God is not logically possible

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
RE: God is not logically possible
[Image: 3qqn1i.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like fstratzero's post
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
(02-09-2012 07:36 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hold off the fucking Egor, yeah?

I like Egor, came here as His Holy Fucking Highness Prickness and is still around after realizing he's just another fucking ordinary asshole. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-09-2012, 08:09 PM
(02-09-2012 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 07:36 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hold off the fucking Egor, yeah?

I like Egor, came here as His Holy Fucking Highness Prickness and is still around after realizing he's just another fucking ordinary asshole. Thumbsup

I don't like people calling other people cunts, or talking about rape of partners; but then I have to ask myself why I don't like these things.

:/

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 08:28 PM by Mr Woof.)
(02-09-2012 01:05 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 12:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  How can you know nothingness is immutable? as I see it nothingness is also the absence of physical rules (as we understand them) and also logical laws, because is just nothing, it's not bound by anything, otherwise it would be something, ergo, something could pop into existence from nothingness because there's no rule that prevent it from happening. Nothingness could change its nature because there isn't an immutable state for it, because it's absolutely nothing including laws

Interesting. Basically you're saying that in a field of nothingness, anything is possible because there are no laws or logic preventing anything from happening, including something simply popping into existence.

But you've simply come full circle to a definition of God. If God exists, he must be beyond logic, because he is the creator of logic. He must be beyond laws, because he's the one who makes the laws, and he must be unlimited in his creative ability, or else he would be bound in some way, and to be God, he must be unbounded.

You are simply using the word "nothing" as an alternative to the word "God."

In fact, perhaps the only difference between God and true nothingness is that with God, things pop into existence for no reason whatsoever. True nothingness, however, could never do that, because it is void of all things and potentials, and that leads us to an absurdity.

In my speculative opinion that is. Rolleyes

If people use the word "God" as a means of understanding good action as perceived by them, within the bounds of logic, then they are making what seems to be a reasonable claim. They have externalized, to the best of their ability,differentiating between 'good' and 'not good' .

Any speculation as to 'God,' extant in the Universe, cannot make claims for such, that go beyond our cognitive abilities, en masse, to relate to the world we find ourselves in.
If gurus, masters, or priests tell us wild yarns we are best placed to ignore them.

Believers, by utilizing unjustified powers of God which give such a Universal/'Right' nature, do so with no real basis, other than the need to adopt pseudo power to enforce their various arguments.

AS for intuition and gut feelings, I do not think such should be fobbed off too quickly, nor should they be given too much governance.

With regards to "true nothingness" human activity, as language dictates, is 'something'. The God notion, as posited by many believers, seems to extend morality into ineffable areas to claim a too high ground that is essentially not theirs to claim.
02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
(02-09-2012 07:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Believing is not my issue. Professing that one's beliefs are logically obvious yet in the same breath saying that it is illogical it is a state of thought I can't wrap my head around. At least Paltrow-worship revolves around a known quantity that can be logically studied.

Yeah, man. Let's all gather in a farm upstate new York study to logical quantities of Gwyneth Paltrow. Heart

02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
(02-09-2012 05:32 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 01:17 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Disputes is'nt just caused by religion, we're mostly all athiest/agnostic here, we dispute all the time. In the absence of religion, ego will do just fine to make humans act like dicks Smile Where religion is dangerous, is that it demands absolutes, but again there are plenty here who are absolutist. Its lack of empathy, toleration or just not caring enough that'll keep us at each others throats.

Sad Good point, but I wasn't claiming that religion was the sole reason for disputes.

Fair enough, not saying you were. However, you do post a somewhat justified assortment of negatives concerning religion. I dont think Ive ever seen you, claim religion is solely to blame, but I dont rememver you posting such negatives about the otherside. Weather this a bias, or just a function of not having read all your posts I dont know, eitherway from what Ive read of your posts I suspect there is a bias, if thats wrong no biggy, I only suspect it based on incomplete data.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
(02-09-2012 08:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 07:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Believing is not my issue. Professing that one's beliefs are logically obvious yet in the same breath saying that it is illogical it is a state of thought I can't wrap my head around. At least Paltrow-worship revolves around a known quantity that can be logically studied.

Yeah, man. Let's all gather in a farm upstate new York study to logical quantities of Gwyneth Paltrow. Heart

And spoil all that emotive wonderment! Good God HoC!No
02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
(02-09-2012 11:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Could you please tell us how you think of "nothingness", fine sir.

The one thing that isn't, the acceptance of a universe without Egor. Undecided

I feel like an older prophet, but it is a good paradigm, to allow for the opinion you cannot imagine.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
(02-09-2012 10:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 03:24 AM)Humakt Wrote:  So what information, exactly, are you missing that you want ? What do you need explained ?

I am literally agog. Ideasonscribe, is not alone evidently in requiring some more education, I myself am ignorant as far as everything goes, perhaps you could educate us both further.

I've heard of gog, and magog, but never agog. Tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gog_and_Magog

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agog

Must try to not use words Smile.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
(02-09-2012 08:33 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 08:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, man. Let's all gather in a farm upstate new York study to logical quantities of Gwyneth Paltrow. Heart

And spoil all that emotive wonderment! Good God HoC!No

I'm thinking my Gwynnies is infinitely divisible. :/ :\