God's Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2016, 08:27 AM
RE: God's Laws
(29-02-2016 02:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 09:52 AM)mgoering Wrote:  When Christians are asked why there are so many laws in the OT that they don't abide by (such as wearing clothes of different fabrics) they famously say that the OT laws don't apply anymore because we have a new covenant with God.

Then why are they constantly citing the ten commandments as important God-given laws that we must follow? What makes the ten commandments unique from all of the other absurd laws in the OT?

And what does it mean when Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-18

17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished" ?

Christians should either obey ever last law written in the OT, to the tee (because how can you sincerely make a distinction between one and another), or completely dismiss it as the OLD covenants and not worthy of obedience. But, for God sake, stop cherry picking!

I cite the "big ten" as commandments that atheists break, not as life rules to follow. The Decalogue says to not commit adultery. I go further and will not get emotionally involved with another woman or kiss another woman. The Decalogue says to not murder, I go further and resolve to love and forgive and not have any enemies--if I can.

ALL the Mosaic Law, even the ceremonial commandments, can be summed as love Jesus Christ and love your fellow man. Atheists may do one, just not the other.

So the law that says it's an abomination to lay with men like you do with women is summed up as love your fellow man... Even when it's literally saying to not love a man like you may love a woman?

Laws to not lay with women when they're just after their period or laws of treating females as dirty in that context is via love of Jesus and fellow man? How so?

What it actually did was cause people to have barriers and few their fellow and different minded men & women disproportionately. It fueled far more harm for fellow man than it should of if that's the goal of the law.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2016, 08:28 AM

You are correct. There are difficult laws like marrying thy brother's wife that become problematic. You parse it this way:

If you break one law, you are a criminal.

Everyone has broken God's Law.

No one can keep God's Law fully, therefore, everyone needs Jesus Christ.

Thanks.
[/quote]

If it's true that no human can fully abide by God's laws than why give us the laws to begin with? And if God decided that we needed a get out Hell free ticket and the only way to pay for that ticket is to accept the brutal death of an innocent man (who is also God) than do we just live in chaos now? Can we all just act out of our base urges and steal from others, kill whoever you don't like, etc. and just believe that Jesus died for you and it's all good? Oh wait, we need to "love" our fellow man. According your God's version of love it's a very loving act to torture and kill someone, for the greater good. But, it's not a good thing for a sinful person to actualy have to pay for their wrong acts, they need to be forgiven, hence the human sacrifice. So if by "loving" you mean when your friend wrongs you, you go kill your kid, now you can forgive your friend, is that still wrong because it's a murder or was it loving because you didn't kill your friend, you killed someone else? The Bible can't decide what love is much less hate or anger or justice so it's not a good book to go by if you are trying to actually live a good, kind life.
[/quote]

You will want to think of God's Law like walls surrounding the field in a sports stadium, and policeman on the field. Both are there to protect the players on the field from the (sometimes incensed) crowds:

1. If virgins married virgins, would either transmit STIs?

2. If people didn't murder, wouldn't life be better protected?

3. If people ate less shellfish and pork, would they live longer?

Etc. with hundreds of the laws having direct and indirect benefits for all.

...regarding the rest of your post, people still pay for their deeds. A prisoner who trusts Jesus Christ while in jail receives eternal life, but the prison doors don't suddenly open. If we're honest, both you and I have suffered in the past because of sin. We still sin, still suffer, but Jesus offers eternal life:

He died a horrible death, a death by torture, to take away our imperfection. Trust Him today and you are saved.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2016, 12:29 PM
god's law........ optional if it disagrees with you, mandatory for everyoen if it agrees with you............. thats all folks
03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
(02-03-2016 08:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 07:18 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

You will want to think of God's Law like walls surrounding the field in a sports stadium, and policeman on the field. Both are there to protect the players on the field from the (sometimes incensed) crowds:

4. If we were to stone to death our rebellious children, wouldn't we rid our families of future embarrassments and inconveniences.

5. If we don't wear mixed fabrics, wouldn't we be less likely to make a fashion blunder?

6. If we disallow hunchbacks, dwarfs and people with festering sores or crushed testicles to approach the altar, won't we protect the rest of us perfect people from being grossed out while we're trying to worship our loving God?

Yes, there are hundreds of laws having direct and indirect benefits for all. And we've just listed six! Feel free to join in. This is fun! Big Grin

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 4 users Like mgoering's post
03-03-2016, 05:05 PM
(03-03-2016 01:19 PM)mgoering Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 08:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You will want to think of God's Law like walls surrounding the field in a sports stadium, and policeman on the field. Both are there to protect the players on the field from the (sometimes incensed) crowds:

4. If we were to stone to death our rebellious children, wouldn't we rid our families of future embarrassments and inconveniences.

5. If we don't wear mixed fabrics, wouldn't we be less likely to make a fashion blunder?

6. If we disallow hunchbacks, dwarfs and people with festering sores or crushed testicles to approach the altar, won't we protect the rest of us perfect people from being grossed out while we're trying to worship our loving God?

Yes, there are hundreds of laws having direct and indirect benefits for all. And we've just listed six! Feel free to join in. This is fun! Big Grin

7. If we kill all witches wouldn't our children be safe from being eaten and get better sleep since we won't have to hear their singing to Satan every night?

8. If we forced virgins who have been raped to marry their attacker wouldn't the economy be boosted by all the wedding gifts, cakes, dresses, etc. that need to be bought?

9. If we all had to have square haircuts since god forbids rounded haircuts wouldn't we all look more like Vulcans who are arguably the coolest aliens in Star Trek?
[+] 6 users Like SitaSky's post
03-03-2016, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 05:32 PM by SitaSky.)
(02-03-2016 08:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You will want to think of God's Law like walls surrounding the field in a sports stadium, and policeman on the field. Both are there to protect the players on the field from the (sometimes incensed) crowds:

...regarding the rest of your post, people still pay for their deeds. A prisoner who trusts Jesus Christ while in jail receives eternal life, but the prison doors don't suddenly open. If we're honest, both you and I have suffered in the past because of sin. We still sin, still suffer, but Jesus offers eternal life:

He died a horrible death, a death by torture, to take away our imperfection. Trust Him today and you are saved.

First of all most of God's laws are either unnecessary or just plain weird. Eating shellfish back when the bible was written would've been pretty risky since refrigeration hadn't been invented yet and pigs were thought to be filthy animals who ate garbage and rolled around in filth all day so that's why they were seen as unfit to eat, nothing to do with health since it says nothing about eating steak, bread or cheese and that's pretty unhealthy.

Life is protected because we have laws against murder but God wants his tribe to murder all people who aren't in his tribe, even the babies and they should be happy to do so, he's a hypocrite.

Just because virgins marry doesn't mean they won't cheat on each other and spread an STD to each other, they are also more likely to be unhappy about their sex lives so it might be better to wait for true love to have sex instead of waiting for marriage. Christians are also more likely to get divorced so there is no link between Gods Laws and happy marriages.

As a moral human who respects the life of all other humans and feels that blood sacrifices are moraly abhorrant the brutal execution of Jesus Christ is not a gift or a special magic that somehow allows me to be "forgiven" for whatever small crimes I may have committed in my life. I wouldn've rather seen Jesus live a lot longer and spread a message of brotherly love and kindness until he was an old man. Upholding a human sacrifice as being a good thing is completely immoral.
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
03-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
(03-03-2016 12:29 PM)Ace Wrote:  god's law........ optional if it disagrees with you, mandatory for everyoen if it agrees with you............. thats all folks

Feel free to try again, but this time, respond to what I wrote. But no, it's mandatory for everyone. If you were like 99% of the world, you would "get" that God will judge you for how you respond to God and how you love/don't love your neighbor.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
(03-03-2016 01:19 PM)mgoering Wrote:  

I've addressed all three of these laws on other threads, but you can feel free to address:

loving your neighbor, even your enemies

loving justice

honoring the Sabbath

honoring God

honoring your parents

Because God and men want to know about THESE laws now, including your parents!

04-03-2016, 09:57 AM
(03-03-2016 05:05 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 01:19 PM)mgoering Wrote:  4. If we were to stone to death our rebellious children, wouldn't we rid our families of future embarrassments and inconveniences.

7. If we kill all witches wouldn't our children be safe from being eaten and get better sleep since we won't have to hear their singing to Satan every night?

8. If we forced virgins who have been raped to marry their attacker wouldn't the economy be boosted by all the wedding gifts, cakes, dresses, etc. that need to be bought?

9. If we all had to have square haircuts since god forbids rounded haircuts wouldn't we all look more like Vulcans who are arguably the coolest aliens in Star Trek?

Israel, which would be destroyed for other gods, would sleep better killing a witch or two so that the two million Israelites could avoid death and judgment better, as we say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one!" Certainly, Jesus died one for many!

I've addressed the myth about raped virgins elsewhere at TTA.

The command not to shave the sideburns wasn't so legalistic people could grow long pais, rather, others would mourn for the dead by shaving their head and getting tattoos... can you blame God for not wanting all Israel to go "Dennis Rodman"? Drinking Beverage