God on European money

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 05:59 AM by Thammuz.)
God on European money
I was checking the coins in my wallet this morning, still half asleep, badly in need of a lare caffeine boost. Dropped a 2€ piece and noticed it had an inscription on the side: "God zij met ons". (translate as 'God be with us')

This was a coin from the Netherlands... you know, the most 'liberal' country with semi-legal marihuana, satan worshippers, endles hordes of whores, never ending parties and famous free speech (the reality is somewhat different, but okay, this how Fox news sees it). Imagine my surprise...

[Image: 220px-Rijksdaalders_met_randschrift.jpg]

A EU parlementarian asked the following question regarding the coin.
Quote:The edge of the Netherlands EUR 2 coin bears a reference to a God (God zij met ons). Although this characteristic of the coin is described in Office Journal (1), could the Council state which God (Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist, etc.) is being referred to? I feel that in our multi-faith, secular Europe it is important that we should know to whom the words on the coin refer.

This was the shitty excuse for a response:
Quote:The indication on the edge of the EUR 2 coin issued by the Netherlands, which makes reference to God, stems from a tradition in the Netherlands and was previously used for the national coins which have been replaced by the euro coins. This indication is in conformity with the decision of the Council to have an uniform European side and a national side for the Euro coins in order to increase the acceptance of these coins by European citizens (see recital No 10 of Council Regulation 975/98 on denominations and technical specifications of the Euro coins intended for circulation). It is therefore not for the Council to reply to the question raised by the Honourable parliamentarian

Strange...

Any other 'civilized' countries besides the US with this kind of thing?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
28-10-2014, 06:07 AM
RE: God on European money
So am I understanding correctly? One side is all the same, and then the other side and edge of the coin is different depending on which country issued it? If so, do the euros issued by other countries have it?

and that reply was the long form of " dude, I dont know, I just work here" Laugh out load

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Yups, every countries issues their own coins, even the Vatican (they are worth a fortune for collectors). Sometimes you get special issues, so one national coin can have X variations.

The Netherlands are the only one referring to God to my knowledge. There is no debate about this as far as I know...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
28-10-2014, 10:39 AM
(28-10-2014 05:19 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Strange...

Canadian coins still say "Dei gratia"; British coins still say that and "defender of the faith"...

... this is my signature!
28-10-2014, 10:46 AM
(28-10-2014 10:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:19 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Strange...

Canadian coins still say "Dei gratia"; British coins still say that and "defender of the faith"...

Which is ironic, as the title "Defender of the Faith" was given to Henry VIII by the Pewp before he broke with Rome. The faith he was "defending" was the Catholic one. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-10-2014, 10:48 AM
(28-10-2014 10:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 10:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Canadian coins still say "Dei gratia"; British coins still say that and "defender of the faith"...

Which is ironic, as the title "Defender of the Faith" was given to Henry VIII by the Pewp before he broke with Rome. The faith he was "defending" was the Catholic one. Facepalm

Yes, but then he made is own church, and defended that.

... this is my signature!
28-10-2014, 11:38 AM
(28-10-2014 10:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  British coins still say that and "defender of the faith"...

They might be talking about faith in the markets and in the value of the currency. It's pretty important for the economy.