God no act in myserious ways

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 11:19 PM
RE: God no act in myserious ways
(15-04-2016 09:00 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  This has always been an awkward explanation.
While it may, somehow, give comfort to those who believe in it, it is nothing more than a cop out for events that are contrary to the idea of a omni-benevolent deity, but also an "auto-win" for the theist spouting it. Its like when Ken Ham asked Bill Maher if he was god, implying that there is no way he could understand without being god.
Working in mysterious ways is a non-answer, and its kind of funny, considering how much incidental information is perfectly clear, but the "important stuff" is not.
Omni benevolent? That's a new one to me.

Wouldn't it be hard for a mere human to judge said omni benevolence anyway, given their finite means of observation and comprehension?

Isn't that kinda like saying the world must be flat because it seams that way from our general vantage point?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2016, 12:27 AM
(18-08-2016 11:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Wouldn't it be hard for a mere human to judge said omni benevolence anyway, given their finite means of observation and comprehension?

How would you then judge an omnipotent being at all? How do you know it is omnibenevolent and not onmimalevolent in the first place?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
19-08-2016, 02:05 AM
It's hard to judge just how powerful a figment of your imagination is.

Our limited means of observation can only detect things that are real and actually exist.

I hear that if you wear rose colored glasses, you can observe all kinds of things that you couldn't see before.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-08-2016, 04:36 AM
(19-08-2016 12:27 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(18-08-2016 11:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Wouldn't it be hard for a mere human to judge said omni benevolence anyway, given their finite means of observation and comprehension?

How would you then judge an omnipotent being at all? How do you know it is omnibenevolent and not onmimalevolent in the first place?
Great point. The two nature's are opposite though, and can be told apart.

Indeed, I don't believe us to be in a position to judge GOD. Please don't confuse that with me condoning the blind following of any man.

Peace.

19-08-2016, 04:38 AM
(19-08-2016 02:05 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It's hard to judge just how powerful a figment of your imagination is.

Our limited means of observation can only detect things that are real and actually exist.

I hear that if you wear rose colored glasses, you can observe all kinds of things that you couldn't see before.
If it's stemming from your imagination then it is vanity and not generally of GOD in my opinion.

19-08-2016, 05:35 AM
(19-08-2016 04:36 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 12:27 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  How would you then judge an omnipotent being at all? How do you know it is omnibenevolent and not onmimalevolent in the first place?
Great point. The two nature's are opposite though, and can be told apart.

Maybe they are, but still we wouldnt be able to conclude which nature it is from actions alone we observe, because we just arent able to establish an unambiguous link between an certain godly action/activity and one of the two natures mentioned.

Thats the problem of the people who argue gods "mysterious ways" and refuse (or are unable) to define "good" by themselves. They wont be able to tell if they worship an omnibenevolent or omnimalevolent being.

(19-08-2016 04:36 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Indeed, I don't believe us to be in a position to judge GOD. Please don't confuse that with me condoning the blind following of any man.
noted Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Let's pretend god is a fractal image that appears to have a very complex structure.

As a finite being all you can see of the image is a very small portion that looks like a straight line.
We can call this line good and any deviation from this straight line is bad.

If we decide that our image of a god is a continuous, never ending straight line of goodness, then that is something we have created, instead of something we observed.

So far we haven't even observed a single point on that line that we might call a god.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results