God is not a religion, religion is man made.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 08:16 AM
RE: God is not a religion, religion is man made.
(15-06-2014 08:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 07:57 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I don't want to put words in people's mouths but... I think he is saying that deism is born out of religion. I can't say if that's true or not but your challenge will likely go unanswered. Why? Because it's irrelevant if god is man made or not in this context.

How can it be irrelevant if his whole argument is based on the assumption that the God deists believe in was created by the religious who are men and women?

Saying that the God deists believe in was created by deists is synonymous with saying that deists created the God they believe in, i.e. that God is a mere invention of man.

Ok. What am I missing here?
The title if this thread is
"God is not a religion, religion is man made"
Well god isn't a religion and religion is man made. I happen to think god is also man made but it isn't a religion. Anyway. We don't have to demonstrate that god is man made here. It's irrelevant because I think the argument is that god and religion are the same.
It's like arguing that Darth Vader is Star Wars and having a guy show up and and challenge the rest to demonstrate that Vader is man made. It's not relevant.
But I could be missing something here. I dunno.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
15-06-2014, 08:22 AM
(15-06-2014 08:16 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 08:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How can it be irrelevant if his whole argument is based on the assumption that the God deists believe in was created by the religious who are men and women?

Saying that the God deists believe in was created by deists is synonymous with saying that deists created the God they believe in, i.e. that God is a mere invention of man.

Ok. What am I missing here?
The title if this thread is
"God is not a religion, religion is man made"
Well god isn't a religion and religion is man made. I happen to think god is also man made but it isn't a religion. Anyway. We don't have to demonstrate that god is man made here. It's irrelevant because I think the argument is that god and religion are the same.
It's like arguing that Darth Vader is Star Wars and having a guy show up and and challenge the rest to demonstrate that Vader is man made. It's not relevant.
But I could be missing something here. I dunno.

Yea you are missing something. You are missing what the man said that I addressed.

He said:

"the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion."

apart from the conceptualizations of HUMANS there is no religion. Thus, the man is arguing that god is an invention of humans.

I could care less what the thread title is. I am addressing a specific post of his.
15-06-2014, 08:28 AM
(14-06-2014 02:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I've heard this a couple times today, when did this become a thing? I guess people believe that God is not apart of religion and is a separate idea. Where is the logic in this and why are people preaching this? I could go over the thousands of reasons why this is false but i'll save you the trouble of reading stuff you already know Thumbsup .

who have you heard say this?

Did you ask them what they intended to signify when making this particular statement?

Why ask atheists this question?
15-06-2014, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 08:45 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(14-06-2014 05:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 05:48 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Sure. But does that really matter? Are we talking about religions and gods as they were in the past or how they are perceived now?

Were talking about Gods that have no roots in Religion, which has never happened to my knowledge.
Ahh. I see. Perhaps you are correct. I can't see myself any god that's not rooted in a religion. But god and religion are not one in the same. I would say religion is much older an idea and the concept of god came from that which spawned more religions.
But at any rate I stand corrected.
15-06-2014, 08:46 AM
(15-06-2014 08:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Saying that the God deists believe in was created by deists is synonymous with saying that deists created the God they believe in, i.e. that God is a mere invention of man, an assertion which itself must be supported for it is a truth-claim. If no evidence is given, what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. Thank Christopher Hitchens.

Oh, you lovable trainwreck. No, that's completely ass backwards.

Until something is demonstrated to exist, one needn't address it.
(protip: this includes all gods and religions)

But I guess vapid knee-jerk reversal of the burden of proof is about all you have left, so knock yourself out.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-06-2014, 08:48 AM
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.
"Good luck" he says. Laugh out load

God being an invention of man has been clearly shown as far as theistic gods go. Only those who are unwilling to open their minds, unwilling to do the research, or simply too lost in indoctrination to even get started looking haven't discovered this yet.

As for deistic gods being an invention of man, that can probably never be proven, but I'm still waiting for even one reason to believe there is such a god. Just one reason. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
15-06-2014, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 11:03 PM by childeye.)
(14-06-2014 02:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I've heard this a couple times today, when did this become a thing? I guess people believe that God is not apart of religion and is a separate idea. Where is the logic in this and why are people preaching this? I could go over the thousands of reasons why this is false but i'll save you the trouble of reading stuff you already know Thumbsup .
God is not religion. It may be a part of religion, hence many images of god or gods have created many differing religions, but God and religion are not the same thing. Religion is man made to be sure. Let me show you how this is true. If we assume that God created the universe and the big bang was His energy as is required when contemplating God as Creator, then men didn't invent God anymore than they invented the universe. God in the truest sense applies to those things deemed eternal. Consequently, temporal beings can only speculate upon those eternal things.
15-06-2014, 11:00 PM
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.

I'll go all in at this point and state as a certainty that god(s) were not invented by woman.

Yes

Oh and ... Bayes. So there's that Drinking Beverage

15-06-2014, 11:05 PM
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

Good luck.

[Image: Stfu.jpg]

'god' is nothing more than a concept until there is evidence to suggest otherwise, evidence you have repeatedly been unable to provide.

Good luck dumbass.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-06-2014, 11:30 PM
(15-06-2014 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
God is not religion. It may be a part of religion, hence many images of god or gods have created many differing religions, but God and religion are not the same thing. Religion is man made to be sure. Let me show you how this is true. If we assume that God created the universe and the big bang was His energy as is required when contemplating God as Creator, then men didn't invent God anymore than they invented the universe. God in the truest sense applies to those things deemed eternal. Consequently, temporal beings can only speculate upon those eternal things.

Unless there is no God. Occam's razor and all that.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post