God is not a religion, religion is man made.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 12:33 AM by kim.)
RE: God is not a religion, religion is man made.
I don't see what the big deal is, humans have created many gods for thousands of recorded years.

Most likely perceptions and associations were the beginnings of most god concepts. I say most likely because we can never really know, only speculate.

When humans began to think, they also began to associate things beyond their control like rain or sun, with things within themselves which they could control, like desire or comfort. I'm sure it took a lot of practice to get the hang of things like want and hurt and how to avoid such things. Associating external with internal perceptions may have taken millions of years just to get humans to the "if, then" statements of an ever evolving conceptually perceptive mind.
The ancient Egyptians were a complex people with highly evolved perceptions who viewed multiple facets of reality. This is reflected in the gods they created to represent concepts beyond their control, with which they interacted with daily.

Ra was a god created by the Egyptians, this god came in different forms often with falcon like attributes... conceptually Ra was the Sun. Another god created by Egyptians was Horus who came in many different forms. A multifaceted concept, Horus is most significantly perceived as the sky.

Who knows ... Sun and Sky may have been gods for thousands of years before the Egyptians commandeered them and modified them to suit their perceptions.

Gods are a human construct to deal with the perception of things beyond one's control and associate them with what is within one's control.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-06-2014, 12:40 AM
(16-06-2014 12:23 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:18 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, it would be helpful to explain why it is incomplete. I am simply stating what is self evident. It is more likely something is eternal than everything came out of nothing.

I assume you don't mean that "eternal" and "god" are interchangeable, as in "infinity is a sequence of numbers that goes on eternally godly". When you say god means "that which is eternal" you are likely implying something about the nature of god then. What this mean, how this changes the definition of god, and the application of "god" to the argument "god came from religion" is all unclear.
Indeed, in scripture God is the Eternal from which all things came. That is a common understanding. And yes the math applies as a digital form of analogy. Consequently God precedes religion.
16-06-2014, 12:46 AM
(16-06-2014 12:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:23 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I assume you don't mean that "eternal" and "god" are interchangeable, as in "infinity is a sequence of numbers that goes on eternally godly". When you say god means "that which is eternal" you are likely implying something about the nature of god then. What this mean, how this changes the definition of god, and the application of "god" to the argument "god came from religion" is all unclear.
Indeed, in scripture God is the Eternal from which all things came. That is a common understanding. And yes the math applies as a digital form of analogy. Consequently God precedes religion.

Shoo fly!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-06-2014, 12:48 AM
(16-06-2014 12:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:23 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I assume you don't mean that "eternal" and "god" are interchangeable, as in "infinity is a sequence of numbers that goes on eternally godly". When you say god means "that which is eternal" you are likely implying something about the nature of god then. What this mean, how this changes the definition of god, and the application of "god" to the argument "god came from religion" is all unclear.

God being defined as eternal in no way changes the argument. In this chicken-and-the-egg scenario, this definition provides no justification that it was God that came first.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
16-06-2014, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 01:11 AM by childeye.)
(16-06-2014 12:48 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  Indeed, in scripture God is the Eternal from which all things came. That is a common understanding. And yes the math applies as a digital form of analogy. Consequently God precedes religion.

God being defined as eternal in no way changes the argument. In this chicken-and-the-egg scenario, this definition provides no justification that it was God that came first.
I respectfully disagree. An Eternal God would exist before mankind and before religion. It's that simple.
16-06-2014, 01:06 AM
(16-06-2014 01:03 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:48 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  God being defined as eternal in no way changes the argument. In this chicken-and-the-egg scenario, this definition provides no justification that it was God that came first.
I respectfully disagree. An Eternal God would exist before mankind and before religion. It's that simple.

This relies on that unsubstantiated assumption that god both exists and is eternal. Again, I think Occum's Razor applies.
16-06-2014, 01:06 AM
God is not a religion, religion is man made.
But even in that case, we know religion predates the human concept of gods, especially the omnimax monotheistic one. So religion would still predate a concept of god.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-06-2014, 01:08 AM
(16-06-2014 12:48 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  ... no justification that it was God that came first.

Mrs. God has been trying to get this across for, oh, since just forever, that NOTHING can justify God always coming first; it drives her crazy, the utter selfishness of it, leaving her to finish for herself EVERY time while deflated God just conks out and takes a snooze. Mrs. God has tried to start divorce proceedings over this very issue but all the lawyers are in the other place ...
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
16-06-2014, 01:10 AM
(16-06-2014 12:48 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  Indeed, in scripture God is the Eternal from which all things came. That is a common understanding. And yes the math applies as a digital form of analogy. Consequently God precedes religion.

16-06-2014, 01:13 AM
(16-06-2014 01:06 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 01:03 AM)childeye Wrote:  I respectfully disagree. An Eternal God would exist before mankind and before religion. It's that simple.

This relies on that unsubstantiated assumption that god both exists and is eternal. Again, I think Occum's Razor applies.
And again I will say, it is more probable that something is eternal than everything came from nothing. Why can't you agree with that?