God is Real: Worshippable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 05:51 PM
RE: God is Real: Worshippable?
Hey, Lucradis.

That's your interpretation. My interpretation of your interpretation is that it leaves out a lot of good things, like, y'know, God creating us. That was pretty boss of the guy if you ask me Cool

Your murder my kids analogy is about as inflammatory as it gets. It creates a pretty tight frame within which it's virtually impossible for me to reply in any meaningful way. So I'll just say that I've already expressed something that should answer that question.

Hey, Chas.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my analogies.

God may be sentient, but he (and his function) is also unique (hypothetically speaking of course). His job is to manage the universe. God must make all manner of good/evil, life/death, pain/joy judgement calls all of the time. I can't imagine that an entirely malevolent entity would be particularly good at that job. It strikes me that neutrality is sort of a prerequisite for the job and that I'm likely going to dislike roughly 50% of the choices. I also can't imagine a universe in which only good happens, so I don't harbour any resentment that shitty things happen. Such is life. Currently, we assume that chance makes the decisions about good stuff and shitty stuff. So what's the difference if it's God? The effect is exactly the same. What does it matter if it's random or if someone is making the decision? Are you currently pissed at chance?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry not trying to be inflammatory at all. I thought it was a just question, as I've heard of all sorts of people who claim to not hate their childrens murderers or rapists. It was more along the lines of me wondering if you apply a sort of disconnect to a crime if it isn't committed against you personally.

I mean a murderer who kills kids because they are made that way shouldn't recieve any more hate than a god who kills because that's just what he does, should they?

As far as god giving us life, well that would be a cool thing to do, given certain conditions. Complete free will would be one of them, with no punishment outside of what we do to ourselves. I could get behind that. But then I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about a god such as the one from the new testament, that will torture someone indefinitely for a haircut.
Or recommend child murder for some lippy remarks.

Some of you aren't playing the game fairly. We aren't talking about your idyllic god here people. We are talking about the ones we know, the ones we've read about. As if all the actions written about were true stories and happened exactly as described.

Not the gods we wouldn't mind envisioning. I mean I wouldn't mind os much if there was a god like The Dude, though he wouldn't let kids starve and weed would always be legal.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 07:01 PM
If that were to happen that would mean that i am no longer bound by this physical world and limitations.

I would. Utterly destroy such a being and then tell the world that the prick has been dealt with and from now on things are going to be very different.

Women will now have the abiliity to create large voltage shocks through touch.
All bullets will magically return and kill the person firing the gun.
All waste and pollution will disappear.
Evil pricks of the world will have their mouths arms and legs removed until they reach the point of death.

I would probably become a corrupt prick of a god Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-10-2012, 07:08 PM
So since we are in a universe in which i am not a corrupt prick of a god then that means that no gods exist.

There i have proven without a doubt that god doesnt exist.

That was easy Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey, Lucradis.

If God, the unmittigated asshole with no redeeming qualities who can't even get creating us right showed his face, then sure, I'd think he's an asshole. But if that's the question you're asking, then the fight is rigged. You'll get the answer you want to hear.

As for the murderer thing, it's too simplistic. God is not a murderer as a state of being. He is not that because no one is anything as a state of being and he is not that because he is so much more. So yeah, if God was a crackhead out for dope money who shot my kids, I'd probably be irked. But again, that's a rigged question.

And further to that, if a person committs a murder because they're mentally ill, I don't condemn them. Doesn't mean I condone them or that I aint upset, but I don't asign blame and judge them for being ill. But that's neither here nor there.

And as for your critique of giving us life, it's a bit too cynical for my taste.
"The dead know only one thing. It is better to be alive."
-Full Metal Jacket
I can fault no one for giving me life. I rather appreciate it.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
22-10-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm not trying to rig questions ghostly chap, you're reading far too much into this.

I don't actually care what anyone's answers are. It's more of a question of, can someone forgive major atrocities in their life giver. I can't.

I can't separate the action from the individual, I am jealous of those like yourself who can. If a mentally deranged person hurt my child I would hate them with every fiber of my being. To me there is no justification for an action like that. There must always be a way to prevent incidences like that, in my head anyways.

To me all of God's crimes read the same way. I wouldn't be able to see the nicer side of someone who when dissatisfied with his living creation just decides to wipe us all out. I love life, but learn that it's not mine would sort of ruin it from me.

To me it would be like discovering a holodeck. Fun for a while and then I'd just want something real. I'm not saying I would Lose appreciation for how awesome everything is, it would all start to feel fake, like when you learn how a magician does the tricks.

I'm not trying to rig the results, just spark discussion.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
22-10-2012, 08:36 AM
(21-10-2012 07:55 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Egor your comment makes no sense. Are you slipping back into the realm of indistinguishable gibberish again?

Basically what my question boils down to is "Would you worship any god that has been described in pretty much any one of the popular horror nove... holy books, if you were to find out un-equivocally that that particular god was actually real."

In truth I'm sure that it wouldn't matter whether you did or not, because the whole god thing makes no sense in any kind of way, and your worship would again be outside of your control anyways. Your love or hate would be meaningless and so would your pleasure or suffering.

For me, even if free will were a thing in a god existing scenario somehow, I couldn't worship a god such as has been described. I just couldn't. The only thing that could possibly drive me to worship something so heinous would be fear of punishment and it still wouldn't work because I would just assume god would know I was faking.

For you filthy theists, how do you explain your supposed love for god, even knowing that god (if he were real) has done some horrendous things to people and makes them suffer for all eternity? (Egor you don't count as you're not really a theist anyways.)

Especially you KC, I've never understood that about you. I get why as a theist you've decided on a Calvanistic approach to god, but I don't think I'm capable of understand ing your adoration of god.

What Vosur said.

Also, if I accept that God is perfect and I'm not omniscient, how can I have anything but adoration for Him?

His knowledge is infinite; mine is very limited/finite.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-10-2012, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 09:51 AM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
(20-10-2012 05:53 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 05:40 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'd want to know "which bible?"

I was going to ask the same thing.. Is this God coming down from planet Kolob or just flat out new and old testament bible.

Oh please please please let it be Elohim on planet Kolob. While I think Mormons are even more goofy than mainstream Christians (and that's saying something right there), at least their Elohim is actually a loving god who doesn't send people to hell (I'm told by Mormon friends that there are probably fewer than 10 people in hell; it's only for super bad guys who truly deserve it, like Hitler for example).

Besides, I could simply sign up, do the rituals and handshakes and secret names and magic underwear thing and presto, I can be MY OWN GOD for all of eternity. It's like the ultimate Sims game.

Since the reward is infinitely better and the punishment is non-existent for the Mormon silliness, you bet I hope it's him rather than scary old Send-em-all-to-Hell Yahweh.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
22-10-2012, 10:39 AM
(20-10-2012 05:30 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Let's play pretend and say that yesterday God revealed himself to the world, made sure it was 100% garaunteed undebatable that he was indeed God, The God, The one true God.

God said something along the lines of, "I'm not changing anything, I just wanted you guys to shut up about how I work in mysterious ways and that's why I never show you my pretty face, so go back to normal, and know that the bible is true, and bye."

What do you do?

Would you stop cutting your hair and shaving? Would you ladies stop wearing pants and keep your motuhs shut and your hands full of sandwhich making stuff? Would you pray for forgiveness and beg for heaven, cry for hell?

I am pretty sure I would cry. I would cry for the utter fucked up pointlessness that life had suddenly become to me, and the idea that we are all being controlled by an evil dictator. The horrible future my daughter would for sure have waiting for her. I would stress out about going to hell, knowing there was no way I wouldn't be going there, and knowing that I was sent there by someone under the guise of love and understanding, all the while being somewhat under control of that very someone.

I would know that I could never love the god from the bible. I don't hate god now, simply because I don't believe in his likelyhood. If God were proven to me, and it was for sure the same god that has been written about for a long ass time... you bet I'd hate him.

The "god" of the Bible could prove to me that he exists, but that wouldn't make him a "god". A true god would be worthy of being worshiped and that being isn't. That being, at best, is simply more powerful than us, but not a god.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
22-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Now there's an idea. I know very little of the mormon god, so I'm curious as to which already created god would be a personal preference? Meaning that anything relating to that god would become real as well.

As an example, if you were to pick say, Thor for instance, all of the other Norse mythology would be real too. Hel for instance. We'd all pretty much go there as our life doesn't have much to do with battle.

I don't know much about Norse mythology, I looked into it once and it seemed really complicated. Greek is easier. Christian is even easier. I know little of the mormon religion other than it is fuckin weird. Scientology is weird too. I don't really like the sound of any of them. I wouldn't do well with any of them. Hinduism is super complicated and creepy.