God is not logically possible

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
30-08-2012, 11:22 PM

God is not logically possible
God, as we think of Him, is not logically possible. For God to be any kind of person at all would be such a limitation that He coulnd't be "God." If God is any kind of person at all, then He must be a contingent being--necessitating another God that made Him.

What that means is that if God exists, He must be so alien to what we think of as a being, that His existence is essentially meaningless to us. In fact, God as a creator of the universe, necessitates that God is completely arbitrary (chaotic if you will) in how He makes things. There could be no more order to the universe than there is in the pattern of white dots on a snowy TV screen.

If there was any order at all, then God couldn't be God, because that would mean that God had limitations based on predefined criteria in the selection of his creations.

God exists, but there is no way to understand what God is. If we can understand what God is, then that God isn't God. I have come to realize that in all my defining of God, I have only ended up with a mystery. "God is the monistic fundamental consciousness" is the same thing as saying "God is God." It sounds interesting, but it is really of no interest at all. It says nothing.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Egor's post
30-08-2012, 11:34 PM
RE: God is not logically possible
is this real life?

welcome to agnosticism Egor, you said it in a weird convoluted way, but that's pretty much it Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
30-08-2012, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 11:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Hey Eeegs,
Ya made it through hurricane ? Thumbsup
And yes, if god was a person, it would have a "personality". That's about as limiting as one can get

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
30-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:God exists, but there is no way to understand what God is.

So basically that is the same as a scientist saying "we don't know", just without the "god exists" bit.

Seriously, why hang on to this thought implanted in your head that there has to be a 'god'.

You can't explain the origins of all things just as much as some fancy scientist can, can't you just accept that we just don't know.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
31-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Glad you're dropping the fundamental consciousness thing, that was quite a load of convoluted bologna.

I came to atheism because I never really believed but someone told me I should. I realized after I became a self-identifying atheist that it wasn't so much that I believed god did not exist but that no evidence had ever been presented to suggest one ever need exist. As such, saying that if a god exists then it must be something we can't perceive is still no better than than your fundamental consciousness definition. Either a god exists or it doesn't and the only way to evaluate that is through evidence. As none exists, the most logical approach would be to first assume non-existence.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
31-08-2012, 06:51 AM
You amaze me more and more with each post, Ed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
31-08-2012, 07:15 AM
My guess is that this is simply the foundation for god is so unknowable, that he is beyond any human proofs of existence and therefore your petty requests for evidence are not applicable.
31-08-2012, 07:23 AM
(30-08-2012 11:22 PM)Egor Wrote:  God, as we think of Him, is not logically possible. For God to be any kind of person at all would be such a limitation that He coulnd't be "God." If God is any kind of person at all, then He must be a contingent being--necessitating another God that made Him.

What that means is that if God exists, He must be so alien to what we think of as a being, that His existence is essentially meaningless to us. In fact, God as a creator of the universe, necessitates that God is completely arbitrary (chaotic if you will) in how He makes things. There could be no more order to the universe than there is in the pattern of white dots on a snowy TV screen.

If there was any order at all, then God couldn't be God, because that would mean that God had limitations based on predefined criteria in the selection of his creations.

God exists, but there is no way to understand what God is. If we can understand what God is, then that God isn't God. I have come to realize that in all my defining of God, I have only ended up with a mystery. "God is the monistic fundamental consciousness" is the same thing as saying "God is God." It sounds interesting, but it is really of no interest at all. It says nothing.

Oh! My! God!

I must be more pissed than I thought. I'm hallucinating, I must be.

I'm almost tempted to add a rep point.

Egor, sir, I am impressed.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-08-2012, 07:28 AM
(30-08-2012 11:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:God exists, but there is no way to understand what God is.

So basically that is the same as a scientist saying "we don't know", just without the "god exists" bit.

Seriously, why hang on to this thought implanted in your head that there has to be a 'god'.

You can't explain the origins of all things just as much as some fancy scientist can, can't you just accept that we just don't know.

For some of us apostates, the weening period takes several years. Egor has come a long way in a short period of time...very impressed! Very...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
31-08-2012, 07:47 AM
(30-08-2012 11:22 PM)Egor Wrote:  God, as we think of Him, is not logically possible. For God to be any kind of person at all would be such a limitation that He coulnd't be "God." If God is any kind of person at all, then He must be a contingent being--necessitating another God that made Him.

Where's the source for this information?

Or is it just a fabricated opinion?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde