God's Irrelevance

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2015, 04:32 AM
God's Irrelevance
God's Irrelevance

I nice way of putting it:
'God – a ludicrous fantasy, designed to provide a career opportunity for the family idiot.'

'Religious belief is not a result of a recognition of an external reality but rather arises from inward patterns of thought – a fancy way of saying it emerges from the mind. A few shepherds many years ago created the greatest lie ever told and somehow nowadays people feel the need for it. It has become a drug under the pressure of many years of oppression. Yes, I am referring to Christianity. I got in a debate on the topic of the christian god, so that’s what I am talking about. Let’s throw muslims and jews in there too.'

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like rezider's post
27-07-2015, 04:44 AM
RE: God's Irrelevance
(27-07-2015 04:32 AM)rezider Wrote:  God's Irrelevance

'God – a ludicrous fantasy, designed to provide a career opportunity for the family idiot.'

'Religious belief is not a result of a recognition of an external reality but rather arises from inward patterns of thought – a fancy way of saying it emerges from the mind. A few shepherds many years ago created the greatest lie ever told and somehow nowadays people feel the need for it. It has become a drug under the pressure of many years of oppression. Yes, I am referring to Christianity. I got in a debate on the topic of the christian god, so that’s what I am talking about. Let’s throw muslims and jews in there too.'

If they really believed in heaven they would not mourn after a funeral. All that fuss when you will see them in a few years for eternity

"If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking will change it."
Richard Dawkins Bowing
I am part time vogon and owner of atheist websitehttp://proofevolutionisfalse.com
Best pal: Arthur Dent
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam Polter's post
27-07-2015, 06:04 AM

I know, that old nigga Rev. Martin Luther King, what a opportunist, and what a family idiot.
27-07-2015, 06:06 AM
(27-07-2015 06:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I know, that old nigga Rev. Martin Luther King, what a opportunist, and what a family idiot.

Yeah -- right along with Fred Phelps -- they're all angels, right????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-07-2015, 06:19 AM

My similar take is "if it is important to YHWH that I believe in him, then I'll take him seriously when he makes himself falsifiable". I'm not interested in any gods who have a deep desire for me to know them, and then promptly start hiding outside of space and time.

(27-07-2015 04:44 AM)Sam Polter Wrote:  If they really believed in heaven they would not mourn after a funeral. All that fuss when you will see them in a few years for eternity

Actually, most Christian funerals I go to, the preacher spends a good chunk of time talking about how awesome it is that so-and-so is with God, now. Of course, at my grandmother's funeral, he also spent a good chunk of time shitting on her memory saying that the most important thing in her life wasn't anything she did, but Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(27-07-2015 06:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

My similar take is "if it is important to YHWH that I believe in him, then I'll take him seriously when he makes himself falsifiable". I'm not interested in any gods who have a deep desire for me to know them, and then promptly start hiding outside of space and time.

(27-07-2015 04:44 AM)Sam Polter Wrote:  If they really believed in heaven they would not mourn after a funeral. All that fuss when you will see them in a few years for eternity

Actually, most Christian funerals I go to, the preacher spends a good chunk of time talking about how awesome it is that so-and-so is with God, now. Of course, at my grandmother's funeral, he also spent a good chunk of time shitting on her memory saying that the most important thing in her life wasn't anything she did, but Jesus.

Yeah -- preachers can be real fucks that way..... The asshole who did the service for my mother tried staring me down at the graveside service while he was praying and making sideways remarks in my direction.... I mouthed "Fuck you" several times for his benefit......

He lost.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-07-2015, 07:09 AM
(27-07-2015 06:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 06:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I know, that old nigga Rev. Martin Luther King, what a opportunist, and what a family idiot.

Yeah -- right along with Fred Phelps -- they're all angels, right????

They're neither all angels, or all demons. Nor are they all opportunist, and family idiots.
27-07-2015, 07:33 AM
(27-07-2015 07:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 06:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- right along with Fred Phelps -- they're all angels, right????

They're neither all angels, or all demons. Nor are they all opportunist, and family idiots.

Don't you have a background in statistics to really see the highlights and where the outliers roam?

It's not all angels & demons mr. Brown. It's not about that. It's about the masses and how the masses are effected. That's what people should truely more focus on for the betterment of the most. It's not the great man situation for sociology or history, those are misguided easy to point out factors but not the overall reflection. How we treat and harm our downtrodden is the important factor.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-07-2015, 07:38 AM
(27-07-2015 07:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 06:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- right along with Fred Phelps -- they're all angels, right????

A con man is a con man, regardless of calling him a preacher...

27-07-2015, 07:49 AM
(27-07-2015 07:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A con man is a con man, regardless of calling him a preacher...

I know you like to believe that most or all preachers, are conmen and tricksters, but this is never really the case. Many are honest, kind men, who truly believe their convictions. While there will always be Fred Phelps in the world, there will also be the Oscar Romeros, the Dietrich Bonhoeffers, Rev. Kings, William Wilberforces, Tim Kellers as well.