God is not dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
RE: God is not dead
(01-10-2014 03:42 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I saw it. Was not impressed at all. Lots of stereotypes not much plot or charter development. Not only was it a bad Jesus movie it was a bad movie.

Too bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't around any more. They could have had a field day with a piece of shit like that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
(01-10-2014 07:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 03:42 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I saw it. Was not impressed at all. Lots of stereotypes not much plot or charter development. Not only was it a bad Jesus movie it was a bad movie.

Too bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't around any more. They could have had a field day with a piece of shit like that.

I used to LOVE MST3K!!!!

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
(01-10-2014 07:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Too bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't around any more. They could have had a field day with a piece of shit like that.

Indeed! Thumbsup Big Grin
01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
(01-10-2014 07:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

They are still around.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
(01-10-2014 04:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I loved the ScathingAtheist segment on the movie; they did a nice take down of the film.
The segment is thus:
http://scathingatheist.files.wordpress.c...ra-009.mp3

Eli Bosnick: "It is the greatest experience you'll ever have as an atheist."

Thanks, FT. That was hilarious!

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-10-2014, 08:17 PM
(01-10-2014 08:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 04:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I loved the ScathingAtheist segment on the movie; they did a nice take down of the film.
The segment is thus:
http://scathingatheist.files.wordpress.c...ra-009.mp3

Eli Bosnick: "It is the greatest experience you'll ever have as an atheist."

Thanks, FT. That was hilarious!

Big Grin

My pleasure!

They also did a review of "Heaven is for Real", and worked with another podcast to examine Noah.

... Now I feel like a shill..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
(01-10-2014 07:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 07:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Too bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't around any more. They could have had a field day with a piece of shit like that.

They are still around.

I was going to make a comment that I'd love it if they took on this movie (I am a total Rifftrax and MST3K fan), but I don't think even they could make this bearable. For this to become watchable, it'd need to be paused literally every minute to dissect and brutally mock everything that just happened. Rifftrax has the brutally mock part down, but not the dissecting.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Quote:I used to LOVE MST3K!!!!

PRINCE. OF. SPACE.

[Image: Prince.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
(01-10-2014 06:10 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 05:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I think the best way to watch that movie is the way me and my old roommate watched Twilight.

With a big bottle of absinthe.

Who's with me?

Are you speaking of a modified version of the fail raid drinking game? Every time someone makes a logical fallacy, take a shot. Every time they make a gross mischaracterization of their opponent, take a shot. Every time Christians are shown being unfairly treated take a shot.

Your liver will never recover.

That would be... one way to get through it.

But no, the rules - well, rule - we used to get through Twilight were thus:
If the movie is still terrible, keep drinking.

I'm thinking something similar might be required.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
(01-10-2014 03:06 PM)TheBear Wrote:  So I watched the movie, "God is not Dead", just to see what they're up to.

As expected, its chock full of straw men, exaggerations, misrepresentations, twisting of words, and everything else associated with flim-flam con artists and their shenanigans. The list of details is great.

Anyone else see it?

I saw it when it first came out (got sort of tricked - my religious family said we were going to the movies, which I thought would be harmless, and then BAM! I get smacked in the face with christian propaganda...).

Anyway, my take was the film's main point was to use made-up, flimsy atheist arguments and then knock them down with apologetics. Sort of like watching an atheist-theist debate with most of the atheist's comments cut out. Made it kind of a christian pep rally. But there were some secondary purposes as well:

1) Show how terrible muslims are, and while I'm not here to promote faith of any kind, it was interesting that they added a totally unrelated storyline just to attack muslims. Also seemed to imply that if muslims heard the christian message (like the muslim girl did) they'd obviously see the light and turn from islam.

2) Show that atheists are shallow and self-centered (Dean Cain's line about "what's in it for me was an overt example).

3) Show that if christians let women take the lead in a relationship, it won't be spiritually strong. The main character's girlfriend ordered him on multiple occasions to stop trying to prove the atheist teacher wrong.

So you can see that there was propaganda coming at you from many different angles, and as Foghorn Leghorn would say, it was as subtle as "a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal".
[+] 2 users Like dogerdog's post