explains. The nature of the other two degrees within the Celestial Kingdom have not been described, except to say that the people who go there will become "ministering angels".

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
(05-02-2013 10:13 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Joseph Smith figured out god's true message years ago:

The celestial kingdom itself is subdivided into three "heavens or degrees". Only those individuals who are sealed in celestial marriage to a spouse in a temple while alive (or after death by proxy) will be permitted to enter into the highest degree of celestial kingdom. These individuals will eventually become "exalted" and will be permitted to live "the kind of life God lives" as literal gods and goddesses, as Doctrine and Covenants 132 explains. The nature of the other two degrees within the Celestial Kingdom have not been described, except to say that the people who go there will become "ministering angels".

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Laughat Joseph Smith. No Con man. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]