God is moral in all cases

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 09:09 PM
God is moral in all cases
When god floods the world killing billions, is this moral? when he commands the slaughter of men women, children and babies is this moral? When god wants the death of unbelievers is this moral? In every case yes. God is the standard of morality, there is no higher than him. This simple fact is what terrifies me of christian morality. This is where their morals come from, a god that is peaceful yet screams for death. Sure, sometimes it promotes benevolence to your fellow man but how often can this change? If god were to tell every christian on earth to kill would they do it? And if not, they are defying god, which would imply that god is not perfect and to claim that is to be against god. They want nothing more than to wait for the second coming.
Morality most come from an evolution of ideas, things that were considered moral 100 years ago are not considered by the large of society moral today. Maybe to be so bold, that this is proof that morality is within our evolved nature, on how we see the world. And if not..what is the alternative?
Please, let the christians cherry pick, let them have all the good parts they want. Better yet take the bible as allegory, as metaphor, as literature. It can be a very human story that can influence lives for the better. Literal truth in the bible is not where the world should be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: God is moral in all cases
If you go by the Bible it's obvious that the Christian god does not practice what he preaches. He wants morality but doesn't feel the need to follow his own rules.

Do as I say, not as I do.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Also known as Divine Command theory.

Quote:Divine command theory is a meta-ethical theory which proposes that an action's status as morally good is equivalent to whether it is commanded by God. The theory asserts that what is moral is determined by what God commands, and that to be moral is to follow his commands.

The best part is, many theists like to posit they follow an absolute morality. Not true. If you simply follow the commands of the Bible, then your morality is necessarily built upon the subjective whims of a god which (assuming Biblical inerrancy) can and does change. Their morality, by being based on the nature of a being that changes, is by necessity subjective. It's subjective to the whim of a god. This of course leads is to the Euthyphro dilemma. Simply stated...

Quote:Is something morally right because god commands it? Or does god command it because it's morally right?

Socrates figured this shit out over two millennia ago, and theists still have trouble with it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
(06-10-2013 09:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also known as Divine Command theory.

Quote:Divine command theory is a meta-ethical theory which proposes that an action's status as morally good is equivalent to whether it is commanded by God. The theory asserts that what is moral is determined by what God commands, and that to be moral is to follow his commands.

The best part is, many theists like to posit they follow an absolute morality. Not true. If you simply follow the commands of the Bible, then your morality is necessarily built upon the subjective whims of a god which (assuming Biblical inerrancy) can and does change. Their morality, by being based on the nature of a being that changes, is by necessity subjective. It's subjective to the whim of a god. This of course leads is to the Euthyphro dilemma. Simply stated...

Quote:Is something morally right because god commands it? Or does god command it because it's morally right?

Socrates figured this shit out over two millennia ago, and theists still have trouble with it.
Damn, and I thought I just made that shit up. I'm gonna have to read that some day.
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Their god does or promotes things he declares sinful, and they say he is perfectly moral because he's God. According to many people, Christian morals are defined by the whims of a mass-murdering psychopath.

Torture is wrong unless it isn't.

Rape is wrong unless it isn't.

Murder is wrong unless it isn't

Hardly a consistent system of morality.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
07-10-2013, 12:23 AM
When speaking about the morality of something, one is making a distinction between right and wrong....or good and bad behavior. In order to make that distinction there must be a judge. You can be a judge, and God can be a judge. Anytime there is more than one judge, the possibility exists that those judges will not be in total agreement. It shouldn't be a surprise to you or anyone that God might judge an act as moral that you might judge immoral...or vise versa.
07-10-2013, 12:27 AM
But I exist. God is highly doubtful.

That means that the probability is such is that these "rules" were made up by men and that is a whole different kettle of fish, isn't it?
07-10-2013, 12:33 AM
(07-10-2013 12:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  But I exist. God is highly doubtful.

That means that the probability is such is that these "rules" were made up by men and that is a whole different kettle of fish, isn't it?

When have men agreed about morality?
07-10-2013, 01:52 AM
(07-10-2013 12:33 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 12:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  But I exist. God is highly doubtful.

When have men agreed about morality?

Mind if your daughter gets raped then? Its ok... I'm sure the rapist will pay you some silver and marry her... then she can blow him every night till she dies.

Confused

I wonder how many agree with that morality?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
07-10-2013, 02:02 AM
(07-10-2013 01:52 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 12:33 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  When have men agreed about morality?

Mind if your daughter gets raped then? Its ok... I'm sure the rapist will pay you some silver and marry her... then she can blow him every night till she dies.

Confused

I wonder how many agree with that morality?

It is not unknown for a man to kill his daughter because she was promiscuous. Now I am sure you would agree with me that such a behavior is immoral. But the man who commits that "Honor" killing doesn't agree with us. If men can disagree about whether it is right or wrong to kill ones daughter, then it is conceivable that some men will sympathize with their daughters rapists and not find the rape immoral.

Morality is a judgment and when there are judges there is always the potential for disagreement. When a disagreement arises you should not be surprised. You should not be surprised that God's morality isn't exactly like yours...in fact you should kinda expect it.