God is not a religion, religion is man made.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2014, 04:41 PM
RE: God is not a religion, religion is man made.
(14-06-2014 04:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suppose we ought to agree on a definition of 'religion'. I think it is an organization and set of rules and doctrines based around the concept of the supernatural.

I think people could share a set of beliefs in a deity without there being a religion.

A deity is a supernatural being, according to your definition of religion, people who share beliefs in a deity is considered being a religion.

No. As he said a religion is an organization. One can have a faith without a religion. Thats how I see it anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
14-06-2014, 04:54 PM
(14-06-2014 04:39 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Also the deists have not been addresses. They certainly believe a god exists but one can hardly say deists are religious.

Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-06-2014, 05:02 PM
[Image: images_zps62a98296.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-06-2014, 05:48 PM
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:39 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Also the deists have not been addresses. They certainly believe a god exists but one can hardly say deists are religious.

Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

Sure. But does that really matter? Are we talking about religions and gods as they were in the past or how they are perceived now?
14-06-2014, 05:51 PM
(14-06-2014 05:48 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

Sure. But does that really matter? Are we talking about religions and gods as they were in the past or how they are perceived now?

Were talking about Gods that have no roots in Religion, which has never happened to my knowledge.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-06-2014, 07:01 AM
(14-06-2014 04:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suppose we ought to agree on a definition of 'religion'. I think it is an organization and set of rules and doctrines based around the concept of the supernatural.

I think people could share a set of beliefs in a deity without there being a religion.

A deity is a supernatural being, according to your definition of religion, people who share beliefs in a deity is considered being a religion.

Not without an organization.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2014, 07:02 AM

Have you any evidence of that? No, I thought not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2014, 07:20 AM

You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.
15-06-2014, 07:57 AM
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.
I don't want to put words in people's mouths but... I think he is saying that deism is born out of religion. I can't say if that's true or not but your challenge will likely go unanswered. Why? Because it's irrelevant if god is man made or not in this context.
15-06-2014, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 08:09 AM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(15-06-2014 07:57 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.
I don't want to put words in people's mouths but... I think he is saying that deism is born out of religion. I can't say if that's true or not but your challenge will likely go unanswered. Why? Because it's irrelevant if god is man made or not in this context.

How can it be irrelevant if his whole argument is based on the assumption that the God deists believe in was created by the religious who are men and women?

Saying that the God deists believe in was created by deists is synonymous with saying that deists created the God they believe in, i.e. that God is a mere invention of man, an assertion which itself must be supported for it is a truth-claim. If no evidence is given, what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. Thank Christopher Hitchens.