God is love? Not in this Universe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 01:39 PM
RE: God is love? Not in this Universe.
(13-07-2013 04:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 06:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The "Golden Rule" is not universal.

Actually, the "golden rule" is the very bases of empathy and morality. These are traits found in all social animals, which implies that not all morality is simply cultural and that some is probably evolutionary.
As a Christian I think empathy is the basis for the golden rule. The golden rule is the written ethical rationale of moral code that describes what is ethical behavior. Empathy is the Spirit behind it. You make an excellent point about social animals also.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 01:46 PM
(13-07-2013 01:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian I think empathy is the basis for the golden rule. The golden rule is the written ethical rationale of moral code that describes what is ethical behavior. Empathy is the Spirit behind it. You make an excellent point about social animals also.

Empathy is a socio-biological appendage, grounded in the concept of the "golden rule" and developed so the collective can survive. In other words, our species can only survive with great numbers, so more complex social interaction has been developed for group cohesion. It is simply evolutionary history. There's nothing divinely inspired or influenced here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
13-07-2013, 02:01 PM
(13-07-2013 01:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 04:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Actually, the "golden rule" is the very bases of empathy and morality. These are traits found in all social animals, which implies that not all morality is simply cultural and that some is probably evolutionary.
As a Christian I think empathy is the basis for the golden rule. The golden rule is the written ethical rationale of moral code that describes what is ethical behavior. Empathy is the Spirit behind it. You make an excellent point about social animals also.

Nope, ESS is the basis - Evolutionarily Stable Strategy. Game Theory. Look it up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2013, 04:12 PM
(13-07-2013 08:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 04:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Actually, the "golden rule" is the very bases of empathy and morality. These are traits found in all social animals, which implies that not all morality is simply cultural and that some is probably evolutionary.

Sorry.
What I meant to say was that it was not "absolute".
There are no gods or woo woo needed to explain this behavior.

When the video started and the story was told about the man who risked his life to save a perfect stranger, I was all intrigued about what was about to be presented. Then it devolved to explain in terms of computer programming and our own self awareness how empathy could have developed. Then came the predictable evolutionary grind of millions of years of ape-hood, adapting the genes by gradual co-operation for better food gathering capability till finally a man risks his life to save a perfect stranger while leaving his own kid behind. How uninspiring.

Once again I fail to see How God is explained away in any valid context. To my point, please explain how the source of the energy that created the universe is not present in the experience of every facet of life that we see happening in nature and in every event in the full course of time? All this video does is suggest that Love and empathy are beneficial to a healthy society and therefore would likely develop for that reason. No mention of why all humans are not jumping in front of trains to save others. No mention of why there are nations at war over who will get to rape the earth for resources to make money.

Consequently morality is the providence of Love and more metaphysical than physical. I already know about the bio-mechanics of neuroscience without ever studying it. I already know that the pleasure center of the brain is activated when an act of Love is performed. That is my personal experience as a Christian and why it is my pleasure to serve God. That is the joy and fulfillment promised in scripture. That is my faith as demonstrated on the cross, self sacrifice for others as opposed to sacrificing others to save myself. Moreover, the pleasure center of the brain can be activated when making money, eating chocolate, stealing and getting away with it, etc... I have already said that what we believe to be true is what governs our reasoning. It defines all of our binary terms.

Trying to do good out of religious duty is not at all the same as how God moved the man to risk his own life to save a stranger. The divine Love transcends ourselves and is a Higher power that is clearly seen in actions we can all applaud and marvel at. The fact that this professor opened with this story is a testimony that he too recognizes that it is the highest power for good known to man.

So the foretold Christ sacrifices himself, suffers a crucifixion, and just before he dies he forgives his murderers. But that is not worth studying because he is called the son of God? But a man saves a person from death by risking his own life and that is worth studying to prove life is a cosmic accident. Go figure.
13-07-2013, 04:22 PM
(13-07-2013 01:46 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 01:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian I think empathy is the basis for the golden rule. The golden rule is the written ethical rationale of moral code that describes what is ethical behavior. Empathy is the Spirit behind it. You make an excellent point about social animals also.

Empathy is a socio-biological appendage, grounded in the concept of the "golden rule" and developed so the collective can survive. In other words, our species can only survive with great numbers, so more complex social interaction has been developed for group cohesion. It is simply evolutionary history. There's nothing divinely inspired or influenced here.
I too see no divine inspiration in such an explanation. I just see molecules and amino acids, proteins, etc..
13-07-2013, 04:28 PM
(13-07-2013 04:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  I too see no divine inspiration in such an explanation. I just see molecules and amino acids, proteins, etc..

And that explanation is the correct one.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
13-07-2013, 04:31 PM
(13-07-2013 04:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  Once again I fail to see How God is explained away in any valid context.

Simulation of mind of another in mind. Product of evolution and basis of empathy. It is that very simulation that leads people like you to simulate a mind in nature. That's science.

All you're showing is ego, arrogance, and willful ignorance; pompous in your self-righteousness due to the fact that you cannot tolerate not being the center of the universe.

And what you continue to fail to demonstrate, is in what context is god explained into.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-07-2013, 04:48 PM
(13-07-2013 04:28 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 04:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  I too see no divine inspiration in such an explanation. I just see molecules and amino acids, proteins, etc..

And that explanation is the correct one.
Like heroin is happiness.
13-07-2013, 04:54 PM
(13-07-2013 04:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 04:28 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  And that explanation is the correct one.
Like heroin is happiness.

Happiness at it's base is simply the release of serotonin into the cortex. You have never properly shown how Love is anything more than a chemical reaction the the brain and is a personified being existing outside of a brain.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-07-2013, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 03:28 AM by Filox.)
(13-07-2013 04:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  
houseofcantor Wrote:Once again I fail to see How God is explained away in any valid context.

Simulation of mind of another in mind. Product of evolution and basis of empathy. It is that very simulation that leads people like you to simulate a mind in nature. That's science.
Faking empathy is not science.

houseofcantor Wrote:All you're showing is ego, arrogance, and willful ignorance; pompous in your self-righteousness due to the fact that you cannot tolerate not being the center of the universe.
If I believed all morality was relative to my subjective view, then I would be the center of the universe. As it is not so, I revolve around a Truth not of my own invention. Such is humility.

houseofcantor Wrote:And what you continue to fail to demonstrate, is in what context is god explained into.
In my limited knowledge that is temporal, I would say the beginning and the end.