God no God its a belief thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: God no God its a belief thing
Aww.. Look at him standing on his hind legs... Just like Rory Calhoun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 10:02 AM
(20-05-2014 09:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 09:00 AM)John Wrote:  Why would you take anyone else's word for it? Consider

Depends. Is this "anyone" cute?

Blush

Debauchery! Angry

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
20-05-2014, 10:23 AM
(20-05-2014 10:02 AM)John Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 09:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Depends. Is this "anyone" cute?

Blush

Debauchery! Angry

Well, try to remember what DLJ mostly hears...... Want date? I love you long time , Joe ! Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
21-05-2014, 12:47 AM
[Image: 56169-50-cent-driving-Bert-gif--Imgu-lv8G.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-05-2014, 12:25 PM
(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  I wanted to give my opinion on what a person believes as spiritual and atheist. Its really quit simple and there should not be such a debate surrounding it. A religious or spiritual person looks at life and creation that it is bigger then themselves and states that there is a greater power then themselves and the mysteries of life are not able to be explained by the mind of mankind. Therefore they turn there worship to a higher power. An atheist looks at life and creation as being able to explained by the knowledge of mankind, and not only by mankind but by there own individual understanding. Atheist therefore are a God unto themselves they have professed what is ultimate reality for everyone.

If you're going to look at "all of creation", as in "the whole universe", religion tends to come off as more selfish. As someone who doesn't believe in a higher power, I can see how vast the universe is, and how tiny I am both in terms of the space and time I take up in the universe. I fully acknowledge that I am quite tiny in this regard. A creationist will will at it all and believe that God created all of it and then laser-focused on humans. That's far more selfish.

(19-05-2014 06:20 PM)mchgroove Wrote:  The difference is the worship of a higher power and surrendering to that higher power as having a greater mind then ours. Atheist believe in self worship, that they are the highest power and there is none greater. And to show this is simple just ask an atheist how they know this or who told them there is no God? they will reply I DID.

Just because one doesn't worship a higher power doesn't mean they worship themselves. You're going to have to provide some evidence for that assertion. Preferably evidence that doesn't involve redefining the word worship.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-05-2014, 05:13 PM
(20-05-2014 02:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 06:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's not true. The Bible showed me there is no God.

"I'm an atheist because I have read it."
Welcome to the Forum mchgroove.
I hope all the unwarranted flak you received didn't put you off too much.

Oh, Broooother.

Quote:Can of beans...
In alluding to the Bible you reduce the god concept to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
There are other views than this relating to a cosmic empowering force, to which we humans may somehow have some mysterious nexus.

....which all suffer the same common flaws as the imaginary sky fairies of judaism, xtianity, and islam.

Quote:Atheistic reductionism...

OH, look, a Big Word. How cute.

Quote:...really needs to do more than simply negate the superficialities of Western religion.....

Not when the conversation isn't wandering beyond the Western versions, no.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-05-2014, 07:47 PM
(20-05-2014 02:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 06:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's not true. The Bible showed me there is no God.

"I'm an atheist because I have read it."
Welcome to the Forum mchgroove.

Can of beans...
In alluding to the Bible you reduce the god concept to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
There are other views than this relating to a cosmic empowering force, to which we humans may somehow have some mysterious nexus.
Atheistic reductionism really needs to do more than simply negate the superficialities of Western religion.....

I have no idea what you mean by "atheistic reductionism", Woofmeister.

However, as an atheist, I believe in no gods at all, eastern, western, subterranean, water, sky, fire, or anything else.

And that's it. I have no onus on me to do anything at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-05-2014, 09:22 PM
(21-05-2014 07:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 02:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Welcome to the Forum mchgroove.

Can of beans...
Atheistic reductionism really needs to do more than simply negate the superficialities of Western religion.....

I have no idea what you mean by "atheistic reductionism", Woofmeister.

However, as an atheist, I believe in no gods at all, eastern, western, subterranean, water, sky, fire, or anything else.

And that's it. I have no onus on me to do anything at all.

It's a strawman.

Same thing as Jermy-boi's "materialism".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-05-2014, 11:32 PM
(20-05-2014 06:25 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Oh boy, what a new refreshing opinion by the OP. Dodgy

I'll just go and pray to play with myself now. Hobo

*edited for realism and accuracy*

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
22-05-2014, 05:03 AM
(21-05-2014 11:32 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 06:25 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Oh boy, what a new refreshing opinion by the OP. Dodgy

I'll just go and pray to play with myself now. Hobo

*edited for realism and accuracy*

Uhm...... I thought it was the same thing.. maybe I shoulda just said 'worship' myself. Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post