God is the best doctor!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2012, 06:53 AM
RE: God is the best doctor!
Haha, artig! xD

Fant ikke ordene like lett, er ikke alltid så lett å bare dra en direkte oversettelse. Blir lett "It's not that fart that kills you, it's the smell".

Hvordan kom du inn på denne siden? Bor ikke i "bibel beltet" vårt tilfeldigvis?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Wow. Min translator kan ikke oversette det til noe sammenhengende lol. Jeg tror det var en kommentar på hvordan shitty min translator var lol. Noe om Bibelen belte? Sette meg ut av min nød, hjelp meg redde ansikt og gå tilbake til engelsk. JEG ikke snakker et slikke på norsk lol.

Fred og Kjærlighet og Empati,

Mått
10-08-2012, 07:36 AM
xD Awww, shoot. Actually that transplator wasn't all that bad. I'm used to that kind actually, a german friend talks like that so I figured you were an immigrant (germany is suffering from 'brain drain' so it's not uncommon to see them around tbh. Last two doctors who operated on me were german I think).

You don't talk a slick of norwegian. That sounds...perverse in norwegian actually. But yeah, direct translation you get something like "It's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell". Quote from a norwegian rally driver who's english abilities are...questionable.
[+] 1 user Likes sillinde's post
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Ghost,
Let me start by mentioning that I'm an atheist so you know where I'm coming from. The problem with that story you posted about the man in the water and God's three attempts to save him is God is supposed to be omnipotent. An omnipotent God wouldn't make attempts if he wanted to save the man, he would just do so and would succeed. Nor would he do so in such round about ways. This is the being that supposedly has the power to create an entire universe. With that kind of power, he could simply wave his hand or do some other simple thing - maybe just think what he wants - and the man would be saved. Anything else would amount to something on the order of game playing, but why would an omnipotent being need to play games?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-08-2012, 12:26 PM
(10-08-2012 11:31 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Ghost,
Let me start by mentioning that I'm an atheist so you know where I'm coming from. The problem with that story you posted about the man in the water and God's three attempts to save him is God is supposed to be omnipotent. An omnipotent God wouldn't make attempts if he wanted to save the man, he would just do so and would succeed. Nor would he do so in such round about ways. This is the being that supposedly has the power to create an entire universe. With that kind of power, he could simply wave his hand or do some other simple thing - maybe just think what he wants - and the man would be saved. Anything else would amount to something on the order of game playing, but why would an omnipotent being need to play games?

It's a joke about faith.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2012, 12:30 PM
The drowing joke is similar to one I've heard about god and the lottery. Basically a man/woman prays to win the lottery, every week, nothing. In the end the person asks why he didn't let him/her win, and god says "meet me halfway--buy a ticket". Which I found neat at one time, and interesting from another time when it basically said god helps those who help themselves.... i.e. help yourself god won't do crap but take the credit.

Hmm.... that'd be a neat slogan for a company.... "God, Inc.--we take the credit for others work"
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
(10-08-2012 12:30 PM)elemts Wrote:  The drowing joke is similar to one I've heard about god and the lottery. Basically a man/woman prays to win the lottery, every week, nothing. In the end the person asks why he didn't let him/her win, and god says "meet me halfway--buy a ticket". Which I found neat at one time, and interesting from another time when it basically said god helps those who help themselves.... i.e. help yourself god won't do crap but take the credit.

Hmm.... that'd be a neat slogan for a company.... "God, Inc.--we take the credit for others work"

Only problem is "God helps those who help themselves" isn't mentioned anywhere in the bible Tongue
10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
(10-08-2012 12:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 11:31 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Ghost,

It's a joke about faith.Dodgy

Thank you. I did realize it was a joke, but there was a serious reason for posting it, wasn't there? Or did I misunderstand? I thought Ghost's point was to use the joke to show that it may sometimes appear that God is not involved in influencing the outcome of a given situation when really he is, but we don't recognize his manner of working.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
He's the best mobster that's for sure. "Love me or your legs will suddenly not work."

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey, Sillinde.

Nope. Not German. I'm a Canadian.

Lol. It was supposed to say, "I don't speak a LICK of Norwegian."

Hey, Impulse.

Oh really? Do you know God? Does he call you at home? DO YOU HAVE A DORSAL FIN!!!

Again, my understanding of the Christian notion of free will was that he gave us all the ability to choose (hence the Story of the Fall). Thus he is an omnipotent being who does not have to exercise that power every moment of every day.

As for how God may or may not act, by all means, go on. Despite the fact that you're totally guessing, I'm listening intently....

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt