God lets people get raped if you don't pray.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2011, 07:42 PM

God lets people get raped if you don't pray.
So, on facebook one of my friends had the idea to post this as he quite the religious person.

"LOVE VS SEX . . A teenage girl about 17 had gone to visit some friends one evening and time passed quickly as each shared their various experiences of the past year. She ended up staying longer than planned, and had to walk home alone. She wasn’t afraid because it was a small town and she lived only a few blocks away. As she walked along under the tall elm trees, Diane asked God to keep her safe ...from harm and danger. When she reached the alley, which was a short cut to her house, she decided to take it. However, halfway down the alley she noticed a man standing at the end as though he was waiting for her. She became uneasy and began to pray, asking for God’s protection. Instantly a comforting feeling of quietness and security wrapped round her, she felt as though someone was walking with her. When she reached the end of the alley, she walked right past the man and arrived home safely. The following day, she read in the newspaper that a young girl had been raped in the same alley just twenty minutes after she had been there. Feeling overwhelmed by this tragedy and the fact that it could have been her, she began to weep. Thanking the Lord for her safety and to help this young woman, she decided to go to the police station. She felt she could recognize the man, so she told them her story. The police asked her if she would be willing to look at a lineup to see if she could identify him. She agreed and immediately pointed out the man she had seen in the alley the night before. When the man was told he had been identified, he immediately broke down and confessed. The officer thanked Diane for her bravery and asked if there was anything they could do for her. She asked if they would ask the man one question. Diane was curious as to why he had not attacked her. When the policeman asked him, he answered, “Because she wasn’t alone. She had two tall men walking on either side of her.” Amazingly, whether you believe or not, you’re never alone. Did you know that 98% of teenagers will not stand up for God? Repost this as Love vs. Sex if you truly believe in God. PS: God is always there in your heart and loves you no matter what and if you stand up for him he will stand up for you. I bet 93% of the people that read this wont repost it. I read this and reposted it. Well I bet you read this note because of the title, didn’t you. *GOD IS MOVING!* Smile *Share it to everyone! feel free to copy-paste OR share this note. This is not a private note. Repost it even if you're not a teenager"

This made me think:
1, Since the other girl did not pray, god let her get raped?
2, If the guy said there were two large men, wasn't he most likely on drugs?
3, 98% of teenagers probably realize that the probability of a god is substantially low
4, How was god the one that made me read it? It was false advertising.

What are your thoughts on this?
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2011, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 09:36 PM by 17thknight.)
RE: God lets people get raped if you don't pray.
I hate all these stupid chain-mail things, as 90% of them are pure BS, although surprisingly some turn out to be true. Let's assume, for the sake of the story, that God is real and intervenes in human affairs.
1. If you are going to directly intervene in human affairs (as opposed to being the "clock maker" god who winds up the universe then steps back and lets it go) then why intervene so lightly? Why not just smite the motherfucker? God loved smiting people in the Old Testament, why not that? "God protect me from that rapist" "YOU GOT IT!" the guy explodes. Why so subtle/light with the method? Makes no sense. You've already intervened and shown your presence to the only two people who could see you. Of course, perhaps God doesn't like to smite people and that's all just mythology. Okay, so he doesn't want to hurt the guy despite him being a rapist. So why not just make the guy suddenly not a rapist. *ZAP* You're not a normal and productive member of society. NO one hurt, and everyone better off.

2.I am all for God loving me. I think that would be wonderful. That isn't my problem with the story, my problem is: Why doesn't he love the girl who was raped? We've already assumed he exists, and intervenes in human affairs, so why do it for one person and not the other? If he loves you REGARDLESS of whether you believe or not (which I think is awesome) why would he only demonstrate that love to those that DO believe (which I find to be a dick move)? It seems entirely contradictory to me. I mean, if I had 10 kids, and i loved them all equally, I would protect them all equally, whether they returned my love or not.

3. WTF does this have to do with Love vs. Sex??? Is it some kind of trick to get you to read it?

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 03:57 AM

(22-09-2011 09:33 PM)17thknight Wrote:  I hate all these stupid chain-mail things, as 90% of them are pure BS, although surprisingly some turn out to be true. Let's assume, for the sake of the story, that God is real and intervenes in human affairs.
1. If you are going to directly intervene in human affairs (as opposed to being the "clock maker" god who winds up the universe then steps back and lets it go) then why intervene so lightly? Why not just smite the motherfucker? God loved smiting people in the Old Testament, why not that? "God protect me from that rapist" "YOU GOT IT!" the guy explodes. Why so subtle/light with the method? Makes no sense. You've already intervened and shown your presence to the only two people who could see you. Of course, perhaps God doesn't like to smite people and that's all just mythology. Okay, so he doesn't want to hurt the guy despite him being a rapist. So why not just make the guy suddenly not a rapist. *ZAP* You're not a normal and productive member of society. NO one hurt, and everyone better off.

2.I am all for God loving me. I think that would be wonderful. That isn't my problem with the story, my problem is: Why doesn't he love the girl who was raped? We've already assumed he exists, and intervenes in human affairs, so why do it for one person and not the other? If he loves you REGARDLESS of whether you believe or not (which I think is awesome) why would he only demonstrate that love to those that DO believe (which I find to be a dick move)? It seems entirely contradictory to me. I mean, if I had 10 kids, and i loved them all equally, I would protect them all equally, whether they returned my love or not.

3. WTF does this have to do with Love vs. Sex??? Is it some kind of trick to get you to read it?

Yes, it was a trick to get me to read it. And I agree completely. For such a kind loving father, he certainly likes to pick and choose who he cares about and protects. I guess that's where many get the "cherry picking" the bible from.
23-09-2011, 04:12 AM
I have read various versions of this story. it is just made up. why don't people look past the superficialness and try to understand what it is really saying. Let's say a young girl who has been raped read this, what does this say to her? God didn't care? Hes punishing me? Did I pray enough, wasn't I good enough?

the story is saying that rape has become the girls fault...she is at fault, every women who has every been raped goes through this self blame, but to think on top of that that god LET you be raped? if i every see it posted on anyones facebook page i will have a few things to say about it.

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2011, 07:14 AM
(23-09-2011 04:12 AM)Blythe Wrote:  the story is saying that rape has become the girls fault...she is at fault, every women who has every been raped goes through this self blame, but to think on top of that that god LET you be raped? if i every see it posted on anyones facebook page i will have a few things to say about it.

This.

My first thought when I read that was "so, we're blaming the victim now?". Fairly disgusting story in my view.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-09-2011, 07:52 AM

(23-09-2011 07:14 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(23-09-2011 04:12 AM)Blythe Wrote:  the story is saying that rape has become the girls fault...she is at fault, every women who has every been raped goes through this self blame, but to think on top of that that god LET you be raped? if i every see it posted on anyones facebook page i will have a few things to say about it.

This.

My first thought when I read that was "so, we're blaming the victim now?". Fairly disgusting story in my view.

What the big problem with this story? God LOVES rape...the bible tells me so.....

D
23-09-2011, 09:50 AM
(23-09-2011 07:52 AM)Denicio Wrote:  What the big problem with this story? God LOVES rape...the bible tells me so.....

D

He likes to watch Undecided
23-09-2011, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2011 02:47 PM by Blythe.)

Quote:What the big problem with this story? God LOVES rape...the bible tells me so.....

D

Many women have been raped, with extreme violence, date rape, when they have been drugged, past out, its not a joke to these women. The problem with the story is the serious harm it will do to people who are already badly traumatised .

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
23-09-2011, 02:52 PM

(23-09-2011 02:43 PM)Blythe Wrote:  .

Quote:What the big problem with this story? God LOVES rape...the bible tells me so.....

D

Many women have been raped, with extreme violence, date rape, when they have been drugged, past out, its not a joke to these women. The problem with the story is the serious harm it will do to people who are already badly traumatised .

Dont think we are making light of Rape, we are not. We are making light of the fact the bible endorses it, commands it and its followers somehow wiggle out of the obvous fact. Seth calls them Apolgist Acrobatics.

What's totally ironic to me is that the 'Family Values' that all christians claim they live by...are not in the good book. So i wonder where they get their morals.

I delight in the fact that i am more moral than the God of the Old Testament, as i assume everyone else here is too.

Rape is a terrible thing and how someone can be consoled with christian dogma afterwords should be a slap in the face.

D
23-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:Dont think we are making light of Rape, we are not. We are making light of the fact the bible endorses it, commands it and its followers somehow wiggle out of the obvous fact. Seth calls them Apolgist Acrobatics.

What's totally ironic to me is that the 'Family Values' that all christians claim they live by...are not in the good book. So i wonder where they get their morals.

I delight in the fact that i am more moral than the God of the Old Testament, as i assume everyone else here is too.

Rape is a terrible thing and how someone can be consoled with christian dogma afterwords should be a slap in the face.

D

In that case I apologise for my over reaction - one area I extremely sensitive about.