God needed another angel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
God needed another angel
Can someone explain to me where this thinking came from? It seems to imply that humans become angels when they die, though passages in the Bible like Psalm 8:4-5 and Job 38:4-7 show that man was created separately from angels.

It's obviously all just self-soothing mumbo-jumbo people tell themselves to deal with the fact that a friend or loved one is gone, but I'm just curious if anything in the Bible may have inspired it.

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Isaac Newton
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: God needed another angel
It's probably derived from Matthew 18:14 -"So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish."

But reading the parable of the lost sheep, Jesus is not talking about children, he's talking about lost people in general.
It's comforting to them to think children will automatically go to heaven, but there is not a single verse in the bible that supports it directly, it's only using loose interpretations of Matthew 18:14 to support the notion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Whenever I see your name pop up TheInquisition, I get the Mel Brooks song playing in my head from History of the World Pt 1.

Nonetheless a totally awesome reply

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
They say that about anyone who dies, they said it about my husband and he was far from being a child or an angel. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-10-2014, 11:58 AM
(07-10-2014 11:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Whenever I see your name pop up TheInquisition, I get the Mel Brooks song playing in my head from History of the World Pt 1.

Nonetheless a totally awesome reply

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Revs

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-10-2014, 01:04 PM
A child dies. The cognitive dissonance begins.

Theist thinks: "Why God, oh why?! He/she was so young!" Gasp

**clammy hands, cold sweats, upset stomach, and grief begin**

Theist continues: "It doesn't make any sense! Wait, but it MUST make sense. God MUST have a good reason. It must be part of his plan. Yeah that's it, he has a plan for the child." Yes

**starting to feel better now**

Theist continues: "Yeah, but what plan...? I bet God's going to make the child into an angel! Yeah, that must be it! And God couldn't wait because he needs an angel now!"

**feeling much better**

Theist continues: "But why does God need an angel now and why couldn't God just make one? Why take this child?" Consider

**dismisses cognitive dissonance outright; would rather feel better**

Theist continues: "Well the child's better off in heaven anyway. Lucky kid. I wish I could be enjoying the complete bliss right now too." Undecided

And from then on, no further thought required:
"God needed another angel."

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  A child dies. The cognitive dissonance begins.

Theist thinks: "Why God, oh why?! He/she was so young!" Gasp

**clammy hands, cold sweats, upset stomach, and grief begin**

Theist continues: "It doesn't make any sense! Wait, but it MUST make sense. God MUST have a good reason. It must be part of his plan. Yeah that's it, he has a plan for the child." Yes

**starting to feel better now**

Theist continues: "Yeah, but what plan...? I bet God's going to make the child into an angel! Yeah, that must be it! And God couldn't wait because he needs an angel now!"

**feeling much better**

Theist continues: "But why does God need an angel now and why couldn't God just make one? Why take this child?" Consider

**dismisses cognitive dissonance outright; would rather feel better**

Theist continues: "Well the child's better off in heaven anyway. Lucky kid. I wish I could be enjoying the complete bliss right now too." Undecided

And from then on, no further thought required:
"God needed another angel."

That's pretty much the line of thinking I imagine taking place.

Matthew 18:14 is close I suppose, but seems to deal more with kids (or people in general) going to heaven rather than actually becoming angels. My assumption is it's just wishful thinking on the part of Christians, but this verse is closer than I'd found. Thanks!

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Isaac Newton
07-10-2014, 09:39 PM
How many does he need?

He must have fucking billions by now...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user