God is like the wind!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 09:32 AM
RE: God is like the wind!
Just reminds me of this:

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 09:35 AM
(05-07-2017 08:41 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 05:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  True, we don't see the wind, but we do perceive it. She forgets that we have more than the sense of sight. We can only "see" God by looking inward to the contents of the imagination.
There is no equivalence between things that are unseen yet objectively evidenced (wind, infrared, ultraviolet, bacteria, and on and on) and things that are unseen and NOT evidenced in any way (invisible beings and realms).

Even in cases where some circumstantial / subjective evidence seems to support a claim, such as the current glut of reality shows about "ghost hunters" and, less plentifully, psychics, it is still not enough to overcome a logical / skeptical default of unbelief which should reject seemingly plausible pattern matches with multiple explanations or at least stick with the most likely explanation. In the case of a psychic for example, cold reading explains so much more than one would think, and is far more likely to be true than things that have never been objectively demonstrated and never stand up to controlled objective scrutiny, such as mind reading.

It is telling that all supernatural claims depend on the unseen or on vague impressions from one's literal or metaphorical peripheral vision -- or, as in the case with religion generally, on just blind acceptance of assertions. There is really no reason why religious faith or some other form of systematized credulity should be a requirement for perceiving the unusual or miraculous. It should never require special modes of perception -- and yet somehow it always does. It never leaks into unforced perception -- gods always require corporate rituals like worship, music and mediation, preferably in specific architectural spaces, to seem real; ghosts always come out only at night / in the dark, spirits only speak through designated mediums and any rare physical manifestations are always in some contrived special circumstance (e.g., a seance -- again, in the dark and in an environment that the medium controls with the perceivers placed in a special "receptive" frame of mind).

All of these ghost hunter shows take a bunch of (ghost) believers and put them in old buildings, sometimes with a sordid history. Amazing that those biased believers find strange noises or see something odd when they are dropped in an environment conducive to such perceptions. Sometimes some of these things are staged for the cameras, I really developed a disdain for these shows after seeing them; after about 100 times, jumping after they hear a sound and saying "WHAT WAS THAT??!!"

It was a clown show, as far removed from science as those goofy stunts in seances that were a fad in the early 1900's.

Eva Carriere

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-07-2017, 09:42 AM
(05-07-2017 09:35 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  All of these ghost hunter shows take a bunch of (ghost) believers and put them in old buildings, sometimes with a sordid history. Amazing that those biased believers find strange noises or see something odd when they are dropped in an environment conducive to such perceptions. Sometimes some of these things are staged for the cameras, I really developed a disdain for these shows after seeing them; after about 100 times, jumping after they hear a sound and saying "WHAT WAS THAT??!!"

It's the same as going into those Live Action haunted houses. People going into them WANT to be scared or chased by maniacs...or both. I've never felt the need as I know they are just actors doing their job and won't legitimately hurt me...and if they did I'd sue the fuck out of them.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
05-07-2017, 10:52 AM
(05-07-2017 08:41 AM)mordant Wrote:  There is really no reason why religious faith or some other form of systematized credulity should be a requirement for perceiving the unusual or miraculous. It should never require special modes of perception -- and yet somehow it always does.

Yeah, the idea that mystical perceptions depend on higher (altered) states of consciousness is a typical rationalization. After I learned enough about dreaming (and especially about guided lucid dreams), I dropped that idea like a hot potato.

Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
05-07-2017, 01:51 PM
(05-07-2017 09:35 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  All of these ghost hunter shows take a bunch of (ghost) believers and put them in old buildings, sometimes with a sordid history. Amazing that those biased believers find strange noises or see something odd when they are dropped in an environment conducive to such perceptions. Sometimes some of these things are staged for the cameras, I really developed a disdain for these shows after seeing them; after about 100 times, jumping after they hear a sound and saying "WHAT WAS THAT??!!"

It was a clown show, as far removed from science as those goofy stunts in seances that were a fad in the early 1900's.

Eva Carriere

I used to really like Ghost Hunters back on SyFy, mostly because I liked the guys hosting. But that was the early days and even though they were believers, almost all of their early cases they ended up debunking more than saying anything was happening. Especially the bald one (Jason I think was his name), he almost refused to ever say anything was paranormal.

But then ratings and interest started to drop, so they changed up the show and their "techniques" and started doing the stupid ass "talk to the ghost" shit way more, and started using idiotic stuff like using a flashlight to "talk" to the spirits. And then flat out faking results. Hell one time they used infared footage of a "ghost" that was obviously a crew member just sneaking around. And suddenly Jason wasn't even remotely skeptical anymore.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
05-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Yeah I really cringe at those shows, mainly because my stepson is into them and he's the nerdy type who you feel like you have to take up whatever bonding experiences he offers up for you. So we end up watching a lot of these shows with him. It can be a real grind; I try to ignore the show and enjoy his reactions to it.

It is weird because he's absolutely an atheist; he's a philosophy major, for dog's sake. Somehow he has taken a shine to this one thing. The best he can explain it is that he still has a residual fear of the dark and it helps demystify and objectify it for him. I think it's highly compartmentalized entertainment to him; he doesn't believe it at a deep level. I suppose that some people enjoy it in that way, but I simply can't. Anymore than I can, given my background, take a hellfire and brimstone preacher as entertainment.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
27-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Yep. He, too, stinks. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-07-2017, 03:49 PM
God is like a fart in an elevator. You can't wait for the door to open and make your escape.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
28-07-2017, 02:05 AM
(27-07-2017 03:49 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  God is like a fart in an elevator. You can't wait for the door to open and make your escape.

[Image: H23hMbY.gif]

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
28-07-2017, 03:14 AM
God is like the wind.... he blows into gaps.

(Gaps being low air pressure, or something. Give me a break, I'm tired!)

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post