God no God its a belief thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 11:45 PM
RE: God no God its a belief thing
Just like the Moon landing faux pas, the "A" is the missing entity.

I don't believe in god can be interpreted all different ways by a theist.
I don't believe is "a" god is a cleaner definition and depersonalises it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 02:17 AM by Mr Woof.)
(19-05-2014 06:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  And to show this is simple just ask an atheist how they know this or who told them there is no God? they will reply I DID.

That's not true. The Bible showed me there is no God.

"I'm an atheist because I have read it."
Welcome to the Forum mchgroove.
I hope all the unwarranted flak you received didn't put you off too much.

Can of beans...
In alluding to the Bible you reduce the god concept to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
There are other views than this relating to a cosmic empowering force, to which we humans may somehow have some mysterious nexus.
Atheistic reductionism really needs to do more than simply negate the superficialities of Western religion.....
20-05-2014, 02:10 AM
God no God its a belief thing
(20-05-2014 02:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 06:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's not true. The Bible showed me there is no God.

"I'm an atheist because I have read it."

In alluding to the Bible you reduce the god concept to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
There are other views than this relating to a cosmic empowering force, to which we humans may somehow have some mysterious nexus.
Atheistic reductionism really needs to do more than simply negate the superficialities of Western religion.....

Those are the three major western traditions.

If you want to get into the eastern traditions, there's a while lot more Dadaism involved.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
20-05-2014, 02:14 AM
(19-05-2014 06:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ignorance on parade.Drinking Beverage

Are you interested in discussing why?

First two sentences of the OP

(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  I wanted to give my opinion on what a person believes as spiritual and atheist. Its really quit simple and there should not be such a debate surrounding it.

I think that we can guess that the OP isn't interested in changing their argument.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
20-05-2014, 02:34 AM
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  I wanted to give my opinion on what a person believes as spiritual and atheist. Its really quit simple and there should not be such a debate surrounding it.

You are right. That is indeed your opinion, mchgroove.

And it's wrong.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
20-05-2014, 03:07 AM
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  ...
ask an atheist how they know this or who told them there is no God? they will reply I DID.

A painfully presumptive OP but I think there is some truth in this last part.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Oh boy, what a new refreshing opinion by the OP. Dodgy

I'll just go and pray to myself now. Hobo

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
20-05-2014, 08:54 AM
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  I wanted to give my opinion on what a person believes as spiritual and atheist. Its really quit simple and there should not be such a debate surrounding it. A religious or spiritual person looks at life and creation that it is bigger then themselves and states that there is a greater power then themselves and the mysteries of life are not able to be explained by the mind of mankind. Therefore they turn there worship to a higher power. An atheist looks at life and creation as being able to explained by the knowledge of mankind, and not only by mankind but by there own individual understanding. Atheist therefore are a God unto themselves they have professed what is ultimate reality for everyone.
The 3 questions you ask. How did everything come into creation? By what or who created everything? And by whos autority is this given. An atheist will say, Nothing began creation, Nothing created everything, and by my authority I claim this as fact. A spiritual or religious person will answer. God was the beginning of everything, God created everything, and Its by Gods aurthority we believe this to be fact.
The difference is the worship of a higher power and surrendering to that higher power as having a greater mind then ours. Atheist believe in self worship, that they are the highest power and there is none greater. And to show this is simple just ask an atheist how they know this or who told them there is no God? they will reply I DID.
I was going to comment, but sorry, there won't be time left after I get done with worshiping myself. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-05-2014, 09:00 AM
(20-05-2014 03:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  ...
ask an atheist how they know this or who told them there is no God? they will reply I DID.

A painfully presumptive OP but I think there is some truth in this last part.

Yes

Why would you take anyone else's word for it? Consider

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
20-05-2014, 09:49 AM
(20-05-2014 09:00 AM)John Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 03:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A painfully presumptive OP but I think there is some truth in this last part.

Yes

Why would you take anyone else's word for it? Consider

Depends. Is this "anyone" cute?

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post