God is not a religion, religion is man made.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2014, 02:41 PM
I've heard this a couple times today, when did this become a thing? I guess people believe that God is not apart of religion and is a separate idea. Where is the logic in this and why are people preaching this? I could go over the thousands of reasons why this is false but i'll save you the trouble of reading stuff you already know Thumbsup .

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2014, 02:58 PM
RE: God is not a religion, religion is man made.
I dunno man. I mean the idea of god and religion can be seperated it seems to me.
There are plenty of non religious theists. My sister is an example. She believes in Jesus but you'll never see her in church. You'll never see her pray. You'll never see her do any of the religious things. Doesn't that mean that she isn't religious? Maybe. I dunno.
Then there are deists. Can't really say they are religious.
Maybe you meant something more specific? Or perhaps I fully misunderstand what you are saying? That been known to happen...
14-06-2014, 03:38 PM
(14-06-2014 02:58 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I dunno man. I mean the idea of god and religion can be seperated it seems to me.
There are plenty of non religious theists. My sister is an example. She believes in Jesus but you'll never see her in church. You'll never see her pray. You'll never see her do any of the religious things. Doesn't that mean that she isn't religious? Maybe. I dunno.
Maybe you meant something more specific? Or perhaps I fully misunderstand what you are saying? That been known to happen...

All deities come from a religion, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any Gods. Even if your sister believes in Jesus but she does not go to church, Jesus is still the product of Christianity, a religion. Without the religion the deity is invalid.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-06-2014, 03:46 PM
(14-06-2014 03:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 02:58 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I dunno man. I mean the idea of god and religion can be seperated it seems to me.

All deities come from a religion, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any Gods. Even if your sister believes in Jesus but she does not go to church, Jesus is still the product of Christianity, a religion. Without the religion the deity is invalid.

I think you have it sort of backwards. There would be no religions without deities.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2014, 03:49 PM
(14-06-2014 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 03:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  All deities come from a religion, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any Gods. Even if your sister believes in Jesus but she does not go to church, Jesus is still the product of Christianity, a religion. Without the religion the deity is invalid.

I think you have it sort of backwards. There would be no religions without deities.

That's true but either way God's and religions are connected, you can have a religion that doesn't worship Gods ie Buddhism, but whenever you create a God, you create a religion to worship it.

14-06-2014, 03:51 PM
(14-06-2014 03:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  ... Without the religion the deity is invalid.

You see them sometimes, usually in dark alleys, passed out, an empty spirits vessel clutched in one hand and an unvalidated denominational voucher crumpled in the other, senseless to the passing world, these religiousless dieties. In some locales they've become a problem: being immortal they never go away, so they accumulate. Pathetic as their condition is, none of them acknowledge each other, or make any effort to engage anyone or anything, they just glower haplessly between naps, eternally lonely. Sad crowd.
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
14-06-2014, 04:08 PM
(14-06-2014 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 03:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  All deities come from a religion, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any Gods. Even if your sister believes in Jesus but she does not go to church, Jesus is still the product of Christianity, a religion. Without the religion the deity is invalid.

But without religious thinking, in superstition, the base ingredient of religious doctrine, no explanatory deities need be developed.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
14-06-2014, 04:20 PM
(14-06-2014 04:08 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think you have it sort of backwards. There would be no religions without deities.

But without religious thinking, in superstition, the base ingredient of religious doctrine, no explanatory deities need be developed.

I suppose we ought to agree on a definition of 'religion'. I think it is an organization and set of rules and doctrines based around the concept of the supernatural.

I think people could share a set of beliefs in a deity without there being a religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2014, 04:27 PM
(14-06-2014 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:08 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  But without religious thinking, in superstition, the base ingredient of religious doctrine, no explanatory deities need be developed.

I suppose we ought to agree on a definition of 'religion'. I think it is an organization and set of rules and doctrines based around the concept of the supernatural.

I think people could share a set of beliefs in a deity without there being a religion.

A deity is a supernatural being, according to your definition of religion, people who share beliefs in a deity is considered being a religion.

14-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Also the deists have not been addresses. They certainly believe a god exists but one can hardly say deists are religious.