God needs rest? The devil is in the details.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2011, 05:26 PM
RE: God needs rest? The devil is in the details.
I don't think there's much point in pointing out Biblical inconsistencies to Christians, you only get one of two answers in my experience;

1) It's a translation issue
2) It's symbolic/an exaggeration of the concept

I got the second answer when I asked my Grandma about Jesus saying that people had to hate their relatives. She said that what it meant was that they had to love Jesus more than their relatives eg. the passage meant 'hate in comparison to Jesus'.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2011, 07:00 PM
(15-12-2011 05:26 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I don't think there's much point in pointing out Biblical inconsistencies to Christians, you only get one of two answers in my experience;

1) It's a translation issue
2) It's symbolic/an exaggeration of the concept

I got the second answer when I asked my Grandma about Jesus saying that people had to hate their relatives. She said that what it meant was that they had to love Jesus more than their relatives eg. the passage meant 'hate in comparison to Jesus'.

But it IS a translation issue. I even showed y'all the original Hebrew and what the words actually mean. I provided links with concrete linguistic evidence.

/sigh

...y'know what... never mind. Forget it. I give up. I'm going to find some more gifs and continue my rule in the This, That, and the Other Thing forum.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-12-2011, 07:02 PM
(15-12-2011 07:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But it IS a translation issue. I even showed y'all the original Hebrew and what the words actually mean. I provided links with concrete linguistic evidence.

/sigh

...y'know what... never mind. Forget it. I give up. I'm going to find some more gifs and continue my rule in the This, That, and the Other Thing forum.

I wasn't referring specifically to you. I was talking more generally. Though to be honest as a Christian you probably do overuse those excuses, I'm yet to meet a Christian who doesn't.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
15-12-2011, 07:06 PM
(15-12-2011 07:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 07:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But it IS a translation issue. I even showed y'all the original Hebrew and what the words actually mean. I provided links with concrete linguistic evidence.

/sigh

I wasn't referring specifically to you. I was talking more generally. Though to be honest as a Christian you probably do overuse those excuses, I'm yet to meet a Christian who doesn't.

So, if an excuse is true, it's still wrong?

DANGIT!!! QUIT MAKING ME POST WITH YOUR ATHEIST VOODOO!!!

15-12-2011, 07:16 PM
(15-12-2011 07:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, if an excuse is true, it's still wrong?

They probably are legitimate replies in a few cases but they are so overused that they are classed as excuses and not taken seriously, that's what you get for overusing a reply Big Grin.

Best
Worst
15-12-2011, 07:19 PM
(15-12-2011 07:16 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 07:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, if an excuse is true, it's still wrong?

They probably are legitimate replies in a few cases but they are so overused that they are classed as excuses and not taken seriously, that's what you get for overusing a reply Big Grin.

Ha! Almost got me to respond that time.

15-12-2011, 07:21 PM
(15-12-2011 07:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ha! Almost got me to respond that time.

You show impressive resilience to my atheistic powers, you will one day succumb though!

Best
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
15-12-2011, 07:23 PM
(15-12-2011 07:21 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 07:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ha! Almost got me to respond that time.

You show impressive resilience to my atheistic powers, you will one day succumb though!

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I believe I hinted at (or said) in my rant that the translation/interpretation arguments are mostly pointless, except to show literalists the error of their way.

Archeology, physics, and textual research show that the Bible is completely inaccurate in the history and cosmology presented.

So what it contains is not to be taken literally, and certainly can't be used as either proof or disproof of the existence of God.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2011, 07:58 PM
(15-12-2011 07:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe I hinted at (or said) in my rant that the translation/interpretation arguments are mostly pointless, except to show literalists the error of their way.

Archeology, physics, and textual research show that the Bible is completely inaccurate in the history and cosmology presented.

So what it contains is not to be taken literally, and certainly can't be used as either proof or disproof of the existence of God.

I agree with you, Chas, about the impasse that will invariably arise between an atheist's understanding of the Bible and a Christian's understanding. But this particular atheist "argument" is ridiculous and it's at least the third time I've said something about it in my month here.

I don't know a single Christian who thinks that passage means God took a nap. Nor, is it the "THEIST" answer to say it's an example of how to keep the Sabbath.

I have to side with KC on this one. It's not an excuse. It's not an interpretation error or anything else, but an Atheist's ignorance. God ceased his work of creation. Period. Full-stop. He's done. That's what the words say and that's what it means.

Now that the hard work of Creation is done, the Deity can begin meddling, and it's all down hill from there on out! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel