God's Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 09:52 AM
God's Laws
When Christians are asked why there are so many laws in the OT that they don't abide by (such as wearing clothes of different fabrics) they famously say that the OT laws don't apply anymore because we have a new covenant with God.

Then why are they constantly citing the ten commandments as important God-given laws that we must follow? What makes the ten commandments unique from all of the other absurd laws in the OT?

And what does it mean when Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-18

17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished" ?

Christians should either obey ever last law written in the OT, to the tee (because how can you sincerely make a distinction between one and another), or completely dismiss it as the OLD covenants and not worthy of obedience. But, for God sake, stop cherry picking!

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like mgoering's post
28-02-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: God's Laws
the age-old "old testament does not apply" is but a feeble excuse of a defense they have against atheists who rightly point out that old testament has lots of messed up shit. they know that old testament is brutal, so they try to distance themselves from it in front of atheists but will happily teach out of it and learn from it when they're at their church.

not to mention that sacrifice of jesus would be meaningless if there's no context from the old testament, so they're also effectively disproving their religion by distancing themselves from it anyways.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
28-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Bible and "laws" contained in it are nothing more than something which can be used to deny other same rights and still appear moral or "moral" at least in eyes of other believers.

As for cherry picking I prefer christian sticking to it, as treating Bible seriously would make world a worse place.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Matthew 5:17-20 King James Version (KJV)

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus Christ.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Old Testament, New Testament, are you fucking kidding me??? Both have been around for thousands of years. If that's not old what the fuck is?????

How about we bring a bit of honesty and accuracy to this, and henceforth call them "Old Bullshit" and "Really Old Bullshit"??????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Szuchow touched on the typical excuse for cherry picking I hear. The idea is you take the old laws and divide them up into moral, ceremonial, and civil laws, and say that only the moral laws still apply.

Of course, the two problems with this are that there isn't a clear justification for saying that moral do apply and that the other two types don't, and also, there's no rubric for determining what type of law something is. Is gay sex a moral law or a civil one? Or is it a ceremonial law (how do we know that God just didn't want the Levite priests being gay?)? How do we know that eating shellfish isn't a moral sin, since the same word to describe it is used to describe gay sex?

It's an excuse for cherry picking that raises as many questions as it answers. The trick here (for the believer) is to stop asking questions once you've answered the one you're trying to answer. This approach isn't for skeptics.

[Image: 032410_pennyarcade02.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
29-02-2016, 02:04 PM
(28-02-2016 09:52 AM)mgoering Wrote:  When Christians are asked why there are so many laws in the OT that they don't abide by (such as wearing clothes of different fabrics) they famously say that the OT laws don't apply anymore because we have a new covenant with God.

Then why are they constantly citing the ten commandments as important God-given laws that we must follow? What makes the ten commandments unique from all of the other absurd laws in the OT?

And what does it mean when Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-18

17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished" ?

Christians should either obey ever last law written in the OT, to the tee (because how can you sincerely make a distinction between one and another), or completely dismiss it as the OLD covenants and not worthy of obedience. But, for God sake, stop cherry picking!

I cite the "big ten" as commandments that atheists break, not as life rules to follow. The Decalogue says to not commit adultery. I go further and will not get emotionally involved with another woman or kiss another woman. The Decalogue says to not murder, I go further and resolve to love and forgive and not have any enemies--if I can.

ALL the Mosaic Law, even the ceremonial commandments, can be summed as love Jesus Christ and love your fellow man. Atheists may do one, just not the other.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2016, 02:05 PM
(29-02-2016 08:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Szuchow touched on the typical excuse for cherry picking I hear. The idea is you take the old laws and divide them up into moral, ceremonial, and civil laws, and say that only the moral laws still apply.

Of course, the two problems with this are that there isn't a clear justification for saying that moral do apply and that the other two types don't, and also, there's no rubric for determining what type of law something is. Is gay sex a moral law or a civil one? Or is it a ceremonial law (how do we know that God just didn't want the Levite priests being gay?)? How do we know that eating shellfish isn't a moral sin, since the same word to describe it is used to describe gay sex?

It's an excuse for cherry picking that raises as many questions as it answers. The trick here (for the believer) is to stop asking questions once you've answered the one you're trying to answer. This approach isn't for skeptics.

You are correct. There are difficult laws like marrying thy brother's wife that become problematic. You parse it this way:

If you break one law, you are a criminal.

Everyone has broken God's Law.

No one can keep God's Law fully, therefore, everyone needs Jesus Christ.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Q Cunt is Qunt. Bully the living fuck out of that mindless robot. Push him down on the playground. Punch him in the face. Taunt him. Drive him to suicide. He deserves it all.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
29-02-2016, 05:23 PM
(29-02-2016 02:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Szuchow touched on the typical excuse for cherry picking I hear. The idea is you take the old laws and divide them up into moral, ceremonial, and civil laws, and say that only the moral laws still apply.

You are correct. There are difficult laws like marrying thy brother's wife that become problematic. You parse it this way:

If you break one law, you are a criminal.

Everyone has broken God's Law.

No one can keep God's Law fully, therefore, everyone needs Jesus Christ.

Thanks.

Everyone needs Jesus Christ? I'll give you a good deal on a used one. I ain't getting any good out of him!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post