God is not dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
God is not dead
So I watched the movie, "God is not Dead", just to see what they're up to.

As expected, its chock full of straw men, exaggerations, misrepresentations, twisting of words, and everything else associated with flim-flam con artists and their shenanigans. The list of details is great.

Anyone else see it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: God is not dead
Of course god is dead, he was beheaded in Oklahoma.
(Now that's a bad American joke!)
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
01-10-2014, 03:11 PM
(01-10-2014 03:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  Of course god is dead, he was beheaded in Oklahoma.
(Now that's a bad American joke!)

Wait. I thought he was shot at Ft Hood, Texas.

Hmmmm Consider
01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Yes, I have. My campus secular group has been invited to a screening tonight, to which I am not going.

First off, it's a bad film. The characters are all two dimensional. Now that's ok, it's hard to pull off in a dramatic piece, but it's not a deal breaker. But those cutouts either have to be set dressing or otherwise unexplored, or they have to be archetypes that are valid and accurate. This film fails in both respects. The atheist in the film are so preposterous that they don't function as archetypes, and they're explored too much to be simple set dressing for the development of a fully fleshed protagonist. Hell, Josh doesn't even count as three dimensional because he is static, he doesn't grow or change through the course of the story. He's just a boring generic stamp they could put on it.

Add to that the situation is preposterous. I get willing suspension of disbelief, but this was supposed to be set in the real world. Name one university where Rattison's actions wouldn't get him immediately terminated. One. That's ignoring the point that the job of a professor is not to pump out automatons, but to teach people to think. They don't want blind obedience, they want to have their students hold well thought out ideas and be able to justify them.

This is of course ignoring the side charecatures (sp?) in the film. The violent Muslim. The Chinese communist. The liberal journalist. The businessman. The first two are racist to the point of cartoonishness. The second just add to the strawmen of the evil amoral atheist. Last time I checked atheists held all sorts of political and philosophical positions.

This is of course ignoring the rampant anti-intellectual bull crap that runs through that film.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
(01-10-2014 03:21 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yes, I have. My campus secular group has been invited to a screening tonight, to which I am not going.

First off, it's a bad film. The characters are all two dimensional. Now that's ok, it's hard to pull off in a dramatic piece, but it's not a deal breaker. But those cutouts either have to be set dressing or otherwise unexplored, or they have to be archetypes that are valid and accurate. This film fails in both respects. The atheist in the film are so preposterous that they don't function as archetypes, and they're explored too much to be simple set dressing for the development of a fully fleshed protagonist. Hell, Josh doesn't even count as three dimensional because he is static, he doesn't grow or change through the course of the story. He's just a boring generic stamp they could put on it.

Add to that the situation is preposterous. I get willing suspension of disbelief, but this was supposed to be set in the real world. Name one university where Rattison's actions wouldn't get him immediately terminated. One. That's ignoring the point that the job of a professor is not to pump out automatons, but to teach people to think. They don't want blind obedience, they want to have their students hold well thought out ideas and be able to justify them.

This is of course ignoring the side charecatures (sp?) in the film. The violent Muslim. The Chinese communist. The liberal journalist. The businessman. The first two are racist to the point of cartoonishness. The second just add to the strawmen of the evil amoral atheist. Last time I checked atheists held all sorts of political and philosophical positions.

This is of course ignoring the rampant anti-intellectual bull crap that runs through that film.

You should go and laugh uproariously at the stupidity. Make your scorn obvious. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I saw it. Was not impressed at all. Lots of stereotypes not much plot or charter development. Not only was it a bad Jesus movie it was a bad movie.
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Re: God is not dead
I'm disa-ppointed! People actually have watched that

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-10-2014, 04:01 PM
It's not the worst christian film ever, the production seems OK, but it is still a really bad film.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
(01-10-2014 03:06 PM)TheBear Wrote:  So I watched the movie, "God is not Dead", just to see what they're up to.

As expected, its chock full of straw men, exaggerations, misrepresentations, twisting of words, and everything else associated with flim-flam con artists and their shenanigans. The list of details is great.

Anyone else see it?

I loved the ScathingAtheist segment on the movie; they did a nice take down of the film.
The segment is thus:
http://scathingatheist.files.wordpress.c...ra-009.mp3

Eli Bosnick: "It is the greatest experience you'll ever have as an atheist."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
01-10-2014, 04:35 PM
The title is right though, I mean something imaginary can't be dead.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post