God or Nothing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-05-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: God or Nothing
Quote: Egor Wrote: Seriously, when you think about it, how can there be no form of God? I mean if there were no God, why would anything exist? Absolute nothingness is a state that cannot change without conscious input of some sort. So, when you say you're an atheist, what you really mean is that you believe the universe has always existed--for eternity for no reason at all.

To me that's an incredible thought process that requires a complete crucifixion of the intellect--just like religion does.

If there is no god, there is everything else as usual, just no god.

Why would there be nothing? Everything will be exactly what it is - everything.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 01:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-05-2012 08:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Everything will be exactly what it is - everything.

Cut him some slack. "Nothing" = grief reaction/depression over loss, (of worldview). Very understandable. See hoc. Just withdrawal. All is well. The world proceedes apace.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-05-2012, 09:37 AM
(19-05-2012 05:43 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 12:12 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yet, How, What, Who, When, Where, and most importantly Why would there be one who gets his jollies from playing hide and seek from a natural universe that can be explained without resorting to a deity?

A. Why are you anthropomorphizing God? It's not about getting "jollies." Besides if it's true that nothing is the default state, then God is clearly evident.

B. How do you do that? How do you explain the universe without resorting to a deity. Just let me know how matter and energy came out of nothing--real nothing, not Lawrence Strauss's type of nothing, which is really just empty physical space.
A. Was just me being rhetorical. We mostly all anthropomorphize because, unless you're not a human, I don't see any other way of describing the visible world, except in terms we know.

B. Why does every question have to be answered in your lifetime?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Saying there was God and it created everything is no answer to anything. I don't understand how theist can ask so many questions and answer them all the same. The answer of God is only the beginning to another long series of questions. It is not an answer. How is God an answer? How? Seriously.

Let's say for arguments sake that God did create everything, then we can forget about asking why and just leave it at that for a moment... God satisfies your need for a how, so far as the universe is concerned, because now you have a causation for the universe and you feel confident in that because you believe there has to be a reason to everything and a cause for existence... but then theists always say that God is exempt from this law. God doesn't need a creator, God has always been and always will. Derp derp derp. That is in a word, Retarded. It is an answer that has no explanation or causation to explain how the universe has an explanation and causation.

Replace The big bang with God. We have more evidence for the big bang than God, but we still have no idea what happened before.

The argument that the big bang doesn't answer anything because there is no reason behind it, and there had to be something before it. Is fine, because we are actively searching for answers as to what came before if there was anything. But now replace the last sentence with God and erase the part about actively searching for any answers....

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2012, 12:37 PM
(19-05-2012 12:07 AM)Egor Wrote:  Seriously, when you think about it, how can there be no form of God? I mean if there were no God, why would anything exist? Absolute nothingness is a state that cannot change without conscious input of some sort. So, when you say you're an atheist, what you really mean is that you believe the universe has always existed--for eternity for no reason at all.

To me that's an incredible thought process that requires a complete crucifixion of the intellect--just like religion does.

What exists is the something that made up the myth of god.
Without something to invent the god proposition, god would not exist.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
19-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Nothing does exist, ever heard of the number 0? So, nothing exists, therefore god does not exist, or did I miss the point of your original question?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-05-2012, 12:51 PM
(19-05-2012 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Nothing does exist, ever heard of the number 0? So, nothing exists, therefore god does not exist, or did I miss the point of your original question?

Now see what ya did ! Weeping Number "0", in Mathematics, "nothing/nothingness" in philosophy, and classical "Idealism" problem, are 3 different matters, entirely. New can of worms opened here now. The "idea" of "0" exists in my head, (only). No ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Is it not possible to prove that the number 0 exists mathematically? And if the number 0 exists mathematically, then 0 represents a quantity of none, and that would mean that nothing exists?

Or I could just be trying to play with words.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-05-2012, 01:19 PM
(19-05-2012 09:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why does every question have to be answered in your lifetime?
Egor, you are a wonder to behold. When you set your mind to something, you throw caution to the wind... I like that! I think it's apparent that most people on the forum appreciate that about you as well. Thumbsup

You are in and intense area of "transition mode". You're getting used to a new skin; give yourself time. Everything is in flux. (It kind of always is, but you'll notice it more.)

Erxomai's above question is a good thought. Another thought in a similar vein:
When I reach to the edge of the universe, I do so knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Biologist. Tongue

Stay outta mathematics, you heathen. Big Grin

If zero wuz zero, Cantor wouldnae hadda invent the empty set, would he? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post