God needed another angel? No!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: God needed another angel? No!
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. And that argument drives me mad. And "god works in mysterious ways". Like what on Earth can you say to this. People are delusional.
I want this song to be plaid at my funeral and I hope it'll make you smile, at least a little bit.
Galaxy Song - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (sorry the embed code doesn't work for some reasonSad
https://youtu.be/buqtdpuZxvk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
It's made it easy for me to accept that sadness will ensue for the loss but even easier to appreciate the memories made and that the individual passing along suffers no burdens and faces no uncertainty.
08-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Quote: "god needed another angel"

Then why didn't he create one instead of killing a mother with three kids? Oh, right. He's a dick, that's why.

My condolences to you, D/D. It's tough enough without having to put up with the bullshit of idiot believers who feel compelled to run their mouths about their fucking god all the time.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Very sorry to hear this news DD, that's heartbreaking Sad

How dare the theists try and score points off this by weaving it into their delusions. They only continue to make themselves sound more ridiculous. That's the problem with trying to continue a 2000 year old narrative that made no sense in the first place.

You're right, it must be worse for a theist dealing with death, because they don't allow themselves to grieve properly.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Sorry for your loss DD.

I lost a sister-in-law to breast cancer too.

I'm a medical practitioner with a particular interest in preventative medicine. I want to share something with anyone reading this. Most doctors do not know the following.

There are many causes of breast cancer but two of them are totally preventable… vitamin D deficiency and iodine deficiency.

Over three quarters of everyone I test for vitamin D levels have sub optimal amounts and I live in a sunny part of Australia. Vitamin D deficiency is also associated with increased risk of bowel cancer, melanoma, prostate cancer and depression. It is easily diagnosed with a blood test.

The Australian government claims that two thirds of Australians are iodine deficient. Breast cancer is almost unheard of in Japan where they eat a lot of seaweed which contains iodine. When Japanese women migrate to the United States it takes 10 years for them to develop the same incidence of breast cancer as American women. Iodine deficiency is also associated with gastrointestinal malignancies and probably prostate cancer.

We should all have our vitamin D levels checked and we should all supplement with a little bit of iodine.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
09-04-2015, 03:33 PM
I think the best way to respond to these people, if at all, is to say something along the lines of: shit happens.
09-04-2015, 08:36 PM
(09-04-2015 03:33 PM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  I think the best way to respond to these people, if at all, is to say something along the lines of: shit happens.

"Fuck off" works fine for me.
10-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Quote:We should all have our vitamin D levels checked and we should all supplement with a little bit of iodine.

So, Mark. My doctor always checks for vitamin D levels. When he started I was really low. I asked him if he wanted me to get out in the sun more....I'm in Arizona..we have lots of sun. He said, "no, because then I'd have to talk to you about sun screens." He gave me a supplement instead which I take dutifully. Every time I have a lab test it comes back just a shade under Normal. His assistant always calls with the lab results and always makes a point of telling me that my Vit. D is low and I always ask, "does he want me to take two of the supplements?" and the answer is always "No. You're fine...." Which makes me wonder what the hell the point is of having a "normal" level in the first place.

But he always seems happy with my lab numbers and I have long since concluded that my function is to keep him happy.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-04-2015, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 02:08 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(10-04-2015 12:41 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:We should all have our vitamin D levels checked and we should all supplement with a little bit of iodine.

So, Mark. My doctor always checks for vitamin D levels. When he started I was really low. I asked him if he wanted me to get out in the sun more....I'm in Arizona..we have lots of sun. He said, "no, because then I'd have to talk to you about sun screens." He gave me a supplement instead which I take dutifully. Every time I have a lab test it comes back just a shade under Normal. His assistant always calls with the lab results and always makes a point of telling me that my Vit. D is low and I always ask, "does he want me to take two of the supplements?" and the answer is always "No. You're fine...." Which makes me wonder what the hell the point is of having a "normal" level in the first place.

But he always seems happy with my lab numbers and I have long since concluded that my function is to keep him happy.

Hi minimalist, at the risk of hijacking this thread I'll share my opinion with you and just maybe a few others will take some notice too.

The best way to get vitamin D is to go out in the sun. This is best done between 10 AM and 2 PM when uVB rays are coming in. Do not get sunburnt. At the first hint of any redness or soreness get out of the sun.

The second best way to get vitamin D is as a supplement. Do not be timid about taking supplements if you have a low level. It is virtually impossible to overdose on oral vitamin D.

I don't know how switched on your doctor is about vitamin D, and units of measurement are different in America to here in Australia. Do not accept the pathology companies' recommended level. Optimal vitamin D levels should be at least double the usual minimum quoted by pathology companies. So if you are "a little low" you have less than half the vitamin D that you should be getting, and your health in the long term will inevitably suffer because of that. You need to be in the sun.

The health benefits of vitamin D have only become widely known in the last 10 years or so since we developed an assay to measure it in the blood. Most doctors are behind the eightball about this... At least in Australia.... I suspect it is the same in the USA.

Here is some education for anyone interested...

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/33/4/103/6

http://vitamind.mercola.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRbj2EjU38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtmvMvgfl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvBNQBCSsk
10-04-2015, 02:59 AM
(10-04-2015 02:02 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ...
The best way to get vitamin D is to go out in the sun. This is best done between 10 AM and 2 PM when uVB rays are coming in.

Can we conclude from this that vitamin D deficiency is not a problem for mad dogs and Engishmen?

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post