God is the best doctor!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
God is the best doctor!
Shortened version from a Facebook prayer chain... I wanted to scream-- the family believes god will heal yet they took the person to the best hospital in the area by airlift.

They believe only prayer will save the person through god... I wonder why are they bothering with medical treatment then? If praying to god is the solution then hospital or not and the person would recover. Oh yeah, they don't really believe god will do crap, they feel hopeless and feel like they should do something.

It's getting quite difficult to bite my tongue so to speak with this type of thing.

Anyway... Anyone have a standard response when invited to these things other than ignoring it (that's what I do know)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: God is the best doctor!
Which is worse:
a) the hypocrisy of this, or
b) actually being true to their beliefs and praying (only) that a divine being will intervene?

I'm sure we have all read stories where a child died of something easily (by modern standards) curable.

There are no christians in doctor's waiting rooms and airport lounges.

10-08-2012, 05:30 AM
A man and his friend take a cruise. The man loses his faith in God. His friend tries to console him but the man, overwrought, throws himself into the ocean. His friend throws him a life saver. The man pushes it aside and says, "No! God will save me!" The friend lowers a life raft and rows out, but the man refuses to get in, crying, "No! God will save me!" The friend signals the Coast Guard and in minutes rides a helicopter out to the man. The Coast Guard lowers the friend on a winch but the man screams, "No! God will save me!" A giant wave sucks the man into the deep where he takes his last breath and dies.

The man walks among the clouds in heaven and there, in the brilliant light of creation, stands God. The man demands, "God, you forsook me! Why didn't you save me," to which God replies, "What the fuck are you talking about, I tried three times!"

My understanding of the power of prayer is not that God sends some kind of magical radio wave that does all the work, but that God influences everything; including the airlift, the hospital and the doctor.

I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just saying I don't think that prayer and hospitals are incompatible in the Christian view. I think you're right that if they thought it was prayer and prayer alone that did the job, they would have stayed put.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
10-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Oh yeah? Where'd he get his medical degree?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-08-2012, 05:36 AM
So Ghost, what you're saying is that we have no free will but are basically puppets for God? So, he's punishing us for what he makes us do? Wow, that makes God sound like quite a sadist... O_o

Why should God get praise for it though? Why not his friend who tried twice or the coast guard who risked their own lives trying to save him? I just don't get that. Americans credit people for starting their own business but not for saving the lives of their fellow man. The logic is baffling.
10-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey, Sillinde.

I didn't actually make any claims about God. I made a comment about what I thought the Christian understanding of prayer was as a counterargument to the OP. Sooooooo buttons.

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
10-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Sorry, I noticed that but didn't quite find the words to express it, but that does seem to be the vibe it gives off doesn't it?
10-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Hey, Sillinde.

I have no idea what you're talking about but I don't like the vibe of it.

How do you notice that I said one thing, but find it so difficult to express that you suggest I said something else? That seems pretty deliberate to me.

Matt
10-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Hehe, I could express it well enough in Norwegian. I wasn't meant that you expressed your opinions, but the opinons you describe makes it sound like God is pulling all the strings. A human being doing something good is attributed to God, not his own inherent goodness.

Was that better?
10-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Hei, Sillinde.

Litt bedre. Takk du.

Jeg var bare en innvending mot til implikasjon at jeg sa noe som jeg hadde det. Får jeg beskyldt for å være en Theist eller en apologist mye. Det er irriterende. Takket være igjen.

Fred og Kjærlighet og Empati,

Mått
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post