God is not a religion, religion is man made.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 11:48 PM by Michael_Tadlock.)
RE: God is not a religion, religion is man made.
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.

To the contrary. You would have to demonstrate either that god existed before religion, or the concept of god existed first independent of a religious concept (not sure that is possible by definition). Demonstrating that there is no God is not necessary to demonstrate that God as a concept originated from religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2014, 11:42 PM
(15-06-2014 11:30 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  God is not religion. It may be a part of religion, hence many images of god or gods have created many differing religions, but God and religion are not the same thing. Religion is man made to be sure. Let me show you how this is true. If we assume that God created the universe and the big bang was His energy as is required when contemplating God as Creator, then men didn't invent God anymore than they invented the universe. God in the truest sense applies to those things deemed eternal. Consequently, temporal beings can only speculate upon those eternal things.

Unless there is no God. Occam's razor and all that.
Had to look up Occam's razor. However, it is more probable that energy is eternal than everything came from nothing.
15-06-2014, 11:44 PM
(15-06-2014 11:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:30 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Unless there is no God. Occam's razor and all that.
Had to look up Occam's razor. However, it is more probable that energy is eternal than everything came from nothing.

Define 'everything', 'nothing', and 'eternal'; then we can try to determine which is more probable... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2014, 11:48 PM
(15-06-2014 11:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:30 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Unless there is no God. Occam's razor and all that.

This isn't really relevant to the argument. Your position requires more assumptions than mine does, which is not proof it's incorrect, but a good sign that it might be; ie if I don't make the assumption that god is real than god being a concept derived from religion is the most plausible.
15-06-2014, 11:56 PM
(15-06-2014 11:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Had to look up Occam's razor. However, it is more probable that energy is eternal than everything came from nothing.

Define 'everything', 'nothing', and 'eternal'; then we can try to determine which is more probable... Drinking Beverage

In this instance everything is all that was created from the energy of the big bang including the cause of the energy known or unknown. Nothing is the absence of all that is described as everything. Eternal is without beginning or end.
16-06-2014, 12:01 AM
God is not a religion, religion is man made.
(15-06-2014 07:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 04:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Deism branched from religion though, all who are deist were once religious and even if they are not religious themselves, the God they believe in was in fact created through a religion.

You would have to demonstrate that God is a mere invention of man in order for your argument to be of any merit.

Good luck.

[Image: d8ecc07e906127bf0fd4623504b7eca8[1].jpg]

YW.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-06-2014, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 12:14 AM by childeye.)
(15-06-2014 11:48 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Had to look up Occam's razor. However, it is more probable that energy is eternal than everything came from nothing.

This isn't really relevant to the argument. Your position requires more assumptions than mine does, which is not proof it's incorrect, but a good sign that it might be; ie if I don't make the assumption that god is real than god being a concept derived from religion is the most plausible.
I get that. But of course your definition of the term god is not the same as mine. I am defining God as that which is eternal. Therefore I am claiming that it is more likely that something is eternal than everything came out of nothing.
16-06-2014, 12:13 AM
(16-06-2014 12:07 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:48 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  This isn't really relevant to the argument. Your position requires more assumptions than mine does, which is not proof it's incorrect, but a good sign that it might be; ie if I don't make the assumption that god is real than god being a concept derived from religion is the most plausible.
I get that. But of course your definition of the term god is not the same as mine. I am defining God as that which is eternal.

This is an incomplete thought, to say the least.
16-06-2014, 12:18 AM
(16-06-2014 12:13 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:07 AM)childeye Wrote:  I get that. But of course your definition of the term god is not the same as mine. I am defining God as that which is eternal.

This is an incomplete thought, to say the least.
Respectfully, it would be helpful to explain why it is incomplete. I am simply stating what is self evident. It is more likely something is eternal than everything came out of nothing.
16-06-2014, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 12:33 AM by Michael_Tadlock.)
(16-06-2014 12:18 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:13 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  This is an incomplete thought, to say the least.
Respectfully, it would be helpful to explain why it is incomplete. I am simply stating what is self evident. It is more likely something is eternal than everything came out of nothing.

I assume you don't mean that "eternal" and "god" are interchangeable, as in "infinity is a sequence of numbers that goes on eternally godly". When you say god means "that which is eternal" you are likely implying something about the nature of god then. What this mean, how this changes the definition of god, and the application of "god" to the argument "god came from religion" is all unclear.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post